Robert Picardo -- Best Male Trek Actor Next to Stewart

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by lordbaltimore1, Apr 16, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love his Esperanto movie. Incubus!

And my opinion of his acting went way up with Boston Legal.

However these "best" threads just seem silly to me, this isn't sports.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7AuyIwN2A[/yt]

2. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You have to say Stewart was the best actor in Star Trek

On a tier below that you have Nimoy, Auborjonis, Picardo and one or two others

Then Shatner, but Shatner could be tier 2, sometimes he sleepwalked a little bit.

Hmm what about De Lancie?

lot of quality actors tbh

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

In his review of Atonement, Ebert wrote:
    Cecilia, as played by Knightley with stunning style, speaks rapidly in that upper-class accent that sounds like performance art. When I hear it, I despair that we Americans will ever approach such style with our words, which march out like baked potatoes.
    He also had a quote about how Ian McKellen sounds as though he's got a natural echo chamber in his throat that magnifies and enriches his speech, but I can't find it at the moment.

It does seem to me that, as Ebert said, Britain has a much richer culture of speech, whereas we Yanks just say stuff. But since it occupies the semi-rarified realm of utopian sci-fi, Trek has a notable tradition of highlighting not only Stewart but also American actors whose voices just have a kind of je ne sais quoi, a melody to them. Billingsey and de Lancie have it. Brooks has it, and Dorn a bit also.

But, apart from maybe Martin Sheen, I can't, offhand, think of an American actor with a finer voice than Picardo's. It's got tremelo and music. It's really a wonder.

And he ain't a bad visual actor, neither. :bolian:

4. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Our words "march out like baked potatoes". How flattering. :lol:

But it's true. The way some people speak here in America makes me cringe. I find it especially hilarious when there are native English speakers on television whose speech is so terrible that they require subtitles. When did they stop teaching grammar in schools? I must have missed something.

But yes, there are some American actors with great voices, who do proper justice to the English language. Picardo is one. And I love listening to Martin Sheen. (I've recently become addicted to The West Wing, and Bartlet's nerdy history tangents always make me smile.) And David Ogden Stiers has an AWESOME voice. I could listen to him all day.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never watched the West Wing, but Martin Sheen always puts in a great performance. My favorite role for him was when he played Lee in the movie Gettysburg. Hard to believe him and Charlie are related. :rolleyes:

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

My favorite Martin Sheen performance is when he was about 23, as Private Dix in The Outer Limits: "Nightmare" during 1963.

7. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I knew there was a reason The Doctor was my favorite character.

8. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Robert Picardo is the man. :bolian:

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Adam Sandler is perfectly capable of acting, he just chooses not to. Ever seen Punch Drunk Love? The one film Sandler ever did with a good script.

If you take Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart and Spiner out of the equation Picardo wins by a landslide. Shatner, I dunno. He's one of those actors who's amazing at playing the characters he plays but who doesn't have a lot of range. Nimoy just might also be in that category.

But it's hard not to put Spiner above Picardo.

10. Melakon

I think Spiner does best with comedic roles. I see Picardo as adept in comedy, drama, and horror/fantasy. Any guy who can do both Eddie Quist and JohnnyCab certainly has a good range.

11. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

Shatner is the only winner of Razzie awards of all ST actors, if memory serves right. Tripple winner with The Final Frontier, worst picture, actor, director.

12. teacake

My least favorite actor ever. He is so repulsive I can hardly stand to look at him.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Not a Sandler fan, but he did make laugh in Chuck and Larry and Zohan.

I love Picardo's work with Joe Dante, which I guess led to this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjYJayuWoA[/yt]

Now if that ain't a fine piece of latex acting, I'll eat my John Merrick hat.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but Sandler is repulsive because of his script choice. If you held a gun to his head and forced him to act in a movie that actually had a good script, he'd do a reasonably good job.

Maybe I don't have a very good grasp of Picardo's range because the only other things I've ever seen him in are Stargate and Home Improvement. So I believe Picardo beats Shatner or Nimoy for range, but if you judge solely on their ability to play those specific characters, Picardo loses.

15. Paulcpick

Paulcpick Commander Red Shirt

I have a hard time taking Picardo seriously. Mainly because every time I see him in something, I cant help but remember him as a "Body Educator".....

16. Melakon

It took a little while for me to get used to Picardo as the doctor, as the local station was stripping The Wonder Years at the time and I loved him as Coach Cutlip.

17. teacake

Such irritable charm, the EMH. Delightful.

18. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Coach Cutlip! I still remember that terrible drawing he did of the female body during Sex Ed class. It was basically an amorphous blob with a head and legs. :guffaw:

19. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Do you guys realize that Robert Picardo himself just posted a link to this thread on his twitter account? :lol:

20. teacake

Oh My!

Oops, wrong icon.