The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PianoWizzy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I noticed her name was in the opening credits last episode. I still kinda like her, but I don't think I want to see her more than every 2-3 episodes like she's appearing now. And I'd be fine with her staying in a supporting role in the ensemble, not at the forefront with Sheldon in every appearance. I think she's the kind of character where a little can go a long way...much like Sheldon himself.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

^ thats the 2nd new main character after Bernadette last week was announced as a main cast for season 4. TBBT biggest problem is they don't know where to take some of the characters at the moment but hopefully we will get two groups the boys & girls to shake up the formula a bit.

More geekly stuff like the last episode and all will be fine though ;)

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ya know, I like Sheldon and Amy on this show because they're cartoons of nerdish behavior on a comedy show. On Bones, a crime drama, Emily Deschnel plays her character almost the same way, and I wanna slap the shit out of her. Works in a comedy, but annoys in a drama.

On the other hand, even Sheldon has more awareness of proper social behavior than Bones.

4. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Sheldon is my god. I wish I were half as smart as that guy.

The thing I don't get about him though, is why he is so damn fussy. Surely a clever bloke like him can figure out that, for example, a special 'spot' where he 'sits' is the sort of totally irrational behaviour we see in five year olds.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ No shortage of smart, fussy guys right here. :)

6. Captain_Nick

Perhaps they can give me some insight into the world of the fussy man.

7. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've found in life that the more intellectually gifted one is, often the more bizarre psychological quirks they have. A lot of geniuses are batshit crazy.

8. Captain_Nick

I wonder why that is.

Perhaps - the smarter people are better at making correct decisions, and it's the rest of us that are crazy?

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's fairly obvious that Sheldon has some sort of autism spectrum disorder.

10. Captain_Nick

It's not obvious to me at all. He has no problems communicating .. it's what he communicates which interests me.

11. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^He very, very likely has symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome - which is a high-functioning form of autism: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm

(I have meet quite a few people in the science community with some form of Aspergers.)

In fact, Sheldon's character has become very popular with parents of kids with Aspergers - and TBBT has been refereed to by Slate magazine "the first autism sitcom".

Slate: Is the World Ready for an Autism Sitcom? < http://www.slate.com/id/2210635/ >

http://myfavoriteatistic.blogspot.com/2007/11/big-bang-theory.html

Autism Goes Prime Time: The Big Bang Theory: < http://open.salon.com/blog/libertarius/2010/02/15/autism_goes_prime_time_the_big_bang_theory >

Psychology Today article on Sheldon and Aspergers: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergers-diary/200904/sheldony-or-aspergery-the-big-bang-theory

The Autistic Journalist blog article on Sheldon: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergers-diary/200904/sheldony-or-aspergery-the-big-bang-theory

The Big Bang Theory & Sheldon discussion on an autism discussion board: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt81946.htm

^Just to name a few...just Google "The Big Bang Theory Sheldon autism Aspergers" and the list of links about the connections are pretty long...

Sheldon also pretty obviously has OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (I know, I have it myself) but like autism and Aspergers, "OCD" is never mentioned on the show by name...

12. Captain_Nick

That kind of might explain why he hasn't tried to 'outthink' his quirkier behaviours .. but then again 'he' is a fictional TV character and I need to remember that TV isn't real, haha

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's on official record by the show producer that Sheldon has not Asperger's or any other kind of mental issues ( other than being Sheldon :p).

I guess such a thing is too serious for a comedy show and his quirks are supposed to be just his character and provide material for funny scenes.. i've encountered many people with funny and/or annoying quirks but Sheldon is one cincentrated quirk.

14. D.W.C

D.W.C Ensign Red Shirt

Just because someone isn't like everybody else i.e. ''normal'' (or what society defines as normal, I myself see being normal something to avoid) doesn't mean they have some mental problems. Thats the problem today too many parents and so called professionals want to blame some ''bad'' mental reason for someones behaviour and box them off into some group, just like people have done to Sheldon. Liking a place to be clean or organised is not a symptom of OCD, you just don't like living in a mess. Having a certain place you seat is not some mental problem, he points out quite clear why its the best seat for him, not liking change is no mental problem and most of the time Sheldon is right in not wanting change e.g. changing contrast levels (it takes me ages to get the tv colour just right when I first get one and its very annoying if someone changes it), and sometimes his wrong however most of the times his wrong he points it out after and corrects himself. I'm not denying he has some problems however so does everyone else e.g. alot of men (properly most depending on age) will do anything at the chance of having sex (e.g Leonard gives up the LOTR ring to have sex with his girlfriend:confused: Its his GF they've already had sex and will again), that to me is very irrational and stupid, yet is generally accepted as normal behaviour.

As the above poster points out the creators had no intention of making a character with AS or other syndromes. Their intention was obviously to make a funny character by first making him a typical ''nerd/geek'' and secondly making him stand out from the other geeks in the show.

He is purely Sheldon.
    [​IMG]

If Sheldon really has mental problems then I should get myself checked out as his the guy I most relate to in the show.

15. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

The Sheldon character drives the series, he is the main catalyst to the humor in the episodes. The other characters and the viewer awaits his reaction to situations. :lol:

16. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a TV character, Sheldon is funny as hell, but in real life he would be EXTREMELY annoying trying to deal with. I could not work, live with, or hang out with Sheldon for any length of time without wanting to throttle him. And I daresay most people would have that same problem.

It may not be a mental illness, but his behaviour is well beyond what I think most people would perceive as tolerable and would certainly not find his company pleasant for any extended period of time.

17. Galileo7

Interesting points, food for thought.:vulcan:

18. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's why Howard was making a crossbow while they were at the North Pole. ;)

I really think that they tolerate Sheldon more for Leonard's sake. I'd love to hang with Leonard, Howard, and Raj. Sheldon? Not so much.

19. Galileo7

Everyone experiences an annoying person among friends in life :lol:.

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the fact they have Leonard putting up with Sheldon is kind of one of those "suspension of disbelief" things you have to do for the sake of the plots. Hell the way they have Leonard interact with Sheldon, it seems as if HE can barely stand Sheldon, yet he remains as his roommate.