So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

re-read of Seven Deadly Sins

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finished Summon the Thunder (review in thread soon) and then took a short break from Vanguard to read the first book in the The Hunger Games trilogy, since I like stories with strong female protagonists and survival situations (one of the "sins" of my youth was co-operating one of the then-largest websites covering the Tomb Raider franchise, incidentally, and one of my favorite movies is Touching the Void) and thought I might go like to see the movie, but always prefer to have read the source material first.

I found its premise to feel very derivative (Battle Royale, Running Man, Das Millionenspiel, various others came to mind) and logically flawed (oppressing a people by keeping its most-likely-to-rebel adolescent generation in constant battle-readyness seems like a bad plan), but the book is nonetheless quite entertaining. Collins' prose is clear, effective and not without wit, and her protagonist does come alive very well and is ultimately the story's saving grace. I guess I will go see that movie.

Next it's back to the Taurus Reach for me with Reap the Whirlwind.

3. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished re-reading Q&A by Keith R.A. DeCandido. While the novel was as excellently written as ever, with some welcome cameos from the Titan crew, Gorkon crew and Admiral Shelby, it just didn't really fire me up. The new crew members were introduced well and a nice dynamic was built up, especially with Kadohata and Leybenzon. Of course we all know what happens there. :D

As far as the story goes. It was nice of KRAD to tie all of Q's appearances across the series and make it a coherent narrative with his testing humanity. Even explaining "Qpid" away with Q just wanting to see Picard in tights. However, I feel it just fell a bit flat really, some nice banter with Q, but I've read better Q novels (cf. Q-in-Law). Score = 3 out of 5

Next up is a return to the good ship Titan for Orion's Hounds and lets see what Mr. Bennett has in store for us. :)

4. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

Reading The Battle of Betazed. Enjoying it so far - heard a lot about this Vaughn guy, so nice to finally see him in action. Tales of the Dominion War is up next.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack. Finally.

Yeah, I know, I'm doing this wrong. Reading the first book just as the last one is coming out? Madness. :p

6. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ At least we don't have to wait :).

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finishe dreading Confessor by terry Goodkind and Startrek ds9 Heart of the warrior by John Betancourt. Reading right now Startrek Ring of Time by Greg Cox. and Titanic book reprinted newspaper articles from 100 years ago about the Titanic disaster and interviews with the survivors.

8. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished Voyager: Spirit Walk: Old Wounds. It's not great, but it was more enjoyable than I had imagined based on a lot of the comments I see on the board. I started in on Spirit Walk: Enemy of My Enemy and already it feels padded out.

9. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Just finished Children of the Storm, finally. I bought it back in May or June last year, but this past week was the first time I made myself focus on it. Glad I did; Beyer remains excellent. Can't say I expected the Cambridge/Seven scene, but it will prove to be interesting, I'm sure.

Now that I've found work, I can get back reading Trek lit. I've missed everything since Children and DTI. I understand I have some Vanguard novels to look forward to, as well as a new Greg Cox novel.. :D

(I don't have an e-reader and harrumph at the very idea of them, so I can't access the ebook-exclusive Typhon Pact novels.. for now. Maybe once they have two or three novellas they'll issue them as a paperback collection?)

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I've actually never read this one. I stopped reading after Half-Blood Prince because I read them all back to back and I was burnt out, but I'm glad I saved this one for so long. It's like returning to an old friend.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I should be done with Reaper Man before the night's it over. I've really enjoyed all of the Discworld books I've read, but I think this one has been my favorite so far. My Rating: 10/10.

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading: "Menace from Earth;" and, I may be reading Alan Moore's "Lost Girls" simultaneously.

(Side-question: Has anyone read the Doctor Who novel, "Matrix"? If so, is the book a waste of time, or worth the time?)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  13. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

Finished reading david R Mcintee's Indistinguishable from magic(a star trek novel)currentlying reading Sixkill by (the late)Robert B Parker, featuring gumshoe Spenser.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading the second Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comic TPB, Flashpoint.

15. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wrote my review for the stellar final chapter in the Vanguard saga: Storming Heaven by David Mack.

Now, I'm dividing my reading time between Russka: The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd and Errand of Vengeance #2: Killing Blow by Kevin Ryan.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I didn't know my dad wrote a Trek book as well!

(His middle initial is R, mine's A)

After I get through with A Clash Of Kings (which I'd hoped to get through rereading before the season started, but hey-ho) I've finally got a hold of Carte Blanche...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  17. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished Variable Star last night (liked it, but the ending took a left turn in my opinion). I also started in on A Clash of Kings.

18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading Rings of time by Greg Cox.Now I'm reading The Titanic Secret by Jak Steel.

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Just downloaded Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders, by Samuel R. Delany to my NOOK.

I'm also reading Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers, The Alton Gift by "Marion Zimmer Bradley" and Deborah J. Ross (a re-read) and Star Trek: That Which Divides by Dayton Ward. And listening to Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming in the car/at the gym. Whew!

20. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am reading two books. TOS novel Excelsior:Forged in Fire. And the more academic, The Crime Numbers Game: Management by Manipulation, by John Eterno.