Every Star Trek Blueprint in existence!?!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by sojourner, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember that an early version of Auto Cad came with a Constitution class sample file but the history on it escapes me. When I was studying drafting during the late 80ies the Unigraphics system we were learning about had a Constitution class sample drawing in its sample Files. I Kit bashed quite a few Franz Josephs ships and Plotted them to hard copy. only 3 copies existed One copy went to my Drafting Instuctor for his son, another went to a friend who helped me on those lunch hours and I have the third copy.

Looking at the both pictures its looks somewhat Like the Unigraphics file
    Sample.

Could you get an over all view of the picture

Very nice what I can see

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Bernard Guignard

3. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Cool article!

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That probably explains the origin of the plotter-print of the Conny someone found when they cleaned out our CAD section here.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That looks like FJ's saucer on the Matt Jefferies MOST super sleek secondary hull. FJ's is also teardropped but a bit shorter on his blueprint set

6. Jag2112

Jag2112 Commander Red Shirt

Hey everyone-

It's been a couple of months since the last update to the Star Trek LCARS Blueprints dB site.

I'm working on some additions now which I hope to have online soon.

I'm also taking requests from the plethora of technical manuals that I have in my possession. So if you're interested in putting in a request for a tech-manual to be scanned/uploaded, let me know (more info on how to put in a request is available HERE.

Finally, on a non-Trek related matter which I hope you'll all forgive me for asking, but I could use some support from my Trek friends.

Those of you who know me or my site (Cygnus-X1.net) know that I'm also a fan of the rock band Rush. I'm currently enrolled in a contest to try and win some tickets to an upcoming Rush concert, along with some other goodies.

The contest is based on public votes...so if I could humbly ask for your support and votes, I would REALLY appreciate it.

You can cast your vote directly at this LINK. One vote per IP address per day is permitted.

Thanks everyone!

-John

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for ya and Emailed a request :)

8. chrislyn

chrislyn Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am sooo confused and need your help. there is so much talk about blueprints but from what I've read the focus is on blueprints that were commercially made.
    Is this correct? I bought a framed blueprint (on real blueprint paper) of the NCC 1700 -3 views, made by los Alamos labs (DoD). Does anyone know why this autocad blueprint was made by them and if there are any others in existence?

9. Bernard Guignard

Chryslin
    I answered this question earlier in the thread go to this link

http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I voted, just to let you know.

11. Jag2112

Jag2112 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks all!

12. chrislyn

@Bernard you are AMAZING!! but i'm trying to put the pieces together. that link shows "an early version of unigraphics" do you mean autocad? was autocad an early version of unigraphics? Also, why was los Alamos labs producing these images? I have an original framed autocad blueprint of the image from the link. what do I have?

13. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AutoCAD and Unigraphics (now called NX) are two different CAD packages, and neither was an early version of the other. As for your framed blueprint, does it actually say "AutoCAD" on it?

14. Bernard Guignard

Hello Chrislyn
    As BJ says Unigraphics is its own software. As the article says
    the drawing file was used to to check plotters IE Very Large Printers and display screen refresh rates. We are talking the Infancy of cad here. Every plotter and Display manufacturer did things differently. So you needed to calibrate your plotter and Displays with your computer system.
    I came across the Unigraphics Uss Enterprise File, while I was studying drafting this was 1987.
    I was learning how to use the McAUTO Unigraphics software on the college mainframe. In order to operate the College's Unigraphics software at the time you had the following. 2 large screens one for the display, one showing the commands and sub menus. a command box where you entered your main commands, Ie Line, Circle, Box etc. A joystick with a button on top. pick points on the display screen. as well a your key board for typing in text. It was quite a Large clunky system

Under the heading FEB 1985 there is a picture showing that is very close to what I was using at the time. the college had a VAX mainframe.
    http://www.plmworld.org/index.php?mo=cm&op=ld&fid=234

At lunch times I/d go down to the Unigraphics lab and Kitbash from that same file the other FJ ships as well as some SFB ones. I then plotted them out on 24 x 36 inch sheets made 3 sets One for my self one for a friend who helped me and one for the Drafting teacher for his son.

You asked about Commercial value. Well the only value would be the frame that the drawing is in. It was never a commercial item. Any one who had access to the Unigraphics software and a ploter and had that sample drawing could produce that drawing. You said yours is on actual blueprint paper. Then someone plotted it to vellum, then made a blueprint copy.
    Please note that old fashion blueprints are very sensitive to light and will fade over time.

If anyone has a DXF version of this cad file and wouldn't mind sharing it I'd love to get a copy for sentiments sake :)

I hope this helps you

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I'd love to see the original UG file. I currently use NX6 at work, it would be interesting to see if it would load!

16. chrislyn

Hi Bernard, thanks for your very thorough explanation. I guess i'm trying to find out why this was done at los Alamos labs and why it was framed. this link shows exactly what I've got (but on blueprint paper) http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237 as is mentioned on the unigraphics site, the image was created at los Alamos and used to test plotters. i'm waiting to hear back from a few more experts in this area but i'm thinking perhaps mine is a hard copy of the original unigraphics image. fascinating.

17. chrislyn

Hi BJ, thanks for the clarification. The blueprint says both "autocad/unigraphics cad/cam drawing" and "created by los Alamos laboratories" in the bottom left corner.

18. Bernard Guignard

Hi Chrislyn
    I'd speculate that Los Alamos purchased the Unigraphics software and one of the Draftspersons who was learning the soft ware at the time decided to do some extra training time and draw out the Enterprise as its subject matter. Some of us Drafting types are huge Star Trek fans and we enjoyed Franz josephs blueprints so much that we became Draftspersons because of them. :techman:
    The Unigraphics person training him might have liked the subject matter so much that they asked for a copy of the file which was used by the Unigraphics company then distributed as a sample file with each copy of Unigraphics sold.

All speculation but I bet you that this is the most logical answer that you will get. Short of tracking down the draftsperson who actually drew the computer file. :)

19. chrislyn

very possible, except the blueprint is commercially framed. I would think that someone fooling around with the software wouldn't have it commercially framed. thanks for your info though, its fascinating.

20. chrislyn

also worth noting, what I have is the exact item mentioned in the unigraphics link you gave me a while back http://www.plmworld.org/p/cm/ld/fid=237 which specifically mentions los Alamos as the creator of the image. what is the likelihood that a random draftperson would create the exact image and have it commercially framed? something to ponder.