MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just saw it and loved it. I've been skimming this thread and lot of people seem to be chanting "Superman never kills" like it's some kind of mantra, but Byrne had Superman execute three Kryptonions all the way back in 1988 in Superman # 22 (Vol. 2).

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he was so fucked up over that that he exiled himself into space which opened a can of worms with Mongul. If Superman could have just gotten over himself, owned what he did, Coast City would have been fine and Hal Jordan would not have decimated the Green Lantern Corps.

3. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking that these super hero movies keep looking more and more like Godzilla movies, minus the rubber suits and models of course, and that series came about as a result of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Seeing it again (and even the first time), I had to chuckle a bit at Jor-El's "You can save all of them" line to Kal. Yeah... about that, dad. It's a nice sentiment, but I think you meant "most of them". Some of them are going to get crushed pretty badly.

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I didn't say the act was consequence free, I just felt it needed to be pointed out that in some cases even Superman feels lethal force is justified.

5. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

On a planet with a population of seven billion threatened with complete extinction, if ten thousand died he saved 99.9999% of them. You're selling it pretty short by describing it merely as "most of them."

6. Guy Gardener

That Superman was a couple reboots ago. :)

I think the current "Kal-El" since the New 52, is more pragmatic, not that I can think of any situation where he's cited that he will never kill when it looked like a realistic option, because %100 percent of the story telling so far has been disposable drenn.

Hellespont, who seems a little more powerful than Superman, as well as being the Emperor of the Daemonite Empire was being troublesome recently. You're not going to stop something like that with out a catastrophic loss of life.

7. Guy Gardener

You're counting nonAmericans.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Plus, Superman presumably killed the depowered Zod, Ursa, and Non in Superman II when he threw them down in the ice pits.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

10. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Guy I think you have confused things. Coast City was destroyed post-Superman vs Doomsday. Supes was dead at the time and everyone believed the Cyborg Superman was the real one. Cyborg Supes blasted through the Eradicator and decimated Coast City. Which lead to Hal Jordan going mad with grief and becoming Parallax.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. I was waiting for someone to say "One shall stand, one shall fall" at the end, and for Starscream to come down and kick ass. At least he's not as boring or as childish as Shannon's take on Zod.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think Superman kills Zod, Non accidentally kills himself, and Lois kills Ursa. It's a helluva day in the Fortress of Solitude!

13. Captrek

A deleted scene shows the arctic police taking Luthor and the depowered Kryptonians away, alive and in custody. If the bottom of the pits are covered in deep snow, their survival is plausible.

Even if we assume they died, he didn't kill Ursa.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Deleted scene is deleted. With nothing else to think, we are led to the default interpretation that they are all three KIA.

15. Captrek

Ack! I didn't see that you beat me to the comment about not killing Ursa.

I do think he's responsible for Non. He saw what was about to happen and from his position could easily have saved him, but he just stood there and smirked.

It's un-deleted in the ADigitalMan cut. Though not an official release, it's my favorite version of the film.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the army guys said it in the plane.

17. Guy Gardener

No sir, I'm just stretching the timeline like taffy. The Exile, becoming a Gladiator on Warwold is when Kal-El and Mongul first met Post Crisis. During the Exile is when they learnt to dislike each other and when Mongul decided to one day sooner or later kill Superman. So, as you said yeeeeeeeeeeeeears laters Mongul is working for the Cyborg Superman Hank Henshaw and together (Hank orders him to do it, but Mongul does all the heavy lifting.) they destroy Coast City transforming it into an engine as the first step towards making a new Warworld.

If Mongul never met defeat at the hands of Superman, the Cyborg Superman would never have had the tools to make a new War world, so who knows then how he would have expressed his inner asshole during the climax of the Reign of the Supermen?

However without Coast City biting it, a lot of good stuff upstream wouldn't have happened. Which is a discussion Booster Gold had with his sister a couple years ago when they were lost in time, and had to deal with the anihilation of Coast City all over again.

"You can't let 6 million people die Booster!"

"I can, and I must, lets just get out of here before we die too."

18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Just saw this last night. I'd dearly love that time back in my life so I could do something more productive with it. What an absolutely awful movie. No plot to speak of other than fighting, wooden acting, sexist to a severe degree, and mostly concerned with smashing up buildings. Cinematography was heavily derivative of much better productions, and half the movie seemed to be watching Kryptonian technology open and shut. Utterly mindless and with the depth of a mirage, with no fun to take the place of sense.

D-

19. Guy Gardener

Hey, that's a big step up form the punch in the balls the last Superman movie was.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Thank god, I was beginning to think I'd seen a different film to everyone else in this thread.

I would happily see Superman Returns rather than this.

Oh and apparently...