A Nova Squad or Red Squad Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by M.A.C.O., Apr 25, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What the obsession a lot of middle-aged guys have with shows about teenagers?

No don't answer that.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm curious about that one myself. :eek:

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually liked the novelty of everyone NOT being in their 20's in the TOS movies.

4. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Actually, I think that CBS Studios and Marvel Studios could get together and devise an animated series based on the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy comic book...

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A cadet-oriented series might work, just so long as it isn't actually about Red Squad or groups of its ilk. Red Squad was, IIRC, formed as part of Admiral Leyton's plan in DS9, to help him take over the Federation. So I would argue that the very concept behind Red Squad is inherently corrupt.

If they want to do a TV series about Starfleet cadets, they should make it about "real" ones who don't join an elite group believing itself to be superior.

6. Ain Jalut

Ain Jalut Lieutenant

Also the cadets should not be played by twentysomethings.

7. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

show wise i would actually like a series set on enterprise J, a whole new crew, a few enterprises later, would be interesting

8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well now that most of us have seen STID I think we can say goodbye to any hope any future series being set in the Prime verse.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure if that's the case. Red Squad was used by Leyton in his attempted coup, but the group wasn't necessarily organized for this purpose. Based on Nog's description, Red Squad was merely an elite group of cadets who received special classes and training: no explation of what this training was for was ever given. It's possible their training could have been linked to the mission to sabotage Earth's power grid, but if they were created specifically for the coup, it's hard to understand why they would continue receiving missions after Leyton resigned. The cadets appear in "Valiant," so Red Squad obviously wasn't disbanded after Leyton's attempt to take over Earth was thwarted by Sisko and Odo.

There is dialogue in "Paradise Lost" that suggets the group already existed before Leyton put his plan into motion. Sisko contacts the commandant of Starfleet Academy about Red Squad because he wants to know why they were using the transporter the evening of the Earth power outage. The Bolian officer comments that when "Leyton talked to (him) about using them," he was skeptical, but his opinion changed after seeing how effectively they performed their mission.

--Sran

10. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

Yep, Prime Trek is dead.

Meyer had the idea to do a reboot TOS set at the Academy. This is a great idea for Bad Robot Trek. :techman: