New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a younger Han if it was done right, but I suspect they'll probably steer clear of that early on since the new standalone movies are probably going to explore that topic.

And of course they have to somehow keep Han, Luke and Leia from ever meeting each other, which could get a bit tricky.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Well, it's not too tricky really. The SW galaxy is wide and big enough that a teenage Corellian, a shaggy-haired blonde kid living at a remote moisture farm on Tatooine and the adopted daughter of Alderaan royalty shouldn't be running into nor know one another before they're supposed to in A New Hope. Luke seemed to be stuck on Tatooine during his early years, Leia spent her time being raised in luxury and learning the ropes of galactic politics and high culture and Han was kind of a troubled youth if the EU books about his early years are going to be honored in any way by the creators and writers of the new show.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rommie: Nice. Well said!
    Actually I'm hoping for lots of Leia and none of Luke. Luke's closest affiliation with the Rebellion is that his friends leave to join before he reaches maturity. That's not much to draw on, unless we see his friends point of view joining and fighting the empire.

There's so much potential for Leia! Maybe as a child she started helping her pop out with running info for the rebels. I expect to see lots of excitement on board the Tantive IV.

Not sure about Han... if they plan to do standalones based on him at some particular age then maybe he doesn't really have a place in this series... who knows?

What will likely end up happening is an all new cast of characters with some familiar faces sprinkled in here and there for good measure.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the whole reason Luke wanted to get off Tatooine in the FIRST place was because it was so dead and lifeless there. So you can't have him getting in a whole bunch of fun, thrill-packed adventures beforehand.

Unless you count bullseying womprats in his T-16, of course (which I'm guessing Disney probably wouldn't consider very kid-friendly behavior anyway).

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No, I for one don't.

I'm kind of hoping she will just get a little screen time setting up how she survived Vaders purge, allowing her to turn up as an older live action character in the new trilogy. They really will need more Force users. The same goes for Ventress.

Han has a lot of potential for adventures, Leia only slightly less so. I don't think either will be the main or even regular characters though.

That's pretty much ALL I want to see Luke doing, apart from hanging out with Biggs, Camie and Fixer at Tosche station...

Wouldn't it be great if the last few scenes of this series were an animation of the deleted scenes from the start of what became known as 'A New Hope' ?

6. cooleddie74

Depends. Disney's not as big a collection of G-rated, politically correct sticks in the mud as some think (though they're never as edgy as most of us would like), so they might depict Skyhopper hunts but perhaps have Luke adjust the settings on the cannon of his craft to stun the womp rats and other targets instead of kill them.

"Bullseye womp rats" doesn't necessarily mean kill.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Or they might show him trying to shoot womp rats and missing. It's usually okay in cartoons to show people or creatures trying to kill each other, as long as they don't succeed on-camera.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Lucas never said the "because it means fewer midichlorians" part; that was added later in "whisper down the lane" style. Midichlorian count is a cell concentration as explained in TPM, not a total over an entire body; OT Vader thus would have the same midichlorian count as TPM Anakin. But there are other ways to impede Force use. Yoda may be naturally smaller in stature, but he's not cyborged, cut to pieces and on life-support. His statement about size was in context of the former as opposed to the latter.

Try the Force Unleashed games. Evil Vader is all over that shiznit.

9. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Well, killing small animals in your youth is a pretty good indicator for later blowing up hundreds of thousands of people "in defence"...;)

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They were animals, and he slaughtered them like animals!

11. cooleddie74

Farmboy Luke was even whinier than his father. If that's even humanly possible.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Small? They're "not much bigger than two meters." ;)

13. cooleddie74

Womp rats were CGI'ed into the Special Edition of Mos Eisley so we have a rough idea of how big they are based on the size of Luke's landspeeder as it zips by. If Earth had rats that big they'd probably have been hunted to extinction by now.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it once revealed (Shadows of the Empire?) that Vader constantly expends so much of his power just keeping himself alive that it keeps him from using the Force to greater extent?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's why Simon Kinberg, who is producing the new trilogy and writing a spinoff, is involved. So they can still do stuff like that and not have to worry about contradicting the movies.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.

17. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

If Luke does pop up, I think it will be as a background character to an Obi-Wan on Tatooine story. probably something along the lines of Luke being found out to be Vaders kid by some bounty hunters and Obi-Wan saves his ass without Luke ever knowing it.

18. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Luke's life would have been pretty boring until those droids showed up in his life.
    Leia though.... I can imagine she got into a lot of exciting situations helping out daddy, Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar, etc.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, someone brilliant and devious enough to figure out that they're both named "Skywalker"... ;)

20. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

is it public knowledge in the SW universe that Darth Vader == Anakin Skywalker? Did anyone beyond Obi-Wan and Yoda know and survive?