Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

You may be correct, but by lumping together all of the people who weren't fans of the Borg in VOY and calling them stupid he is basically calling me stupid, and that is something that I take offense at. It's childish, inappropriate, and it's no way to have a thoughtful discussion.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Go ask guys like Newtype Alpha about the 8472 aliens, he's a credible source for "There should be no one tougher than the Borg" argument.

Borg losing to anyone = Voyager ruined the Borg, and 8472 was their tool in this "heinous act". Of course, all of VOY's creations are considered worthless but the 8472 take the cake because they destroyed the fandom/hatedom's precious illusions about the Borg.

And all that thread brought up says is that "They should have used the 8472 for a VOY/DS9 movie" or somesuch nonsense.

3. AdmiralScreed

What illusions? That the Borg were the most powerful race in the galaxy? I never said that, and you know it.

This discussion would run much more smoothly if you would actually respond to my posts, rather than ranting and spewing your nonsense about fans that dislike the Borg in Voyager.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

You DID say that "Q Who?" and BOBW showed the Borg to be unstoppable and the Feds unable to do anything against them and this was how the Borg should always be portrayed.

"Scorpion" blew this all away by showing that they aren't unstoppable and there is at least one alien species in all of existence that can do something against them. This is totally against what you say their portrayal should be like.

5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think when MOST people talk about Voyager ruining the Borg, they're thinking more about the crap we saw in the latter years rather than anything to do with Scorpion or Species 8472.

I feel that if Voyager's exploration of the Borg was limited to Scorpion and Dark Frontier, not as many people would be complaining. For me, Unimatrix Zero is definitely where the Borg jumped the shark and Endgame was where it did a triple somersault over it.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Queen Asked Harry Kim on a date.

Can you lower the bar any further?

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Trek ripped itself off more than Predator.
    They were just retooled Naussican masks.
    Still, I'm surprised you found this ep. ripped off "Preditor" but never mentioned how "Distant Origin" is really "Planet of the Apes".
    No she didn't.
    She was threatening Janeway via Harry.
    She was telling Janeway, "If you keep fucking with my children, I'm going to come and fuck with yours."

Janeway was pissing the Queen off so much, she got ghetto.

8. Guy Gardener

So, you're saying that the Queen would be thinking of Janeway when she's making out with Kim?

I could see that.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Robert J. Sawyer's first volume in the Quintaglio trilogy, Far-Seer is the relevant source.

10. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow. Just wow. A lot of heated arguments in here today. I too can see the Borg Queen getting tired of Janeway/Voyager. So why did she simply not...I don't know... assimilate them already?

11. Guy Gardener

She had already assimilated samplings all the species aboard Voyager, and she had already assimilated a massive quantity of Federation technology so the assimilation of Voyager would be redundant, unless they proved to be a threat and even then it would be much more efficient to kill them outright, which is also a waste of resources, since according to Borg mentality, everyone on Voyager is going to volunteer for assimilation eventually.

As long as Voyager can't top warp 9.975, she only comes into conflict with the Borg when the Borg want to come into conflict with Voyager because her flight speed is thousands of times slower than any Cube in the Borg Fleet, and they have months to years warning of Voyagers approach, since that's about how well their short range scanners would have to be able to work if they were about to fly that quickly.

Not a threat.

Maybe it's like fighting a shark on dry land?

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

By season four, there's a girl with enormous boobs constantly running around in a skintight catsuit. So yeah, it gets better.

13. AdmiralScreed

That's about right. I believe that the Borg are at their best when they're a nearly unstoppable menace. They were a scary and genuine threat in TNG, and that's one of the main reasons I found them so captivating.

Going off on a slightly different topic, I don't think the Borg should have reappeared after I, Borg. They started to get stale in TNG's Descent, and so far on Voyager things haven't gotten much better. That's not to say that the Borg episodes have been bad. For the most part they've been fine, but not mind blowingly great like they were in TNG. I feel like the Borg are being overused.

14. You_Will_Fail

I think both Voyager's "Scorpion" and "Dark Frontier" were all better than any Borg episode we got on TNG. And it wouldn't make that much sense for Voyager not to run into the Borg at least once in VOY, I mean we got Seven of Nine out of it who I absolutely love and a great two-parter.
    There's also several episodes coming up that involve the Borg in some way that I enjoy.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

By that logic, they should never have re-appeared after BOBW because they were stopped in BOBW. Thus, no longer unstoppable.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

She doesn't want a "car", she wanted real estate.

17. Guy Gardener

"The Borg assimilate civilizations, not individuals."

Hugh. I Borg.

18. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And also, the show would be over.

19. You_Will_Fail

The Borg should always been trying to assimilate Voyager WHEN the opportunity arose.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

But there was always opportunity, because the Borg could go anywhere in the Galaxy with their Transwarp, had thousands of ships and likely sensor networks all over the place.

The problem was that the writers (going all the way back to TNG) overpowered the Borg too much. If they were going to go as far as they did in overpowering them to that extent, VOY should have been about a war to cripple the Borg threat rather than just using them as an occasional two-parter.