the Star Wars Expanded universe

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by safarial, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Never to my knowledge, but I eventually gave up on Star Wars lit during the Vong war and never went back.

I'd say it would be a first, and I'd assume it would be non-physical time travel, with a Jedi or Sith somehow sending their consciousness back in time to their younger self using The Force, and thus altering the timeline. The superseded EU would then become a closed loop but still exist...

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

There's been several instances of flow walking into the past but you can really only observe events and not really effect them. Other than that there's been no time travel that I can recall.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In a Donner party situation, what do think Jar Jar would taste like?

Of course, it also depends on how well you cook him.

Can you imagine Gungan as the special ingredient on Iron Chef?

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Just read your link.

You may not actually be able to change the past (or future) when flow walking, but if you could somehow impart information or an idea to someone else...there's leeway.

It would be a neater and more satisfying option (to me at least) to reset everything to the end of ROTJ without having the post movies EU 'not happen'.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

That's true, and it's definitely possible (and even likely, IMO). But I also think it's possible they'll cherry-pick some things from the EU and ignore others (there could be a Mara Jade Skywalker, but she and Luke could have a daughter instead of a son, perhaps, and she could be the hero of the new trilogy, who knows?).

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

7. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too would prefer if some form of time travel would rewrite everything. That way at least it all happened, even if it can't continue to be the official story anymore.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, Abrams would do the exact same thing that happened in Star Trek '09, a current continuity character from the future travels to the past and resets the timeline? :lol:

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No, time travel is a bad idea. It's done more harm to Trek than anything else.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In an odd turn of events that character will still be Spock.

11. safarial

safarial Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We know there's a good chance Chewie will be back alive, and well because he's so iconic to the general public, who never heard of the Wu. We can forget about future characters named Anakin, because of Merchandising, and character confusion.
    Yje prequels, and the cartoon If they bring in EU characters, there'll probably be all new backstories for them.

12. safarial

With a new Expanded universe would you like them to start immediatly after ROTJ to the Sequel trilogy, or work backwards from episode seven back to episode 6?

13. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yeah, if they're going to get Ford and Hamill to play in the films, they're going to need a lot of makeup and/or CG to pretend that it's still 1983. Clearly they're not going to start immediately after ROTJ, safarial.

14. safarial

I meant in terms of books, comics, cartoons, and video games.

15. Pavonis

Why? The comics, books, and games will probably not be changed by the new films. Half the EU takes place in the past relative to Star Wars, so that part's OK. The post-ROTJ EU is the new playground, and well, too bad for the post-ROTJ EU now. It's like fan-fiction now.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

For all you know the next film is about an ancient threat that returns.

17. Pavonis

An unknown ancient threat could resurface, but how would it conflict with or overturn the pre-Star Wars EU stories?

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Any backstory stuff in the new movies may conflict with the pre ROTJ EU, but a lot of it should be O.K.

The new post ROTJ continuity will almost certainly cherrypick chunks of the old EU but it will invalidate the general direction of the novels.

I reckon Chewie will be back, Han and Leia will have different children, the Vong won't exist and I'd expect to see Mara Jade...

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah hadn't thought of that. It is a bad idea.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

GOOD :p