Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by captcalhoun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it looks fine, but I DO wish they would just sick with the red and gold suit from the first movie. It's still the best of all of them.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"A lot of gold in there, a little ostentatious don't you think?"
    "I'm sorry, sir, I forgot you like to keep a low profile."

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

A little ahead of it's time perhaps but such technology isn't hard to believe at all for the near future.

As for the new suit...badass...

RAMA

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do mean the Mark VII. :alienblush: And those are some nice close ups.

5. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mulling on the armor some more, it's not really that bad an addition to Stark's armoire, but what makes me subconciously cringe at the sight of it isn't the presence of gold as the more prominent color.

It's the fact that silver is starting to be used in the main color scheme for the armors as much as the gold is. The Mark 3's armor is nearly dichromatic, the only exceptions being the eyes and small pistons and connecting points in the armpits, the "collarbone", and the back of the knees.

In IM2, the Mark 6, in addition to the triangular RT, the "bicep" and kneecap plates were changed to silver, which is the only part of that suit I couldn't get past (the RT shape at least has an in-story excuse, stupid, but explained).

In Avengers, the Mark 7's knee joints, elbow rotors, neck/shoulder collar, and HUGE thigh plates are silver. While the Mark 6's elements only slightly broke up the visual interplay between red and gold, the 7 is taking a sledge to it.

In this design, there's almost as much silver as gold, which muddles the already subdued warm tones of the gold and just makes the entire suit less vibrant. Blegh.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

If "near future" means in the next thousand years.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, the ability to keep metal in your bones and excrete it through your pores by sheer force of will doesn't really strike me as something that's going to happen any time soon.

8. USS Mariner

Do you happen to excrete fecal matter?

Then you have disproven your own point.

The Extremis dose physically remakes the body according to the instructions/specs given to it. It can grow new organs, muscles, tissues, etc.

The poop joke I made above disproves your argument because the digestive system is one of several biological systems that release/excrete something from within the body when they receive either an autonomic or conscious neural impulse from the brain.

I can't say that it's a great idea to remove a portion of ones bone marrow to store a metal skein, which requires an organic pore (and a fairly BIG one if the art is accurate, around green pea size) for it to come out of, but you could say that about the spatial relationship of the digestive and reproductive systems. ;) Or the fact that the stomach has to hold a liquid that is constantly dissolving its walls, or that the intestines have their own taste buds.

The only iffy part about the Extremis dose is that the subject can survive such a radical psyiological change, but that's pretty much the problem in EVERY superhero comic.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I do not will my food to be digested. My digestive system has been designed over many years of evolution to do it on its own. My bones were not designed to excrete anything through my skin. How does it get out of the bones? How does it pass through the muscles between the bones and the skin? How does it get re-absorbed into the bones? By thinking? Sorry, my point stands.

10. USS Mariner

Dude, your brain wills your food to be digested.

I'd go into the specifics of your other questions, but if you can't grasp the idea of what your ANS is, there's no way in hell you'd understand anything I'd say.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The armour is metal, non-organic material that weighs a considerable amount and contains critical components that cannot simply be compressed and or destroyed and recreated at will.

The amount of physical space it takes up is akin to most of his body mass, the whole point of the armour is a rigid metal exoskeleton that is rendered useless if it can be reshaped by a thought nevermind a bombshell.

It would mean Tony's body being destroyed, rent, turned insideout to force all that into his body and would bloat the battered remains out like a horrific balloon.

Excuse us if we find that A) impossible B) thoroughly repellent.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Some info on his Bleeding Edge armor which is an evolution of the Extremis

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I read that already, do you know how much that amount of platinum, iron, silver etc would weigh? Tony would be physically unable to move and the constant effort of the Extremis to stop his body from being poisoned would keep it busy 24/7.

Nanomachine handwaving doesn't really cut it.

14. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's tons of unbelievable things happening in these movies and tons of things that would kill Stark while using the IM suit , in real life.

The use of Extremis/Bleeding Edge armor will not be a deal breaker... for me that is.

15. USS Mariner

Bleeding Edge is what RoJoHen imagines Extremis is.

Frankly, Bleeding Edge sounds like it was written by someone who failed biology and wanted revenge.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just because one weird thing happens does not mean every other subsequent odd thing has the same legitimacy. The Arc/Armour are both what make him Iron Man and are necessary for the character.

Extremis is entirely optional and just to me and several others, seems to extreme a thing to have in a series that as far as Iron Man goes, wants to have a grounded sense of realism somewhere in the mix to keep things lower key than say Thor.

Having some of the endo-portion of the suit go wrong, or deliberately having some connections to the suit surgically added in a believable manner maybe, but using Mariners colourful way of saying it, him just shitting the armour on command in some fashion, no.

17. USS Mariner

Keep in mind that's it's almost certain that Extremis isn't going to go the internal undersheath route in the films, as it's never really an issue, unlike in the comics where it was for many years.

There was one suggestion that the film may introduce a neuro-wifi system and have Tony will the armor to put itself on, which I assume would satisfy both groups of fans.

18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, bones are hollow and porous for a reason, so there is room for marrow. The mass of the nanites has to be minimal to allow for continued biological functioning. If the resulting underwear is a micron thin and functions just as an extension of the nervous system it would be barely believable. I wouldn't consider it the "near" future, though.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just read the IM3 liveblog, and they described some footage. I don't know about reposting abut it here, since people were getting kicked out of the panel for recording it.

* It is Offical Sir Ben Kingsley is THE MANDARIN!

* John Favreau is giving tips and advice.

*While discussion Ben Kingsley's Mandarin "Shane says, "This guy is...The Mandarin".

* Rebecca Hall is Maya Hanson.

*Guy Pierce officially announced. Nothing about who he is.

*"Happy Hogan is so off the chain, says RDJ. It's like Swingers at 40."

*"Jon says now he gets to have fun. He gets to enjoy things without having the directorial responsibilities. He's also Executive Producer on the film. He's a proud grandfather who gets to play with the baby without changing the diapers."

*RDJ thinks Demon in a Bottle is a good concept, but doesn't have enough plot of for a movie.

*More footage.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral