teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. gturner

gturner Admiral

Nor should you. ;)

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far the ensemble element is pretty impressive.

3. Claudia

Claudia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's interesting to know - and so good for this show.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I fear I'll forget to ask when we get to season 4 or 5... *scatterbrain

At least up to season 3 I always had the impression that the show was mainly about Jack and Daniel. They had a great chemistry - so I'd love to know what happened later because at the latest in season 4's "The Other Side" that chemistry got lost and the focus shifted to Jack and Sam. Does anyone know what prompted that and I guess ultimately Shanks' leaving the show?

It's pretty understated, so don't fear. :techman:

I loved MacGyver as a kid, .... well, mostly because of RDA :guffaw:. I'm glad his charisma carried over to SG-1, but not his hairstyle... OTOH, it was great to see a guy not rely on guns and fists for a change.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Me neither. But there's a load of cult shows never seen (Quantum Leap, Babylon 5, Farscape, BSG, pre-RD Dr Who, etc). Intrigued also by the dynamic in Claudia's spoiler.

5. teacake

My confession: until very recently I thought Macgyver was a fictional show doted on by Bart Simpson's aunts. I was shocked to realize it was real.

6. teacake

Tin Man: Wow, that was great! I did not see the twist coming. Just the three of them and Harlan forever in that crap hole. I'm betting that even if it takes a hundred years they will set their minds to creating the smaller portable power devices mentioned by Harlan and eventually digging up the gate and leaving. Doesn't really matter how long it takes.

When an episode makes you feel bad for robots it's doing well.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Caught up thanks to rare quiet weekend. Big surprise so far: not one episode bored me enough to reach for ffwd. Cor-Ai was close though. Impressions so far:

* Production designers must have had a field day
    * Casting is great; people with interesting faces like Harley Jane Kozak as O'Neill's wife and Tobin Bell. Though it did just make we want to shout: 'Jigsaw'.
    * I want a Goa'uld voice changer for my phone
    * Fairy Quark was just like Symbiont Quark
    * Every SG-1 scene in woods, I just kept imagining them bumping into Athena & Helo. If anyone hasn't done an SG/BSG mash-up I'd be surprised.

teacake likes this.
  8. teacake

There but for the Grace of God: Good run up for what is to come. I got a bit irritated at how in the middle of the destruction of earth anyone gave a rats about an alternate timeline earth but this seems to magically happen in science fiction. I would have so loved for Daniel to drag someone through the gate with him at the last minute.

Alt.Teal'c's long pony tail on the top of his bald head kept nagging at me this ep, he reminded me of someone.. and then I knew.

[​IMG]

It's Garrosh! Also now alt as they changed his looks recently.

[​IMG]

All the frowning and intense staring helps as well as having exactly the same hair.

9. teacake

Politics: On the one hand this episode is ridiculous. Far too early to have a flashback episode and the flashbacks were waaaaay too long. What they intended to show could have been done quite briefly. However.. Ronny Cox is awesome as the senator and the boardroom scenes have real punch. His big speech about God and America and Teal'c's response is an intense exchange. I think they could have carried the whole ep with these discussions thanks to Cox's acting and well written arguments.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, Ronny Cox in Stargate is awesome (most of his roles are). Any episode he Guest Starred in was automatically knocked up a couple of points.

I'd love to see him in one more Iconic SciFi role before he's done with acting (If he's not already retired)

11. teacake

Within the Serpent's Grasp: A ripper of an episode with Our Heroes sneaking through the gate in a last ditch effort against the Goa'uld and government bureaucracy. Brave folk. Excellent finale for Season 1!

The Serpent's Lair: This worked well, certainly tighter and more believable than all the cat and mouse eps on SG:A where the team is trapped on an enemy ship. Hilarious scenes with Colonel Samuels gloating over how his bombs would win the day.

Bra'tac is awesome. I love how he constantly overrides O'Neill who is used to being the boss. He's brutally direct and effective. I hope we see more of him. Was that moisture I saw in Teal'c's eyes when Bra'tac took his leave to return home in the end?

Kind of sad to see Apophis gone for good (I assume) as I liked his bronze lipped haughtiness. Equally I'm not sad to see the end of Skaara, yawn.

A satisfying double episode all round. I'm looking fwd to what new directions Season 2 takes.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is by no means the last we see of Apophis.

13. teacake

^ Good!!

btw I saw Christopher Judge on the weekend at a con. It was his birthday too!

In the Line of Duty
    : A rebel Goa'uld takes over Carter and terrorizes the puppy girl with kill threats. This doesn't stop Carter from bonding with the Goa'uld and mourning its death. I like that the Goa'uld are weakened as a totalitarian race by their means of existence. By needing other cultures to live parasitically with there is always the possibility of influence that will lead to some Goa'uld breaking away from the expectations of their race.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Bratac or Tony Amendola as a Guest Star on any series is always awesome, like Ronny Cox, he raises the episode a point or two, simply by being present :bolian::bolian:

15. teacake

Prisoners: I was so mad at the start of this.. not another trial episode. If there's one thing I dislike more than trial episodes it's trial episodes with superior being judging puny humans. But thankfully I was completely wrong about what kind of ep this would be.

REALLY liked it. Yes we figured out fairly early on that Linea was evil but having her escape through the gate, released back into the universe by SG1 was excellent. If she really is a deliberate destroyer of worlds what was her motivation? And why is the planet that sends you to Rura Penthe if you steal food so full of dicks? And why are some people so hungry when the tech to be invisible and kidnap people into spotlight lit rooms with no visible means of how it happened in their grasp? And do the people wear those shitty clothes on the planet or are those special prison clothes they are sent through the gate with?

The glop pouring through the gate into a makeshift funnel system was a nice touch.

16. teacake

The Gamekeeper: It's a special rule that all science fiction shows must have one of these Shore Leave episodes. If you're very lucky you only get one but with 9 seasons to go I'm betting there will be another. Extra points deducted for a foppish Barclay.

17. teacake

Bratac or Tony Amendola as a Guest Star on any series is always awesome, like Ronny Cox, he raises the episode a point or two, simply by being present :bolian::bolian:[/QUOTE]

I was entranced by Cox, he just filled that character right up with awesomeness!

18. gturner

gturner Admiral

Yeah. Obviously consellor Troi never did manage to cure him of his holodeck addiction. It just got worse.

19. teacake

:guffaw:

Now he's imprisoning people not just holo creating them!

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Hey teacock

At this rate you are reviewing the show, you'll be done with the entire series before Captain Craig finishes season one! :lol: