A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was thinking about the problem with the kids growing up too fast versus the books while watching it the other day. I wonder if they'll have to recast any of them?

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The books cover about a year each so I can't see it being a problem.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Only two years have passed in the first five books.

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

No, certainly more time has passed. AGOT alone covers about a year. ACOK and ASOS together covers at least a year, probably more. The last two books are mostly in parallel.

According to this site ( http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events ), 3+ years have passed since the AGOT prologue.

Stretching it out to 1 year per season (in terms of kid actors aging) is not a giant stretch, and will probably benefit the narrative anyway - especially for Arya's arc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The first time I read the books I assumed their years must be longer than ours due to the way most of the children acted older than their age. It is why I didn't have much problem with most of the aging up. Having them age a year a season will work out well for the younger kids, though hopefully the kid who plays Bran doesn't get too tall over the next few years.

6. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least he doesn't stand up very often. ;)

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

No way. It's been longer than that.

8. Venardhi

My best estimate, having read the books several times each, is about 3 to 3 1/2 years at the end of ADWD. Almost certainly not much longer though.

9. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

About three years is the most.

In terms of concrete measuers, the pregnancy of a super-minor character lasts from midway through Book 2 to partway through Book 4, so about nine months passed in that span. And Sansa is 11 in AGOT and as of AFFC (concurrent to ADwD) is not yet 14.

10. Venardhi

Not all events in the books happen in explicit chronological order and from my understanding of events, ADWD continues several months past when AFFC ends. The events happening in Kings Landing seem to have ended sooner than those in other story streams. Sam's voyage for example was clearly longer than the concurrent events happening there. The timeline is certainly very wobbly right now, due to Martin's (hopefully temporary) loss of control and need to reconstruct the story without his intended time jump.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

HBO has released details and summaries of the first five episodes:

Episode #11: “The North Remembers”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)
    As Robb Stark and his northern army continue the war against the Lannisters, Tyrion arrives in King’s Landing to counsel Joffrey and temper the young king’s excesses. On the island of Dragonstone, Stannis Baratheon plots an invasion to claim his late brother’s throne, allying himself with the fiery Melisandre, a strange priestess of a stranger god. Across the sea, Daenerys, her three young dragons and khalasar trek through the Red Waste in search of allies, or water. In the North, Bran presides over a threadbare Winterfell, while beyond the Wall, Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch must shelter with a devious wildling.
    Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #12: “The Night Lands”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 8 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    In the wake of a bloody purge in the capital, Tyrion chastens Cersei for alienating the king’s subjects. On the road north, Arya shares a secret with Gendry, a Night’s Watch recruit. With supplies dwindling, one of Dany’s scouts returns with news of their position. After nine years as a Stark ward, Theon Greyjoy reunites with his father Balon, who wants to restore the ancient Kingdom of the Iron Islands. Davos enlists Salladhor Saan, a pirate, to join forces with Stannis and Melisandre for a naval invasion of King’s Landing.
    Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by Alan Taylor.

Episode #13: “What Is Dead May Never Die”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 15 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    At the Red Keep, Tyrion plots three alliances through the promise of marriage. Catelyn arrives in the Stormlands to forge an alliance of her own. But King Renly, his new wife Margaery and her brother Loras Tyrell have other plans. At Winterfell, Luwin tries to decipher Bran’s dreams.
    Written by Bryan Cogman; directed by Alik Sakharov.

Episode #14: “Garden of Bones”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 22 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    Joffrey punishes Sansa for Robb’s victories, while Tyrion and Bronn scramble to temper the king’s cruelty. Catelyn entreats Stannis and Renly to forego their ambitions and unite against the Lannisters. Dany and her exhausted khalasar arrive at the gates of Qarth, a prosperous city with strong walls and rulers who greet her outside them. Tyrion coerces a queen’s man into being his eyes and ears. Arya and Gendry are taken to Harrenhal, where their lives rest in the hands of “The Mountain,” Gregor Clegane. Davos must revert to his old ways and smuggle Melisandre into a secret cove.
    Written by Vanessa Taylor; directed by David Petrarca.

Episode #15: “The Ghost of Harrenhal”
    Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 29 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)
    The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee and Littlefinger to act. At King’s Landing, Tyrion’s source alerts him to Joffrey’s flawed defense plan and a mysterious secret weapon. Theon sails to the Stony Shore to prove he’s worthy to be called Ironborn. In Harrenhal, Arya receives a promise from Jaqen H’ghar, one of three prisoners she saved from the Gold Cloaks. The Night’s Watch arrive at the Fist of the First Men, an ancient fortress where they hope to stem the advance of the wildling army.
    Written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss; directed by David Petrarca.

12. DarthPipes

Thanks for posting the summaries. Sounds great to me!:techman:

13. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nicely put :)

14. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Tyrion's source alerts him... to a mysterious secret weapon." If I recall, Tyrion came up with both the chain and the wildfire himself.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picked up the DVD of Season 1 yesterday before work, and watched eps 3 and 4 today. Was the bit about Jorah leaving not long after finding out that Dany is pregnant in the book? I don't remember that from the book, but it's the kind of thing that might have seemed so minor at the time that I didn't remember it, and now looking back is a big hint at things to come.

16. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guess that one's gonna be the first Big Mac of the season. Lot's of memorable stuff happenning there.
    And it seems like they use the secret cove scene for Renly's assassination. So no siege of Storm's End, probably.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

In the book Cersei ordered 10,000 jars of wildfire to be produced before Tyrion's arrival as Hand.

18. DarthPipes

Agreed.

For the show, there's no need for two shadowbabies.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of this stuff I'm hearing about Season 2 is really making me want to read A Clash of Kings. But I just realized that I have 119 books that I own but haven't read yet. I want to get that down by alot before I start buying books again.

20. setvenharis

setvenharis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can I ask, Is the two paperbacks of A Dance with Dragons (Dreams and Dust and After the Feast) combined in the hardback version of A Dance of Dragons?