Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 29, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

54.5%
  2. Above Average

31.8%
  3. Average

12.1%
  4. Below Average

1.5%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Average for the gun fighting, otherwise below for no one thinking of the god damn grandfather effect!

They can't stop the plane from crashing otherwise they would have never met and stopped the plane from crashing, thus they would have to crash!

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

No, you didn't. I didn't mean to sound catty ;)

3. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A channel (and CTV before) don't usually air previews anymore it seems. So if I don't see them, I don't see them. I don't go out of my way to see them. I do consider them spoilery as well.

I rated this ep Above Average. But I'd rather rate it Very Good. It was unfortunately a lot of stuff we could have guessed already. It was interesting that his mom knew that she was sending him back to get killed by her in the past. And very sad :(

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So, we've seen two versions of a younger Eloise Hawking. Well, here's a picture I found of a younger Fionnula Flanagan...

[​IMG]

5. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

An Excellent! Poor Dan:(

So, speculation:

Charles and Eloise make baby Daniel on island. Charles steps out on Eloise and fathers Penny. He is then banned from the island for being a cheating (on Eloise) and lying (to "Others") ass.

It got him a slap from Ellie anyway! :lol:

6. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really gonna miss Daniel. I really liked the character and the actor. :(

7. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

We first saw Dan weeping when he saw the flight 815 crash on TV in "Confirmed Dead" and again tonight. What was that all about?

8. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

He subconsciously knew that he was going to die, because technically it had already happened.

9. timmay2411

timmay2411 Captain Captain

^ I wonder if it's b/c his mind was time jumping and seemed to remember/see his experiences of interacting with the 815 passengers.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it the more mad I am that Faraday is gone. We still had so many questions from him. I wanted a whole flashback episode just about this time travel incident that messed up him and whatshername. I feel a little cheated on the story here like it was with Eko and Libby. Not to mention I was hoping Faraday would be central to the entire time jumping back to the future thing.

11. timmay2411

timmay2411 Captain Captain

What I don't get, is why did Eloise send Daniel back knowing full well that she'd kill him?

Unless it was for the same reason that she was pushing him so hard to study time/time travel..........what was that reason?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

She sent him back to die because he was always sent back in time to be killed at her hand. Whatever happened, happened. ;) I bet that killing her future son is the catalyst that changed Ellie from her militant self married to Widmore and turned her against him, leading to him going for some off-Island nookie, leading to his banishment, leading to Ben becoming the leader, etc, etc, etc...

13. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wait so Penny and Daniel are siblings?? Oh shit! Never realized that!

14. Wow that ending was just FUCKED UP! She sent her own son to his death! As did Widmore!!!! Holy Shiatttt!!!!

I can't wait till next week!

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Dude, that was seriously harsh---sending your own kid back knowing your younger self is going to kill him.

So...after the experiment, Daniel was time-jumping like Desmond. Going back to island saved him...and eventually killed him. How sad.

I wish we'd spent more time with Daniel and less with paranoia-Joe and the Dharma boys. Overall, I'd give it an Above-Average.

And after watching the preview, it seems Jack is out to do another bone-headed maneuver in order to "save" everyone.

*face/palm*

16. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assume something Jack & Kate do over the next episode or two has a big effect on the future/safety of the island, so Dan's parents had to send him back, even though it was to his death, so he could get Kate & Jack out into the jungle and tell them his plan. Thus preserving the timeline.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least Desmond and Penny aren't siblings.

18. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Overall I give this episode an "Excellent"

So, everything that happened, happened, BUT, there can be variables and they are the variables since they have traveled in time. Therefore, things CAN change! I find that very fascinating, and changes everything.

I loved learning about what the Incident is. Basically, a release of electromagnetic energy due to their drilling in that spot. Apparently it causes a catastrophe and similar to Chernobyl they have to cement it in and use a computer to release the energy so it doesn't build up. I love that. It is also my theory that The Incident might be the cause for why babies can't be born on the Island now.

So Penny and Daniel are siblings, and Daniel never got to know that, how sad, now he's dead probably (unless he comes back in ghost form which is possible.)

His mother sent him to his death, she knew she would shoot him, again pretty sad. Widmore is his daddy, very cool.

I was hoping Chang would believe Daniel was from the future, and I was hoping Miles would confess he was his son. That could have been a very interesting dynamic to explore there with Chang knowing.

Can't wait until next week!

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Excellent episode.

So in less than four hours, part of the Island will go Ka-Boom! I'm also convinced by the notion of "Whatever happened, happened", so the predestination paradox has to unfold.
    Can't wait for the end of the season.
    It looks like Richard has (or is going to) me(e)t everybody from Flight 815. Is that the reason why the Others have made lists?

EDIT TO ADD: Oh by the way, I need my goddamn John Locke fix!!!1!!1!onze!

20. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

Any ideas why Eloise from the 70's still looks so young? Older than the Eloise from the 50's. Clearly she ages when she leaves the island, and she ages on the island, but not as much.

Richard never ages, though.