How long would it take to watch all the movies and series back to back

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Terran Empire, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Terran Empire

Terran Empire Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone.

I have wondered about this for a while. I am a huge fan of Star Trek, yet I have not had a lot of interest in some of the later series, or the animated one. I can't help but be humbled by just how much there is to see. I thought you guys might be more well versed than I with all the shows and movies to come up with a better estimate on how many hours of Star Trek there is too see.

I was curious if anyone has ever taken the time to add up how long it would take to watch every single episode from every series, and the movies combined. Of course, I wouldn't be interested in deleted scenes, or unaired episodes. Strictly what has been aired.

Does anyone know?

Has this ever been asked before?

Thanks,

2. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Re: How long would it take to watch all the movies and series back to

I think it was worked out to be around 20-something days not including TAS.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just for fun, I came up with 736 hours (counting TAS and all eleven movies). That's about 31 days . . ..

4. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does that count each episode as an hour or as 45ish minutes?

Using your numbers, if you sleep 8 hours a night but watch star trek at all other times it would take 46 days

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I counted hour-long episode as a hour, TAS eps were thirty minutes, and figured the movies averaged two hour each. And I admit I failed to take sleep into account!

If anybody wants to add up the exact minutes, feel free!

6. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since the episodes actually run about 45 minutes, it would take about 3 hours to watch 4 eps. Figure slightly over 75% of the time Mr. Cox figured, or 567 hrs., 35.43 days (24 - 8 = 16 hr. days). Make it 36 or 37 days to take into account potty breaks and food.

7. ChronoTrekOne

ChronoTrekOne Cadet Newbie

Actually, I've done the math and it's right around 23 days if you never stopped watching. That's accounting for actual episode lengths (no commercials).

Now in reality it would take you much longer than that. In fact, my friend and I recently watched every single episode and movie in chronological order (not counting The Animated Series). It took about 18 months from start to finish, and even that felt pretty intense.

I've often thought that there's easily enough content to support a "Star Trek Channel". You could almost program an entire month with episodes alone. Add commercials, The Animated Series, and other programing (behind the scenes documentaries, etc.) and you could easily go 6-8 weeks before repeating any content... and that's 24 hours a day. :)

Incidentally, we've recently started watching through them again from the beginning. If you want to follow along, our link is in my signature.

8. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

If you add up the running time of all the series and movies as they appeared on the US DVDs, you come to exactly:

23 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes, 32 seconds

That would mean no (bathroom) breaks, no sleep, no switching DVDs, no going through the DVD menus, no waiting for the legal disclaimers to pass, no ANYTHING but Star Trek.

edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that this is only live action Trek. TAS is not included.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

A more practical way of looking at it is, if you allocate 2 hours per day (7 days a week, continuously) for watching Star Trek, it will take you just about 278 days to get through it all (the last day will be 3 hours).

10. Scott1768

Scott1768 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Too long...

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

We talked about this a while ago when various people kept suggesting a 24/7 Star Trek-only cable channel. When we totaled everything up we realized there's no way there was enough material. Things would start repeating over and over very quickly.