Yesterday's Enterprise missing man

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Rÿcher, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

so Worf was on the "our" timeline Enterprise-D chatting it up with Guinan and drinking prune juice. But, wouldn't it have been cool if it was Worf's voice over the comm telling the Enterprise-D to surrender at the end of the episode?

2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

I've always wondered the same thing, and it would have been a perfect way to include him in the alternate timeline. No clue why they didn't do it - they must have thought of it.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I agree... would have been great!

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No. I think its better this way. Actually, they probably should've excluded one or two more of the regulars that actually showed up (excluding Tasha). The odds are the senior staff would have been more different than what we saw. They could have had Jack Crusher as Picard's first officer. No Wesley.

trekshark likes this.
  5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember expecting to see that very thing. (Worf, I mean). They may have felt that would really be pushing the realm of believability to do that. I think it would have been cool. Oh, well. What might have been....

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They worked Worf into the AU in Deep Space Nine and it just felt forced. Yesterday's Enterprise was great the way it was (although I like the idea about Jack Crusher), an "awwww it's Worf" moment would have been too hokey.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The script for it says that the Klingon Captain hailing them to surrender at the end could be Worf if they wanted it to be. They changed their minds in the end.

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, the thing to remember is that when we're dealing with a weekly TV series the audience expects to see their favorite actors week after week. Excluding more of the senior staff than they already did (Troi and Worf) would've ruined some of the "fun" in seeing alternate versions of these characters and it wouldn't of been as poweful, dramaticly, seeing different and beaten down versions of characters we've never met.

By all "logic" with such a spread thin Starfleet Riker would have his own ship. But it wouldn't of been any fun to see a new character we've never met there and as dramaticly powerful to see him die in the final battle.

So this is a case where TV practicality (not to mention the expense of getting even more extras beyond the guests they already had playing Garrett, Costeau and also Crosby back as Yar PLUS Whoppi. So it was already an episode pretty heavy on guest characters/actors.) won out over "dramatic believability."

I too did think that having Worf as the leader of the Borg armada would've been neat. And yeah a stretch on believability but, again, it's TV doesn't always need to be believable.

9. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Also realistically, the alternate Enterprise-D would probably have been bristling with considerably more weapons than our Enterprise-D has.

So much that they should've made short work of three Birds of Prey.

After the Vorcha class attack cruisers came out, I always thought that it would look cool to take out the Birds of Prey and replace them with the larger attack cruisers.

Maybe add some Defiant styled pulse phasers on the alternate Enterprise as well.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

That's an interesting point. It's not clear how powerful the alternate E-D was, but it's certainly logical that it did have more weapons than its counterpart (or at least, weapons that could be considered superior in terms of their damage and so forth).

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, we have to take into account the SFX budget and how it probably wouldn't have allowed them to make a new ENT-D model for one episode only. Or new effects that wouldn't be used for the rest of the series either.

The three BoPs were supposed to be K'Vort Heavy Cruisers, not the small ones we had seen earlier in the series. I'd think three of those may have been enough to take out the ENT-D since the ENT-D couldn't maneuver itself around or anything.

jackoverfull likes this.
  12. Lightbulb Sun

Lightbulb Sun Ensign Newbie

Here's a possible explanation to why Worf wasn't in the Alternate Timeline.

The Enterprise C was lost defending Narendra III in 2344. Apparently, this averted war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

In 2346, Romulans attacked Khitomer, home to a three-year old Worf. Worf was one of two reported survivors. The survivors were picked up by the USS Intrepid.

If War had been declared between the Federation and Klingons sometime between the Narendra III and Khitomer incidents, then the USS Intrepid would not have rescued Klingon survivors.

So, assuming that's true, Worf was dead at the age of three in that Alternate Timeline.

*shrug*

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^you are assuming Khitomer was attacked in the alternate timeline. There probably were a larger military presence over or near Khitomer due to its proximity to Federation Space. So there is a good chance the Romulans didn't bother to attack it.

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have been good, I agree. They could have done it very subtly, too. You either recignised the voice or you didn't. I've always lamented that they didn't do it.

15. Lightbulb Sun

Lightbulb Sun Ensign Newbie

Well, good point. haha.

16. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Well if they ever do a TNG-Remaster I would like to see the following happen with this episode:

The Enterprise-D alternate be replaced with the one from AGT.

Kvort or Neg'Vars in place of the Big BOPs. Or maybe a combination somehow.

More weapons-fire.

Visible damage to the E-D.

Better-looking Enterprise-C with moar damage.

Oh yeah and I want to see a freak high-voltage arc explode Wesley Crusher with the fragments of his demise taking out Riker and Data.

17. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

This plus eliminating Wesley Crusher, Commander Riker and replacing them both with Commander Jack Crusher as was suggested above.

18. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Can they replace entire actors like that? I thought a remastering just updated the sound and F/X?

19. PhoenixIreland

PhoenixIreland Captain Captain

Well the first draft did have Crusher being decapitated, perhaps that would have been a more fitting "valentine to the fans";)

20. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

The first draft had most of the characters dying horrible battle-deaths if I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.