Did the ‘Enterprise’ Augment 3 parter contribute to Cumberbatch Khan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 24, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Did the ‘Enterprise’ Augment 3 parter contribute to Cumberbatch Kh

^But why can't he just be Khan? Scotty has a much lighter build and less hair that his future self, McCoy is a beefcake when he "should" be scrawny. The Botany Bay crew are in pods when in the original they were slots built into the walls. Khan and Carol have British accents now. So what? He was excellent as Khan, IMO.

It's like arguing that The Joker in The Dark Knight wasn't the REAL Joker, but some guy who uses his name and that Jack Nicholson's Joker is still out there somewhere.

2. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

How did Phlox grow a fully adult clone of Trip in a matter of days?

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The problem with the whole Khan thing is that it's meaningless to non-fans, especially when it's dropped into the movie in Exposition Mode in the middle of the second act where it ends up not serving the story in an organic way.

4. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

I think it would have been a excellent twist to find out that Cumberbatch was just an offspring of the real Kahn. And then show Ricardo Montalban (CG) in a cryo tube at the end as the last reveal.

5. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The worst thing is for non fans who happen to browse the DVD isle for a new film to buy for movie night is the bright sparks at Paramount decided to blow the twist right there on the cover which is a down right bizzare thing to do.

Then again this is the same company who announced 'the death of the Enterprise' while advertising STIII and if they were involved with Star Wars would have put "Luke I am your father!" into the promos!

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

"NO, Luke. I am your father."

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How far off are we from creating a CG realistic Ricardo Montalban and swapping out Benedict Cumberbatch's face anyway? :p

8. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I'd argue that Season 4 of Enterprise as a whole had an influence on STID.

Augments!

Section 31!

Interference by the Augments/Section 31 threatening a war with the Klingons!

Peter Weller as a human villain!

A shocking terrorist bombing starting up the plot! (Earth Embassy on Vulcan vs. Starfleet installation in London)

And I think at least some of the people behind nuTrek (Orci/Kurtzman?) have already outed themselves as ENT fans by including the Archer/Porthos reference in Trek2009 and placing the NX-Alpha prototype and NX-01 models in Admiral Marcus' office in STID.

It's my personal theory that Orci and Kurtzman watched the 4th season of Enterprise, then they watched The Wrath of Khan and then they started to write the script for STID.

9. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

^
    exactly - i doubt hardly anyone outside of Trek fandom would have watched any of Enterprise too so they get away with it!

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"NO. I am your father."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

What would be gained by having a cgi Montalban? What would follow? You could not have Khan as fully used character in a sequel. What just show him frozen? Than people would disappointed. Any cameo like that would have lead to expectations of a larger presence in the story. But using CGI in a lot of scenes would not be effective. So they never would have done. Anything like this would have been a gimmick and would have been disappointed us.

12. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Gary Mitchell got augmented into a god in a few hours.

Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell and Starfleet deliberately fired him at the galactic barrier.