Ryan Reynolds is Connor Macleod of Clan Macleod... WTF?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral James Kirk, May 19, 2012.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

According to AICN:

I like Ryan Reynolds but WTF? Are there no European actors left in Europe? Are there no French or Welsh Scottsmen available?

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Ewan McGregor would have been perfect for a new Connor McCloud.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reynolds is good; the Highlander movies weren't.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that idea. Reynolds on the other hand, is definitely not someone I would have picked. I know he's British instead of Scottish, but I was thinking I could see Clive Owen as a pretty good connor Macleod.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh lord. I'd facepalm but I'd probably give myself brain damage.

This part needs a brooding actor. This guy couldn't brood if his life depended on it. C'mon Renolds, just go do the Deadpool movie already!

I dunno about you, but I know I've been looking forward to the Hip-Hop remix of Princes of the Universe. :rolleyes:

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Agreed, the movies weren't. the movie was. And just to name drop a rising flavor of the month, Michael Fassbender.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, the original film is great. the sequels however...bleh. though, i did like the Highlander anime film.

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Yeah, Clive Owen would be good.

9. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Michael Fassbender would be great, too.

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Gerard Butler for the Kurgan, surely. imagine that "THIS. IS. SPARTA!" voice screaming "There. can. only. be. one!"

12. Saga

i always thought Thomas Jane would make a good Connor. IMO he looks like like Christopher Lambert.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Thomas Jane is too old to play Connor. Technically, so is Ryan Reynolds. I would have preferred that they'd cast a young Scottish actor, like Richard Madden from Game of Thrones. I like Reynolds, but I can't really picture him as Connor MacLeod.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Ryan Reynolds is too old? Mr. Babyface himself? Yoda, is that you?

15. Saga

:lol:

16. Skywalker

:lol:

I did say technically. He looks younger than he is, of course. Connor was only 18 years old when he was first killed (then again, Christopher Lambert didn't really look 18, either).

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No doubt they are but then you would be casting a Brit as the hero in the film instead of the villian. :p

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Ugh. I actually do like Reynolds, but there's such a thing as miscasting a good actor in the wrong role.

And this is a prime example. Reynolds is good at what he does, but he's every inch a modern-day American (okay, Canadian) man. An immortal Scotsman born several hundred years ago he is not or cannot convince as.

This only makes sense if one is set on intent on miscasting this movie as bad as the original (a Frenchman as a Scot, a Scot as an Egyptian with a Spanish name etc). But this even lacks the charm of the original's 'So Bad It's Good' casting choices.

McLeod should be cast young in this movie. I'd imagine they want to make a trilogy or franchise. Given that the lead should be immortal they need someone who's not going to look a lot older by the time of the third movie. I'd say that even the sprightly likes of Ewan McGregor or Michael Fassbender are too old. David Tennant isn't swashbuckling enough. Some of the young leads from Game of Thrones would fit the bill. Maybe a bulked-up Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

For Ramirez, I'd cast Javier Bardem or Oded Fehr (avoid Liam Neeson, the go-to Sean Connery sub of our era!) while someone like Ray Stevenson or Michael Shannon would make a good Kurgon.

19. Skywalker

Oded Fehr has long been my fanboy choice for Ramirez in a Highlander reboot. He looks Spanish, he looks Egyptian, he's got tons of charm and charisma. He pretty much is Ramirez. :techman:

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Great minds, sir.