I need characters..

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Timbal, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Timbal

Timbal Cadet Newbie

Hey, people!

I'm writing a piece of fan fiction for a graphic novel about an unlikely group of friends on the Enterprise. I'm finding it hard to think of characters and i'd be very grateful if you could fill out this survey to inspire me.

It's pretty much like creating a character for an RPG. Remember the G.O.A.T test? It's like that, but shorter, and you can answer how you'd like to :)

here's the link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDCK6RP

Thanks guys!

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, something like that would be FAR better than asking other people to do your work for you.

4. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That won't work. Characters are the heart of any story. If you don't know them, love them and understand them in your own head, they're not going to translate well on the page. Just saying ....

5. Nerys Ghemor

At least a character generator is better than ripping other people's work, and with a little material to go on, you CAN build a convincing backstory...but only if you do a LOT of thinking and a lot of "heart-work" on the characters to make them realistic.

6. Timbal

Timbal Cadet Newbie

I'm studying illustration at university and the survey was part of the module. I needed to illustrate someone else's ideas to imitate the concept of working for someone, as if i was being commissioned by them.

I only need the basic details and one of the other questions answered.

Honestly, I am in no way using this because I'm lazy creatively.

7. Nerys Ghemor

I don't think you're going to find people who are willing to give their ideas over to anyone else that they don't know. Go ask one of your classmates, maybe, or a friend in real life who is actually in a position to know that you've gotten that assignment in school.

8. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

This.

And also what Nerys said... if a writer has an idea for a great character, it's more likely they'll use that character in one of their own stories.

9. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Exactly. I never give my characters away. I draft them and let them come alive on their own. But I've used the character generator for, say, the crew of a ship about to be blown out of the water. :)

The story is what comes first to me, and then I populate it with characters.

Quite so. Again, I'd rather someone use a character generator than let someone else do all the legwork for them.

Absolutely. Not going to let my characters go to a complete stranger. :)

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand that you might need to kickstart your brain regarding characters, but it is more satisfying if you come up with them yourself. I think the personal connection is stronger.

My advice is to look at your friends, family, coworkers/colleagues for inspiration at first. Or people you've met, or maybe people that you would like to meet or figures you admire. Start there, and maybe mix up a few characteristics or traits from those people to get 'new' people/characters.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Screw all of them, I love to help.

Let me see if I can come up with two or three for ya.

EDIT, program would only let me create just one ... Pur'Shall, the androgynous Kree

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  12. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Survey done. Hope it helps.

But here's a stupid question: Why not just have somebody else write the story for you and just illustrate it? Concentrate your creativity on actually drawing.

13. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

^

Seeing as how he's so lazy that he wants others to make characters for him, I doubt he wants to "concentrate" on anything.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That character generator sounds like a good source for inspiration.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I'm taking this explanation at face value:

If this is true then it defeats the purpose of the exercise for Timbal to be creating his own characters at all. The idea is to illustrate someone else's creation. I would assume that would include their characters, not his.

And even if it's not true, I see no reason to jump down the guy's throat just for asking. Say "no" or don't respond in the thread at all.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. JarodRussell

Well said.

BolianAuthor, don't be so sensitive. Your profession (or is it a hobby?) isn't in danger because of Timbal.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

which enterprise?

18. Nerys Ghemor

I still think that Timbal would get a far better response in person, from someone that he knows and who can know for sure he's in college, and even speak to the professor if required. Over the Internet with no accountability--sorry, but I wouldn't want my characters infringed upon that way if the explanation turned out not to be the truth.

19. JarodRussell

Because the world isn't a save place anymore if that character gets in the wrong hands!

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i just created Noth'Tog, an enlisted pakled engineer.

They don't let him touch anything important.