NHLOL Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by the 4th hanson bro, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Re: NHL Offseason

Nah, my money is still on the Canucks winning NW.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

It seems both contracts are for 13 years and $98 million with a cap hit slightly above $7.5 million.

3. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Wow, that made the division that much more difficult to win.

I heard Minny has some pretty excellent prospects in their stable too, so this could be real trouble 2-3 years down the road.

Did not see this coming!

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think this makes Minnesota an automatic favorite in the division or the conference. It's two guys on a team that really wasn't that good this past year. I don't think two players make it.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

And the contracts just get more disgustingly insane each day.

It will (probably) never happen but I'd love to see the new CBA make these null and void. I wouldn't even care if there was another lockout. It's turning me off of pro hockey.

6. Garak

IIRC, the Wild were on top of the league around Nov/Dec last season, only to tank it for the rest of the year. I don't think this makes them cup contenders or anything, but they'll be harder to play in the 6 divisional games we get against them. When those prospects mature, they could be real trouble for the rest of the league. Its actually good to see as the Wild have one of the best fan bases in the usa and, and their patience (Lemaire, lol) has been rewarded.

As for the money being thrown around, I don't really care. If they have awful seasons and don't live up to what they earn then I'll give them a hard time, but generally I'm pretty happy when people make money in an honest way.

7. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't think the Wild would be able to land Zach Parise, let alone Ryan Suter as well. I guess it helped that Parise was from Minnesota. And the fact that the Wild were so cheap the past few years meant they had the salary cap room to pull it off. Finally a reason to be excited about the Wild again!

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

He'll be 41 when the contract expires. [​IMG]

Edit: Paul Holmgren is the dumbest motherfucker on the planet. Where is he going to get the cap space? He has almost none as it is, that signing would take him right up on the ceiling and force him to field a team of AHL players (which is about all he could do after forking over four years' worth of first-round picks).

I mean, there's a decent chance that Poile matches (the only thing that would scare Nashville would be the length, I think), but, holy fuck, Holmgren. You make Mike Smith look competent.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  10. Danny99

The new CBA better have a clause to limit contracts. Every GM should be taking a lesson from Mike Gillis, who is trying to unload the 10 year monster of a contract that Roberto Luongo has. Weber could be a superstar for 14 years, but 1) Why would a team risk that? and 2) What player who thinks they are going to be a superstar for 14 years locks in with a contract of that length when they could cash in later?

Silly.

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

A) Weber will never have a better opportunity to cash in and get as much money as possible as he will now.

B) The deal is pretty heavily front-loaded -- $56 million, of the total $110 million, is due in the first four years of the fourteen-year deal.

Why should every GM be taking a lesson from the guy who signed Luongo to that contract in the first place?

12. Danny99

^^^ To not do it in the first place Timby.

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

14. Danny99

Another deal where the star was dealt for spare parts (Anyone remember who the Flyers got for Lindros? Or the Penguins for Jagr?)

I am a bit miffed that Nash said no to any Canadian teams. Hurts my patriotic pride.

15. Garak

Should be interesting to see how Nash plays with quality players - we've seen what he can do internationally.

Nashville has matched the offer. Makes sense to me that they would.

16. Winterwind

I really hope the new CBA manages to include a maximum contract length like the NHL proposed.

17. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ What I think should be just as important is some sort of rule regarding the ratio between lowest and highest annual salary. For instance the ratio cannot be greater than two, so if the highest annual salary is 6m, the lowest can't be lower than 3m.

18. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

19. Winterwind

That's who Quebec got for Lindros, not who the Flyers got when they traded him to NYR. ;)

20. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

I can't read. Never mind.

:mallory:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.