Yea, finally back, and rewatching Babylon 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Distorted Humor, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hi all, work has been heck for the last few months. But not complaining, I am employed! :bolian:

My Babylon 5 watching was delayed so much I almost forgot all the details, (Was deep in season 5) so I decided to rewatch Babylon 5 for the first time. Up to Deathwalker. It is fun to see all the little hints spread throughout the early episodes as things where set up. And yes, infection is still bad on 2nd watch, even if you know what the enemy is, it still mucho bad.

Midnight on the firing line: (B) - It still holds up on rewatching, a great start to the series, holding it to a B as I know how good Babylon 5 gets later.

Soul Hunter: C - Not as bad as I remember, still find it decent. Need to watch the Bab5 movie with the soul hunters now.

Born To the Purple: B(-) - A good Lando episode. Bittersweet when you know what happens to her

Infection: D - Just not a good epsiode, move along folks

Parliament of dreams - B - on rewatching, I decided the actress who plays Catherine Sakai is a truly gorgeous women. That, and the plot is good.

Mind War - C - it good to see Bester, and his assistant that gets blown up is cute as heck. The actual plotline is weak.

The War Prayer - C - Yawn, didn't think much of this episode.

And the Sky Full of Stars - B - Much Better on reviewing. And I must say that it must of been a amazing episode for the era, as you didn't see that type of episode in that era.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

No comments on the pilot? :)

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Which version of the pilot?

4. Distorted Humor

Yikes, forgot the pilot, will have to watch it next, it will be the one that comes with the movie pack.

5. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This show was astounding. Still my fav series of all time.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

It might be worth chasing down the original version sometime - if only to see what difference changing the music can make to a show.

7. Distorted Humor

I saw the pilot on TV all those years ago, need to watch it sometime. Which version is thought of of being better in the pilot?

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Definitely JMS's re-edited version with Chris Franke's music and less gorilla bartender action. The original version is for completists only.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I bought the whole 90 disc (or whatever) boxed set early last year. Still stuck at season 3. It just doesn't wear well. I remember loving it when I first saw it too.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, it hasn't aged as well as Deep Space Nine for general rewatchability, although the outstanding episodes, such as "Shattered Dreams", still hold up well IMO.

11. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Welcome back! Does that mean you never finished season 5? Oh, wow...

I've been thinking recently that I'm about to start another re-watch. It's like reading one of my 'old friend' books and never fails to grab me (though there are a few points I'll fast-forward through these days).

Jan

12. Distorted Humor

Yes Jan, never finished season 5, the last episode I saw was the Bester and girl from vacation episode. Since I never finished it I figured to start over :)

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I dunno about that. I only watched it for the first time about 4 years ago, but I have since watched the whole series straight through about three or four times. I think it stands up incredibly well.

14. Asbo Zaprudder

:o I meant to type "Severed Dreams" not "Shattered Dreams". Maybe I do need to watch the series again.

15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I agree. I only got into Babylon 5 when it was released on DVD here in the UK, and I've watched it four times I think. It's truly excellent. Sure some of the sets and SFX look a bit dated, and some of the acting is questionable, but the show had a small budget to work with.

And Distorted, this really is one of those shows that is a lot of fun to rewatch. Lots of little clues and foreshadowing that yo miss the first time around are more apparent. Of course you know (or up until that point in season five, at least) what happens to different characters, so it's good to see how they build towards the end of their respective arcs.

16. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heartily recommend Pat Tallman's new book "Pleasure Thresholds," which is a collection of photos she took on the set, and recollections of her career slanted towards her time on B5.

Available at cafe Press, and at www.b5pat.com

(note I am not an agent or salesperson, just big ol' Pat fan!)

17. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Ah yes, Pat's book ... Not only is it signed by both Pat and JMS, it also comes with a cd-rom that contains interviews, a new commentary for "Secrets of the Soul" and a chicken upstaging a telepath.

18. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I *loved* the new commentary and interview (not to mention Lyta's Chicken)! Just got mine on Friday. (yeah, I'm on the B5 Books Team but my only involvement in this book was one photo and sending Ms. Pat some notes on the Comic-Con edition)

Back to topic, I may be ready for another re-watch myself. The twitches from the last time (comparing scripts to DVD) are almost gone now. Almost. Any day now. <twitch> See? Hardly noticeable at all...

Jan

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Jan, I'm surprised that you even need to watch the DVDs anymore. Surely by this point you know the entire show verbatim. ;)

DH: The first re-watch of B5 is an interesting experience. There are still some surprises hidden in there and a lot of foreshadowing that you'll only notice now that you've seen the later episodes. It really struck me how most, if not all of the future portents turned out pretty much as advertised, just not in the context you'd expect. It takes a lot of forethought to get that kind of thing done convincingly.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Jan is the show.