One Constant Star Cover Revealed!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brefugee, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just saw this on the Facebook group, The Trek Book Community or what ever it's called and even though they normally seem to repeat stuff from here, I thought I'd share the cover and do the opposite.

Its looks rather good and'll fit in nicely with the majority of the Lost Era published a decade ago!

Given Serpents is one of my all time favourite Trek stories, I'm rather looking forward to a story set on the Enterprise B again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Re: One Costant Star Cover Revealed!

I am very excited to read this and the cover looks very nice

3. Brefugee

Just noticed I spelt the name wrong in the title, have reported the error and hopefully it'll be changed when one of the Mods can get around to it.

4. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's wonderful. Love that it follows the other Lost
    Era covers. Well, except for The Buried Age and Terok Nor trilogy.

ncc71877:bolian:

5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

This cover image needs to be taken down. According to David R. George III, he doesn't want it shared like it is. He only wants it linked to.

Oh yes, the cover is NOT public domain just because it was posted on Facebook.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like it. Crap as usual. What is it with those 5 minute hackjobs for book covers?

In this day and age, posting a photo on Facebook asking not to use it is like leaving your car with open windows and the key inside (which most insurance companies take as the number one reason to tell you to fuck off). If you don't want your photos to be stolen, post them on a site using precautions, like one that disables right click and other saving options. Then one has to make a greater effort to steal it, like smashing the windows of your car and hotwiring it.

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Done

I'll happily change it to a link, but I don't use Facebook. Can someone post the link here and I'll put it in the original post.

Thanks!

8. Brefugee

Cheers for correcting that stupid spelling mistake.

It is also a link (kinda) already, one to my own photo bucket account and because not everyone uses (or seems to actually understand) Facebook and social media, I assumed, it could stay after seeing what JWolf put in here and repeated in private.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was actually me who talked to DRGIII there. Here's the link I posted in another thread.

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I rather like it. The (shuttlecraft?) front-window view with the nebula and star in the center make me very curious about what is going on. And I love that they returned to the prior style for the Lost Era covers! All in all, very nicely done.

11. Brefugee

I gathered, although kudos to you asking for permission to post the image, I didn't get it from his fan page, I got it from somewhere else unknowing of what he had unfairly requested.

I am fully aware that by posting the image, he may actually not post one again before Trek.com or S&S, but given the nature of Facebook and other social media, being open to everyone who wants to join (bit like here really) once an image like that has been posted, it will get spread and asking for it to be linked is just wishful thinking I'm afraid. Plus not everyone uses Facebook which I know, boggles the mind, it is true.

If it is decided to remove the image (which doesn't break the rules here) and create a link as requested by someone who hasn't been an active member of this site in several years, not since he took his ball home and refused to play anymore, then so be it. But as I said, I wasn't aware of the request, I didn't get the image from his own fan page, but somewhere else and he posted it on Facebook.

Anyway, what did you think of the image?

12. JWolf

13. JWolf

As for the cover itself, I rather like it.

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like how it's consistent with the cover setup for the 2003 Lost Era books!

I wonder if Section 31: Disavowed's cover will follow the same design scheme they used for the 2001 Star Trek: Section 31 books?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I completely understand how you came across the image, and that you didn't mean any harm, but I just thought since he asked that it not be copied, I would point that out here.
    As for the cover, I like it. I'm glad they are going back to the style of the first batch of TLE books. I was disappointed when they didn't use it for the Terok Nor trilogy or The Buried Age.

16. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

There's no suggestion Dimesdan has done anything wrong - he took a freely available image and posted it here. Not a problem.

And while it is true that once anything is posted on the internet it's out in the wild and can't be contained, David R. George has asked for links to his facebook page and since it's easy enough to do, I like to oblige.

You don't need to be a member of Facebook to see that page, just click on the link.

17. JWolf

I too am glad S&S went back to the old Lost Era style. This cover is one of the better covers we've had in a long time. A lot of the recent covers have just been pretty bland.

18. OverlordSpock

OverlordSpock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I LOVE the throwback to the original Lost Era covers. I was so disappointed when "The Buried Age" didn't follow suit.

I'm not 100% sold on the image itself, but I'm not against it either. It's better than floating Photoshop heads, so there IS that...

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure what would've been a good choice of ship image if The Buried Age had followed the previous cover design. There are several different featured ships in the course of the book.

Besides, it was felt at the time that the book would be more marketable as a TNG novel than a Lost Era novel. And it is essentially an origin story for TNG, much as Terok Nor is an origin story for DS9. The other TLE books are either focused on ships that didn't have their own series (Excelsior, E-B, E-C) or crossing over characters and events from multiple series, so there's nothing to label them with other than TLE. But the others are arguably TNG/DS9 first and TLE second.

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral