Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

I answered it pretty well. Anyone who thinks Trek is in league with Superman or Iron Man is simply delusional. Just because I personally love it doesn't mean everyone does.

2. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhm Viacom/Paramount OWNS Star Trek and Bad Robot is just a production company. If Paramount isn't happy, they can easily be replaced.

3. BillJ

Keep hanging onto that dream. I'll see you at 'Star Trek 3 produced by Bad Robot' in 2016.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

1) Who said anything about fans ? I said attendance.
    2) I didn't say 400 million viewers. I said 400 million, meaning dollars. I also said I wasn't talking about profit from that figure, but attendance.

Is that clearer, now ?

5. Yminale

Here's proof I'm right
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_hollywood_economist/2005/05/gross_misunderstanding.html

Now where is yours

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, a film is "official" once it starts filming. Gotya.

See also.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

Abrams isn't doing the sequel.

Who cares ? The point is that your skepticism concerning the 2016 date is unfounded.

You think threads like these are representative of viewers in general ? Make no mistake, we represent a tiny minority.

8. Yminale

Ok If the average cost of a ticket is $5 (it's probably higher) and the current gross is $420 million and ignoring repeat viewings and piracy, you only get 84 million attendance.

9. BillJ

From your proof...

Which is what many of us have been saying all along.

10. Yminale

;) hence "official" (BTW these films weren't sequels)

11. Yminale

That point is not in contention between you and me. I merely remarked that Superman Returns performed similarly and they rebooted after a 7 year hiatus. Seeing Abrams is committed to SW, I don't see why Viacom/Paramount doesn't do the same thing.

12. BillJ

The biggest thing is that Paramount is seeing a growth in International markets with Star Trek Into Darkness. They won't do an about face now when those markets are showing an increased interest in this version of Trek.

13. BillJ

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-Blu-ray-3D-Still-Selling-Like-Hotcakes/12634

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep -m in effect - the theatre release pays for the filming costs and most of the ad costs - and essentially helps set up later home video, PPV, and pay cable movie channel (HBO, et.) <--- And that's where the studio rakes in the dough. They DO want good word of mouth in theatres and a decent run to bolster that as mush as possible.

15. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hit the brakes. Yminale is correct: any contracted production company can be booted from a film, as Viacom/Paramount does indeed own all things Star Trek, and can do whatever they wish to it (including bad things such as TOS-R and nuTrek). Whether or not BR has any ivolvement in a hypothetical third film is irrelevant--if P/V decide to pull the plug, it will happen.

16. BillJ

You're right, it's a brilliant idea to boot the production company that gave you the two highest-grossing Trek features ever and have penetrated international markets in a way Star Trek never has before.

I can't wait to get back to Berman Trek!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  17. TREK_GOD_1

Excellent point. Superman Returns was rebooted because they wanted to incorporate the character in the "Nolanized" DC Comics film universe, so a latter-day Donner-esque sequel would not fit, no matter how it performed at the box office. If a truly creative director/writer stated an interest in directing a ST film (particularly after having his own hit), and V/P thought he would literally take a 21st century ST where no ST has gone before, a reboot would be considered.

It happened with Superman Returns, and it happened with the Raimi Spider-Man series (all highly successful, but did not matter).

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's not "proof," and you're not right. That's an eight year-old article on Slate that doesn't support your simplistic claim to begin with, if you read the whole thing. :rolleyes:

But tell you what - since you think random links to outdated stuff are educational, why don't you go ahead and read a bit further into some of the rest of what that author has posted online about the way films are financed and how they turn a profit. You might actually start to get an idea of how much more complex the subject is than the "multiples of the production budget" foolishness you're repeating.

The Hollywood Economist

So what? That has nothing to do with what's going to happen in this case, as you probably actually know. Bad Robot will produce a third Star Trek movie for Paramount, to be released in 2016, with a budget similar to the last two. But continue trying to misdirect and distract. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  19. TREK_GOD_1

See my post on the Raimi Spider-Man films, which were leaps and bounds above the box office of nuTrek, but that series was rebooted with no hesitation.

Don't blind yourself with on-bended-knee devoiton to nuTrek, that you glide over historical reference proving the opposing point.

20. BillJ

It's hilarious that you say that while I'm sitting here watching A Private Little War.

The general idea was that Spider-Man would be rebooted after three films and that the Nolan Batman films would be rebooted after three films. The was no sequel to Superman Returns because it just wasn't a very good movie.

General audiences seem to like Abrams Trek, Into Darkness will out perform Star Trek 2009. Paramount isn't going to ditch a production company that has a property that was completely dead on the upswing.