Sins of the Solar Empire Star Trek mods

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Robbiesan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

While I am a Sins of the Solar Empire player, I haven't played any Star Trek mods...yet. I know that Star Trek Armada 1 and 2 are very popular, so I thought maybe someone might be interested in this youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwLhvl0hW30

The mod developer is working on a release...last I heard.

There's a german mod for Star Trek that's supposed to be very beautiful, but not translated into any other languages.

There's also an upcoming Star Trek mod for one of the later Sins of the Solar Empire modules.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/sacrifice-of-angels-2

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Absolutely freakin' fantastic! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the heads up! Had no idea there were Trek mods for this game. :bolian:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Yeah, thanks. I played the hell out of that game when it came out. I'll have to go find it when the mod is released. I've been watching the Youtube videos and the level of "Trek" detail is awesome.

4. Robbiesan

Robbiesan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You're welcome. Both GalCiv2 and Sins of the Solar Empire were made to be easily moddable. Because of that plus the enduring legacy of Star Trek internationally, strategic war game players have attempted to fiddle with the programming to create mods.

In my opinion, some of the mods are superior to any authorized games that were created for the Star Trek universe. This is probably due to fans doing it out of love for the many series and lore and not due to money.

Many modders are using moddb.com as a central hub since it's been around for awhile, but also niche forums for those games. In general a video gets made to demo the mods too, so those inevitably get uploaded to youtube. If you ever think, "This game engine would probably be able to support a Star Trek universe...." then chances are someone is fiddling with it to make it happen. So doing a simple Internet search for "Star Trek mod + the game title" will likely turn up some hits.

5. SFC3

SFC3 Lieutenant Red Shirt