7X12 Nightmare in Silver(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, May 11, 2013.

?

Grade "Nightmare in Silver"

Poll closed Jun 20, 2013.
  1. Excellent!

21 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Great

46 vote(s)
    41.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. DELETE!

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. "Iron Man 3" was better"

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought "cybergnats" was a shoo-in.

I'm insanely tired right now and had no business watching that on the edge of consciousness, an edge I crossed a few times, or commenting but it seemed absolutely wretched. I'll watch again when I'm firmly out of the Sandman's clutches and see if it improves.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Attack of the Cybergnats would be a good episode to have had Diana Rigg in at any rate.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Enjoyable episode but not an instant classic like "The Doctor's Wife," which is a bit disappointing for this Gaiman fan, although I have a feeling I need to watch this episode again.

The Doctor vs. Cyber-Doctor scenes were wonderfully written, directed and acted (although it seems I missed all of The Doctor impressions sans The Tenth). The redesigned Cybermen and Cybermats were wonderful, loved how they barely spoke (but no "Delete!" or "Excellent!"), and I look forward to seeing them again.

Warwick Davis would have stolen the show if Matt Smith wasn't supremely excellent. Unfortunately, Angie was very annoying, although I liked Artie, but the biggest problem is there is no need for them in the episode (and retrospectively, the end of the last episode). Gaiman is usually good at writing children (Coraline, The Graveyard Book) so I'm surprised by the result here.

I thought The Doctor said "Cybermites" but either one works.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. Gov Kodos

Yeah, the kids took up time that would have allowed more time with Porridge, Clara, and Capt Ferrin. The story would have been better for it.

5. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

This is exactly what I feel. There were some really good ideas which were never fully realised and once again some completely amazing acting by Matt. He gets crazier by the episode and you can tell how much he relishes this role. He has to be one of the most watchable people on TV. I'm a huge Warwick Davis fan and this was a perfect role for him. He's such an old pro now. When I think back to Willow and how young he was to take on such a difficult role it's amazing how much he's grown into his craft.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It's just a shame about Life's Too Short.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm generally optimistic about the show. I just think this one could have been so much better. Its like there was too much plot jammed into too little time. A two parter would have been perfect.

I'm still not sure why exactly the Emperor in hiding, the galaxies worst combat unit, a washed up showman, and the last Cybermites were all together on that particular planet. Connection, or just wild coincidence? I really get the feeling that a lot was left out in the script editing session.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

In the sense that the show was cancelled or in the sense that that the show didn't live up to its potential? I've been meaning to check the show out but I've been busy with other shows.

9. Bob The Skutter

In the sense it wasn't any good. I watched 2 or 3 episodes, don't recall a single laugh.

I should say, though, that I find Ricky Gervais to be very hit and miss. Don't like The Office, like Extras but found it got repetitive, the Ricky Gervais show was take or leave, can't think of a single film of his I liked and Derek I've liked for the most part.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You've got to be kidding. Crimson was terrible. A little funny in places and I found that parasite thingy surprisingly cute, but other than that, awful. Plus I hate the stupid Sontaran Silurian lesbian trio. My rating for Series 7 Pt2 would go like this:

1) Cold War
    2) Nightmare is Silver
    3) Bells of Saint John
    4) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
    5) The Crimson Horror
    6) Hide
    7) Rings of the Musical Piece of Crap

Bare in mind though I only liked Cold War, Nightmare in Silver and Bells of Saint John. After that it was just the best of a bad situation.

Also, anyone else think "The Bells of Saint John" didn't really work for the episode? I mean it worked for like the first five minutes, but after that, was a bit...out of place. Something like "The Impossible Girl" would have worked better.

I quite like Clara too. I think my top companions though (in no particular order) would have to be Perry, Ace, and Rose.

I disagree. There were many great episodes at the end of RTDs run. I love End of Time. Lots of people seem to like Waters on Mars. The Davros one was great.

RTD did some stinkers in his early years too. Just none of them being in the Eccleson series. :p New Earth for example was terrible from what I can remember.

11. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I'm totally not a Ricky Gervais fan. Just don't get him at all. However his rubbish ideas about what comedy is, is not Warwick Davis's fault. Maybe his comedic delivery isn't all that, I don't know because I wouldn't watch it.

12. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

The kids being left in the room with the Cybermen instead of being safely tucked up inside the TARDIS reminded me of Robbie Coltrane in The Young Ones..."I'll just conceal this sticky bun by placing it precariously on the edge of this box..."

As with most episodes this season, it felt a bit...meh. Not awful, just...meh. Gaiman's last episode was so much better.

13. Bob The Skutter

Definitely Gervais's idea of comedy. Like it's funny to have a 3' 5" bloke driving a huge 4X4 and getting his arm caught on the door while getting out so dangles from it. Ha Ha bloody ha.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It is interesting how Clara is (or the Claras are) able to easily slip into any role a situation demands. She took command of that (albeit second-rate) military unit with little hesitation or fear, almost as if she was a trained officer.

It's quite complicated...

15. Gov Kodos

Victorian Clara had no trouble slipping between roles, certainly. A chameleon like personality would seem to fit all the Claras. Even Oswin was a great one for roles, she convinced herself she wasn't a Dalek. The whole 'Who is Clara' just mirrors the 'Doctor Who?' question.

16. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Hm. I loved the new Cybermen (the Design) and the way they moved. The kids... If they'd died I wouldn't have batted an eyelid. The Doctor/CyberDoctor stuff was awesome and actually made sense. Clara... well, I just don't love her as much as I thought I would after Asylum of the Daleks. Next week has a lot to live up to to tell us who or what she is. Also looking forward to seeing River.

17. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Last week was a waste of Diana Rigg. This week was just a waste.

This part of the season is boring me every bit as much as RTD / Tennant Who did, and the only reason I'm looking forward to next week's ep is the fact it's the last one.

I'd really enjoyed Moffat's version of the show but this part-season has been a real letdown. Such is life.

18. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Wasn't that bad, the kids didn't irritate me as much as I was fearing, barely registered them actually. The Cybermen were OK being brought back but they aren't as much engaging villains as they are a threat that results in high body counts. Matt Smith's acting for two was easily the best part.

Only The Crimson Horror has really stood out for me from 7B, everything else has been comparatively average so far.

19. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'm honestly still not sure how I feel about this one.

The kids were annoying, as was the golden ticket stuff, and the platoon were crap (was the fat one Sam from Game Of Thrones, or not?) and the Cyberplanner's motivations wandered from the logical by quite a bit. And the "who is Clara" attempt at an arc is just increasingly annoying, doubly so as when they leave it alone she's a fucking great companion.

On the good side, the new Cybes were impressive, their abilities mostly improvements (I actually pitched fast Raston-like Cybes in 1994, for what eventually changed monsters and became the Sontaran story Lords of The Storm), though the detachable parts reminded me most of Kryten in the Terrorform episode of Red Dwarf), and Warwick Davis was good.

Somewhere in between... Matt Smith didn't fall victim to McIntee's First Law of acting, but didn't quite manage to avert it as fully as could have been hoped, and overall it really, *really* felt more like a Trek/Borg mini-movie than a Dr Who/Cybermen one. It's more like what the Assimilation comic series should have been, really... All the terminology was very W40K as well, but none of the imagery was, which is weird.

So, I want to say I loved it for the, well, upgraded, Cybermen, allusions to classic storytelling, and Warwick Davis, but can't because of the kids/golden ticket/Cyberplanner emotionality/weird anti-W40K WTFery. OTOH, I want to say I didn't like it because of the kids/golden ticket/Cyberplanner emotionality/weird anti-W40K WTFery, but can't because of the upgraded Cybermen, allusions to classic storytelling, and Warwick Davis.

So, really, I don't know what the fuck.

I gather it's been splitting fandom, with half the people going one way, and the other half the other way, but I'm feeling that split entirely in my own head - just like what was going on in the Doctor's head in it. It'd be nice to think that was a deliberate evocation, but it isn't. Argh.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In my defense, I posted before he said "Cybermites". :lol:

Cybermites flows off the tongue better than the other two options.

At least Kryten's hand only crawled up Dave's pants. It didn't kill anyone.

It seemed like only that one Cyberman had the weird abilities, or at least it's the only one that used them, no?