Bendis' Powers to Become a TV Show ?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

FX seem to be interested.

Now, just don't take the superpowered characters' powers away randomly and you'll be on to a winner.

Bendis is responsible for one of my all-time favourite lines in comic books - "Listen up, bitchcakes. I'm Jessica Drew and what you just got a faceful of was my spider-bite. Where the fuck is Mattie Franklin?" and one of my favourite panels too (think New Avengers #31 - "Is that a Skrull ? That's a Skrull. Elektra's a Skrull ? Elektra's a fucking SKRULL !?!?)

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    This can be a kick butt show so long as it's not neutered. "Powers" can be really hardcore. It's a great mix of crime procedural, supernatural and super power stories with a touch of a humor.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Looks like it's a good thing that it's being developed for FX, so perhaps it won't be as nerfed as Peter Petrelli's powers.

4. Yassim

Yassim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I like Powers, I'm not sure it'll make a good transition to the screen. I've read most of it in TPB, and the end of each one usually has me saying "really? *That's* how it ends...?" many of the arcs end with the problem/crisis just ... going away.

Its strength is in the texture, the characters and the commentary on comic books. I'm not sure how satisfying that'll be... but I'll watch. :)

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^To be honest, I've been burned so badly by the shows I do watch right now that I probably won't even watch it, but at least the title gives me hope that the superpowered characters will actually get to keep their powers.

6. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm kinda wondering how this would work live action.
    ;(

I'd really rather see it animated....

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bendis' power is...uh, he bends things, right? And drinks a lot of beer?

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

His power is to write most of my favourite comic books. Hopefully that one won't get Petrellied anytime soon.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Vice Admiral

This is a great idea. With an emphasis on "Law and Order"-type drama, it could help bring comic books to mainstream television in a way Heroes cannot.

10. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I kinda like that idea, never read the books, but I do like his work in USM, so yeah could be interesting to watch. Basically CSI with superpowers. Maybe show what superpowers would be like in the real world, where they're still 'super' but not "gasp shock!"

I'd watch it, if only for a few eppys

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I don't watch a lot of FX shows, but I'll definitely check this out. Bendis rules.

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read a few Power's trades... yeah this could work. Probably have to change a few things to make it more friendly to TV, but it would be fun.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eeeehhh, I'm not so sure about this. Sci fi is already suffering from a cop show glut. I'd like to see all future sci fi shows be anything but connected to the cop show/law enforcement genre. That idea is really being run into the ground and then some.

And the one show I actually liked in this overstuffed sub-genre has been cancelled! :klingon: They should just bring back Pushing Daisies and make Ned a cop. He's got the perfect power for it.

14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

It's often a really good book. It's a promising premise for a TV show, too.