Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised the show can get the actors it's getting, but I guess it's popular enough.

2. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What did everyone forget this show came back on last sunday?

Poor Regina, she tried so hard to be good and fact she didnt wipe everyone out should prove something.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

This episode was the first time I felt sorry for Regina. For once she was totally innocent and she was framed so well. Too bad the dog couldn't help her...

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

On the other hand, I keep waiting for Emma to put two and two together and figure out that Regina murdered Sheriff Graham last season . . . .

And, let's not forget, she had Snow's father assassinated as well.

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Emma had realized that Regina killed Graham, but looked past it because that's what she'd like to do to a man who cheated on her.

Snow White isn't the one to really articulate this, but her father was a lousy husband to Regina. Morally speaking, that just gave Regina grounds for divorce. But in monarchies divorce is a life threatening, often life-taking proposition. Plus, ruling monarchs, being divine by blood, don't really get to resign, since they can't undo their own flesh. They're more or less forced in it til the death.

The oppressive Queen thing is really part of the job description. The notion that Charming and Snow White rule by inspiring unbridled love and radiating happiness down on the peasants has got to be the biggest fairy tale in the whole series.

No, the really hideous thing Regina did was sacrificing her father. Which is why "Henry" became so important?

6. Greg Cox

True, Snow's dad didn't come off looking very well, but Regina does have a pretty high body count, both in Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest. So, while the show is clearly trying to get us to feel sorry for her these days, and Lana Parilla is doing a good job of selling her more vulnerable side, we ought to remember that, as far as the Storybrooke crowd is concerned, she's not just this icy mayor who is trying to turn over a new leaf; she's the bloodthirsty Evil Queen who terrorized them, cursed them, and ruined countless lives. So it's not like they can be expected to forget about all the murders and curses and diabolical schemes just because she brought a lasagna to a potluck! :)

Also on her rap sheet: she stole Hansel and Gretel from their father, apparently sent quite a few small children to their doom in the Candy House before H&G succeeded in defeating the Blind Witch, caused Charming and Snow to miss out on raising their daughter, separated Geppeto and Pinonchio, betrayed the Mad Hatter a couple of times, and basically wrecked everybody's Happy Endings for twenty-eight years.

Is it any surprise that the townsfolk aren't exactly warming to her now that they've got their memories back?

7. stj

No. What is surprising is that they don't dislike Gold very much at all.

8. Greg Cox

I think they're all still afraid of him, so they walk on egg shells around him. He also tends to work quietly behind the scenes, letting other people (like Regina) do his dirty work.

I'm not sure anybody in Storybrooke really trusts him, except maybe Belle.

And wasn't there a bit recently where David/Charming was trying to help him find Belle, but nobody in town really wanted to help Gold all that much, due to old grudges from the past?

"Did you really turn his father into a bug?"
    "I may have done."

(Or words to that effect.)

9. stj

But they're not still afraid of Regina? Vilification of women is still more acceptable in drama and fiction, I think. Even Regina is written as not daring to say that Gold has manipulated Regina her entire life, leading up to the curse that created Storybrooke. But, making women less important than men is also still acceptable. Is there any other way to explain why Hook is still getting equal time with Cora?

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This was a pretty sad episode. Regina is definitely trying to change-- in fact, really has changed or her reactions to being brought in and accused to Jiminy's murder would have been completely different. The scene in the car at the end really sold her transformation. As for her rap sheet, she's not the first TV character with a massive body count to undergo redemption-- Londo Mollari and Spike spring to mind.

In other news, I'm glad Jiminy isn't really dead-- but who does that body really belong to?

As a matter of fact, yes-- I just noticed it was on about ten minutes before it started. I had just walked in the door and was flipping through channels.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a really good episode. I do feel sorry for Regina, she really does seem to be trying to clean up her act, but as soon as something bad happens everyone assumes it was her. Granted her mother did frame her, but even before they saw her transformed mother, they didn't pretty much just assumed she did it.
    I'm happy that it looks like Hook at least will be discovered in next weeks episode. I hate it when they drag storylines like this out forever.

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

13. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Really liked that episode, I love Regina! There were a lot of good lines as well.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good episode tonight. Didnt think we would see Hook and Mr. Gold tangle so soon.
    Really hope Bella is ok and not sure what Rumpy said about this cant be undone.

So who was the driver that hit and probably killed Hook? Was it Rumpys son?

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Bell stepped over the line and lost here memory - It can't be undone.
    The driver of the car is the thing they were afraid of at the beginning of the episode - someone from the outside world.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regina must have left Storybrooke to "abduct" henry form what every government nursurary that... Or was it Pinochio that forced Henry into Regina's household through trickery... Although if Regina entered this world by herself and not with the curse, which is why she kept her old life memories, the change in the curse won't stop her becuase the curse has never been locked on to her.

18. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see that they aren't drawing Cora and Hook's secret arrival or Jimeny's "death" out very far at all. That's something I really, really like about Once Upon a Time this season - it actually feels like it's going somewhere at a good pace - not so slow to make me twiddle my thumbs, but not so fast as to make me think "reset button/quick fix/magic (aka technobabble), or otherwise easy solution.

19. Greg Cox

As I recall, it was Mr. Gold who arranged Henry's adoption.

20. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Wow! Totally in hate Hook mode. I was never a real fan, but I suppose you become what you loathe/obsess over. Hook was probably never a bastion of virtue before he met Milah (spelling), but shooting an unarmed woman in the back makes you a monster.

It was nice to see karma visited on Hook via auto.

If Hook loved Milah (spelling) so much, why is he not worried about helping her kid? I guess ole Milah may not have cared that much at the end. She left Bae behind.

I am so glad that everyone knows that Regina did not do it. Regina has been pretty horrid in the past, but she is really trying for Henry. LP's performance is always divine. A little corner of me was happy when she nabbed Belle at the end, even knowing the poor woman was going to be locked up for years. It was just nice to see Regina.

I am growing a little tired of the Snow/Charming/Emma/Henry family unit. I was glad they were featured lightly this week.