8X02 "Into the Dalek" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Grade "Into the Dalek"

Poll closed Sep 29, 2014.
  1. Eyebrows

34 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Good

57 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Average

19 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Bad

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Exterminate!

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Clara is Brain.

2. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me either and she plays a really good character. Plus, she looks like a young Elisabeth Sladen so that doesn't hurt.

3. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I saw it yesterday, and I enjoyed it. (I marked it as 'Good').

Clara, my favorite companion next to Peri, was awesome. I look forward to seeing how the relationship between her and Danny Pink turns out. (Btw, the actor who portrays Danny Pink sounds a bit like Idris Elba...lol..another actor who is considered a 'lady killer' and portrays characters depicted as such).

This Doctor is dark, but isn't unlikable. I think his sacrificing of the solider was part logic and part payback since the soldier came off as one who wouldn't hesitate to shoot The Doctor if it was felt the timelord was in the wrong.

I know Missy will turn up in later episodes and be expanded on. And, I'm sure Journey Blue will be expanded on as well...since she apparently has some sort of sibling or relative relationship with Danny Pink.

Speaking of Journey Blue, I like how we get a hint that she is biracial on her mother or father's side since her onscreen uncle is a white Irishman. (DW is trying to show that mixed relationships is a normal thing, and I applaud them for that).

Looking forward to the next episode.:cool:

Sidenotes:
    *Yes, this episode reminded me of Eccleston's 'Dalek,' but the episode did its own original turn. And, as much as I think the Daleks are overused, I - of course - didn't mind this episode.

*The Doctor has always disliked guns and soldiers. This isn't something new to this particular Doctor. He butted heads with The Brigadier in "Doctor Who and the Silurians"...and used guns in his 5th incarnation.

Too, he's also killed before to survive (e.g. killing Shockeye in "The Two Doctors).

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

They're showing it's a thing, neither normal or abnormal.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    :techman:

6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A bizarre hang-up that confounded me with this episode was why Clara didn't wear that brown leather jacket onto the Aristotle. Initially she wore it when she first came onto the TARDIS (from the school), and then (I thought) she was on the station without it. I was like, Why??? On second viewing I saw that she had already taken the jacket off in the TARDIS before going onto the ship (or station, or whatever it was). Regardless, I thought she looked good in the jacket and wish she'd kept it on (or put it back on) when they went onto the Aristotle (which might have been cool or all she knew). Instead, she's wearing a flimsy blouse and does look like she's cold in a few shots, with her arms wrapped around herself, as if to keep warm. Should have worn your jacket, Clara! :D

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I don't hate Clara, I just find her... I dunno, meh. Slapping the Doctor does not endear her to me, even if she thinks he deserved it.

8. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It does to me! It was nice to see her finally asserting herself as the Doctor's equal and calling him on his bullshit. I shipped Clara/Eleven, but I like how them breaking up has caused Clara to come more into her own as a character.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Of course if The Doctor had slapped Clara we'd be having a very different conversation. I really like the new Clara, just wasn't completely sold on that particular moment.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because there is a physical power differential between men and women. Male size lends itself far more readily to physical abuse. We have a very different conversation when Clara slaps the Doctor versus if the Doctor slaps Clara, because Clara's slapping doesn't really hurt him, and because Clara is not capable of physically overpowering him.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't know, that was a pretty hard slap. Of course whilst the majority of domestic abuse is male on female, there is a lot of female on male abuse (and lets me inclusive here male/male and female/female too) and a physical power differential is no excuse for abuse of any kind and plenty of men have been abused by female partners they probably could overpower but don't, either because the abuse is emotional as well, or simply because they don't believe in hitting a woman, even if she's beating seven bells of shit out of him.

This is not to suggest I think every circumstance of a woman slapping a guy across the face isn't justified (for example Jenny had every right to lamp Eleven in The Crimson Horror given he'd just assaulted her) I just think the default position that its acceptable is wrong.

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also the larger consideration that fiction is meant to deal with reality as it is, not just with what's acceptable.

13. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Apologies for being flip in response to a serious comment I agree with, but..

If Clara wanted to overpower me, I'd let her. :drool:

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone always says the Doctor strangling his companion, like the Sixth did with Peri, wouldn't fly today. But what if the companion were to strangle the Doctor?

This forum seriously needs a "Like" button. :techman:

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

That's what I took away from it. The Doctor said that he defined himself as not being like a Dalek. Then when he mind melds with one, it finds his hatred of them to be so strong and powerful that dedicates itself to wiping them out. As if the Doctor's hate for Daleks is stronger than the hate Daleks feel for everything else.

Maybe the soldier bit is due to him not wanting to be reminded of what he's done as a soldier himself, fearing that it brings out the absolute worst in him.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

To be fair, the Daleks did nearly destroy his home planet... In fact if The Doctor hadn't pull out a miracle save at the very last moment, the Daleks would have destroyed Gallifrey.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Didn't the Doctor destroy Skaro first?

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Every Doctor has their likes and dislikes, but in case knowing Moffat it's probably related to some plot point and we'll see why later on.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A very good point. Unlike the Dalek that could find no other way to live except in destroying (his biological trait), she WAS open to more things. What the Doctor wanted the Dalek to do--she actually did in all but going AWOL.

Some great lines "Crying is for civilians" and great space action.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

On last thought. I think they used the crack in the universe prop its last time as the leak on the Dalek. Now we know the Dalek has a liquid crystal type eyepiece.

I wonder if there is some double-slit funny business going on--with light from other worlds also visible to it.