Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I think some fans feared Spider-Island would be a re-trend of The Clone Saga and it was anything but. Slott has been touching upon past continuity though. I wouldn't exactly call it a re-trend, but he's been shifting through previous continuity and bringing back concepts and using them slightly different. This is one of the things that I've enjoyed most about his run thus far.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bah, so he used the multiple Spider-Manish guys idea and bringing crazy ass Miles Waren and his band of clone minions back, he still has the is Parker's body or clone body or not and mysterious figures that tend to clash with a Spider-Man story and just go around being vague and in the end have f@#k all to do with the plot or its resolution and an endless molasses of lies, reconts, and general confusion to wade through and about a whole year to do it in.

3. Admiral_Young

What are you talking about clone body? Kaine is the only clone currently around, and Otto of course is possessing Peter's body. Also what mysterious figures? And what lies? Are you actually reading the book or just reading stuff from the internet or fan reaction? I get you don't like what's being done with the book...you've made that pretty clear in your posts, but I'm just not seeing the other stuff you're mentioning.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw those, I was hoping to find some of the big superheros, like Batman, Superman, Iron Man, or Spider-Man.

5. Hartzilla2007

I was actually talking about The Clone Saga, with its mysterious all powerful characters who seem to exist only to be mysterious and just dissapear, its seeming inability to decide whether Peter Parker or Ben Riley was the clone, and its inability to decide who exactly was running the whole thing or just what the hell was going on.

Spider Island would only seem to cover the Jackel stuff there's still the rest of that train wreck to pull from.

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Superior is currently better than the entire 90's runs of all the Spider books. Not saying it cant crumble but right now very strong.
    I love the Simonson art on Hulk but felt the last issues story was less than the previous few.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hulk brings past Thor into the present who meet past Original X-Men... Although, if Thor hasn't met Hulk yet, how likely is it that he's already had his first Mutant crossover?

But then Ragnorok/Clor over in Thunderbolts has just started tapping into Thor memories from the 1960s... Why would Tony use such an old genetic sample to make Clor?

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If you've ever read "The Life of Reilly," you'll see that the writers were making it up as they went because Marvel wanted to keep the damn thing going, so the points where it was supposed to end kept getting pushed further back and further back and the endings they kept coming up with kept getting tossed aside.

9. Admiral_Young

The Life of Rilley is one of the greatest things I've ever read on the 'net and well worth reading through.

10. Hartzilla2007

Oh can I take a minute to point out something, again.

I totally called it.

So anybody want me to make any other predictions? Because I've been kind of on a roll lately.

11. Admiral_Young

12. Hartzilla2007

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Er, what? I don't understand your post at all, Hartzilla. Sony (via Columbia Pictures) is still producing Spider-Man movies. That hasn't changed. Sony never published Spider-Man comics. There's nothing to "give back" on either front.

14. Hartzilla2007

They also had the animation rights, hence why Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled when Marvel got those rights and we got the mediocre Ultimate Spider-Man as a replacement.

I want Sony to get to animation rights back because I have no faith in Marvel since what they're putting out with the character sucks with the possible exception of the Ultimate Spider-Man comic (I've haven't actually been reading it).

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ah, now I understand. Your earlier post was rather confusing, since it didn't specify what you were referring to. Thanks for clarifying.

In any event, Superior Spider-Man is now the only Marvel title I'm reading on a regular basis. Slott has me for the long haul.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

You can blame Jeph Loeb for this.

17. Hartzilla2007

Can I blame Joe Quesada too?

Anyway now that I think about it another major problem I have is that the darker edgier moodier Peter Parker from The Amazing Spider-Man has gotten more character development and growth in 136 minutes almost a year ago than Doc Ock has had in 9 months (and by that I mean Ock has zero character development and growth at all as he is still the same egotistic asshat who thinks he's the greatest thing in the universe he was almost a year ago).

18. Admiral_Young

Avenging Spider-Man #20 was really good. Agent Coulson, and Agent Fury guest star as do Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Hulk. I think I might have stated this earlier in the thread but I really prefer Christopher Yost's characterization of Otto-Petter over Slott's. He writes him very subtly and not as over the top and in your face as Slott does. The art was pretty good in this issue as well.

Fearless Defenders #4: I was on the verge of dropping this book, but this issue changed my mind, at least for now as we got heavy plot development...and ended with a Heroes for Hire splash page :) I'll at least finish this opening arc.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course he has gone on record as saying SSM was too complicated.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've also been getting Fearless Defenders and while I wasn't on the verge of dropping it do feel this issue excelled.
    It looks like Dani has been granted her Asgardian powers again?
    She went from one panel being in exhaustion, torn clothes from the encounter last issue to ... BAM .... all decked out in shieldmaiden regalia.

Curious who the hero she called was on that last page....