DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

He wrote Wonder Woman back in the mid 80s. IIRC, it's one of the more highly regarded runs on the character.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That isn't saying much....

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He wrote Superman in Action for a bit too.

5. Nerys Myk

Maybe George Perez knows something about hispanic characters.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

And that narration was cheesy as hell too. With the over-dramatic way it's explaining everything, you almost expect to hear "Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice..." lol

Thankfully the interior art looks pretty decent though, and is a LOT better than that awful cover.

7. Nerys Myk

I assume it was supposed to a newsreport judging by the font.

Sorry Steve but Perez's dialog is better:

Your version sound like a sports announcer at a golf tournement.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No question that there's too much dialogue and the wrong kind - functional, "let's comment on everything we see and make sure no one out there's lost for a moment" - but the story and the look of the thing, judging from the sample, is fine.

You know what? If Perez needed someone in the comic to draw attention at all in these pages to the fact that Supes is evolving it could have been something less on-the-nose and more plausible - something like "F*ck, since when can he do that?" and maybe let someone watching the replay later comment on it in passing.

"Tell me we got a shot of him blowing the fire out. That's new."

"Jeezus, at this rate in three weeks he'll be spinning the world backward."

Or maybe the whole schtick isn't necessary at all.

When does Supes get to use first-person narrative like the rest of the DC nuVerse? :lol:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss all the times he would think "Great Scott!" when someone new would show up. :D

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

For those who read "Stormwatch" you know that that issue contained a "major plot point" that carries over from "Superman" (which I'm assuming has to do with Superman confronting Apollo). "Stormwatch" really should have been released the same week so people buying that issue wouldn't be irritated at having to wait a couple of weeks to find out what the hell they're talking about :)

11. Admiral Buzzkill

It would inevitably play as a steal from Alan Moore - but then, almost everything in superhero comics that's observant about their inner milieu does - but the fact that people are seeing Superman get more powerful before their eyes should give the government and particularly Lex Luthor one more strong rationale for wanting to contain Superman than they already have. Luthor's been hitting the "alien invasion" aspect pretty hard - what about the Doctor Manhattan/Gary Mitchell Effect: "If this keeps up he's going to have as much in common with us as we would with a planet full of white mice."

12. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

Someone asked about Resurrection Man? It's all right, I guess. I liked the art, but the awful design of the action scene--which should have been a horror scene, and this is different--dissolved all of the tension they'd effectively built. So it was both great, and sucked, at the same time, averaging out to being okay.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe Ms. Izquierdo (a?) is actually Sinestro in disguise?

14. Myasishchev

^_^

It is a real name though, e.g. Elisa Izquierdo, famous homicide victim, and Ricardo Izquierdo, M.D., a "plastic surgeon specializing in the Face, Breast, and Body."

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've gone back to not wanting to pick up "Superman" after reading the preview...Rao that was awful.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

I'm looking forward to it - this and Action are the two I've been waiting for ever since they announced this whole thing.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I presume that not everyone with a Hispanic last name knows everything there is to know about Hispanic persons, culture or surnames.

All the same, the surname and the use of language -to me- seems a bit... "needlessly stereotypical." ;)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Odd, since there's nothing stereotypical about it. The problem in this case is not in the comic.

19. Myasishchev

Seriously, dude, google "Izquierdo." Or don't.

Wait, Hansel?

[​IMG]

He's so hot right now.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I was obviously mistaken, not knowing who wrote the comic.

The name itself still sticks out as odd to me (it's not one I've ever heard or seen before) as is the character's use of Spanish in that manner struck me as odd as well.

The writer may be Hispanic but, in my opinion, that doesn't make the panel/page any less silly. It seems to be trying to hard to inject a Hispanic character into the story. Rather than making the character look Hispanic and leaving it at that they have to go all out and make the character practically say "Look at me! Mia Espanol!"

I may have been wrong about the intentions behind the author but I still find it a bit silly and "trying too hard" to diversify the comic's "cast."