Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

ha ha, I have visions of Crowe punching out an alien now!

2. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

God - I don't want to think of "Alien" and "Avatar" mixing.

Will the xenos be smurf blue?

:rolleyes:

Yeah and I KNOW that is not what Scott meant but I just have to vent that Avatar is being used as some kind of benchmark.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

And it will be until it's surpassed in any way. Movies are made by people who are in the business of making movies and understand that business, not by fannish critics. They can go ahead and ignore Avatar and become irrelevant; they know that.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Aw :(

5. Admiral Buzzkill

There will be 2D films produced for a long time, just as black-and-white commercial films didn't disappear overnight. That said, big-budget wide-release movies are going 3D.

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Like or loathe Avatar, nobody can question that it sets a whole new standard for future movies, especially movies that are striving for the spectacular, which tend to be wholly or partly in the fantasy genre.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Exactly. And the studios are highly motivated to use 3D to push the whole exhibition industry toward digital distribution.

8. Deckerd

Anyhoo, I'm encouraged that Ridley Scott's involved but, as with George Lucas, I have a sneaking suspicion his best work's far behind him. I don't see him making anything as understated and deeply disturbing as Alien in this day and age. Remember that almost all of the horror was just off-screen, or heard through the coms. I don't think any big budget movie director would dare to be that imaginative (and restrained) nowadays..

9. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm encouraged by "really nasty". I was thinking the only way to do this correctly would be to push the horror to the next level (the action angle has been done to death). Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement but I'd like to think that's what he meant.

Don't ask me how you're supposed to one-up the chestburster, but I'd be curious to see it.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe a buttload of them coming out of a Space Jockey?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was also intrigued by something he said in another interview-- that he felt he'd have to probably redesign the Alien itself, because of how familiar and play-out the original's become.

Frankly I have to agree with him. Now that we know what every inch of it looks like, everything it's capable of, and how it's entire damn life cycle works, there's just no mystery to it anymore.

I wouldn't change the shape entirely, but a lot of the details definitely need to be rethought.

12. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, everything that can utilise it well now has to be in 3D because why the hell not? 3D is like 2D but slightly better. It's like saying "why does everything have to have surround sound" (or even just "sound"). This is a big scifi picture which will undoubtedly have some sights that 3D will be great for.

Yes you do. You've thought about it before. You said in the Avatar thread that the only thing that would redeem Avatar were if it were set in the Alien universe.

I'm not keen on redesigning the Alien. A little bit, sure, every film has changed them a little (although the AvP2 ones seem pretty much exactly the same as the ones from Aliens). It needs to be pretty familiar if it can be: big penis shaped head, inner jaw, drooling teeth, bony "bio-mechanical" design, long tail with a blade... once you've got all that I can't see what else you can change and be radically different.

I am encouraged by the idea that it will be "really nasty" though :D

13. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Yea,unfortunately, 3D films give me headaches, a problem I don't have with 2d films, well, ones that don't suck anyway, so when they all go 3d I guess I won't be watching movies anymore.

14. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Same here. The max I've been able to withstand a 3d film was 45 minutes.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

3-D has certainly been lucrative for studios and theatres thus far. Despite mixed reviews which especially warned of the bad 3-D, both Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were big hits. If the public continues to lap up anything that is 3-D, paying the increased ticket prices for these pictures, then every big-budget studio picture will be released primarily in 3-D in short order.

I had hoped for a public backlash against converted 3-D films, but so far, no such luck. I'm sure Scott's eye for intense visual detail will lend itself well to the format, especially if it begins life in 3-D, but few filmmakers are so gifted/obsessed with such details.

16. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope we get another "synthetic" I love those milk spewing bastards! :techman:

even better get Sharlto to play one, maybe the first prototype sent with a team... yeah! Oh that'd be so awesome! :bolian::bolian:

17. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

I KNOW this would never happen but I was specifically thinking of the two styles being mixed. I mean I don't want to think about CGI xenos in a faux fantasy world like Avatar.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that might depend on what it's host was for all we know it might burst out of some huge hulking 6 armed alien and take non attributes from said alien like the one in 3 did from the dog.

19. Deckerd

The aliens take on the body shape of whatever they incubate inside. That's why most of the aliens you see are humanoid.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I just don't see it as being slightly better, at least not in its current form. Personally I found watching Avatar tiring, kept having to take the damn glasses off, and I didn't feel like I gained that much by it being in 3D, if anything it seemed jarring, kept constantly reminding me I was watching a film so I didn't feel I could lose myself in the story.

I realise I'm an old luddite who's in a minority here though :lol:

A 3D chestbuster on the other hand...hmm, you'd have to do that wouldn't you if you were Scott!