TOS-Remastered: a waste of time

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Pretty crappy, actually. And I'm a pretty big Star Trek purist.

Actually, it sort of depends on the shot. There are some scenes I find that look okay, but most of the Ent stock shots are overly grainy and make for a jarring viewing experience when seen side by side against the crystal clear principle photography. There is one original FX shot off the top of my head that I think looks much better than the new FX shot (from "Galileo Seven," when the shuttle launches; the old effect, sans wobbly starfield, looks much better to me than the new shot, which could be a scene from a Star Trek video game). Most of the matte shots hold up pretty well.

2. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

And yet people at the discussion forums for Phase II want to bash the new movie to bits (don't get me wrong, I like the show and want to see what they come up with next, but...)

3. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I also concur with the above..on HDTV s most of the old effects just scream out to be noticed..grain..artifacts on the composite show up...it's too jarring compared with the new effects at high resolution settings..

But as I have often pointed out..

A true purist "Who wants to see it in it's original resolution" needs to use an old electron tube TV and an old VCR to get the true Olde Tyme Star Trek viewing experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqgQ4-uyN4&feature=related

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Transferring to a 'current' stock would be unwise, since the stocks now have far greater latitude and would really mess up the look of TOS. The 'more advanced' stocks of the 1970s are the ones that decayed so fast that the water in JAWS turned pink before corrections were undertaken.

New tech, as usual, is not always better tech, but it is most often faster/easier tech.

The quality of the writing and performances and cutting and such is the main factor, I agree; but to me, the low-end production values of the live-action TOS shoots are a lot more disagreeable to the eye than most of the VFX shots (about half of which are totally watchable for me) ... on the other hand, the often cartoonish -R vfx have kept me from watching a full new ep in this incarnation, because it is like watching a movie rough cut with animatics in place of finals.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree w/ what you've written about the VFX shots. However (and I seem to be in the minority based upon others' posting) I still don't see many glaring issues w/ the live-action shots.

The other day, I saw the first really obvious flaw. In Mirror, Mirror, when Scott and McCoy climb the ladder to the little upper-level engineering room, I could see the seam where two wall pieces were put together.

Otherwise (and I am looking for them), I don't see any issues.

Doug

6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Note at least one of the links to the side are for clips with color tv's from the late 50's to early 60's. Those are the sets that Star Trek was made for, as well as the large number of black and white sets still in use. After all, not everyone had a brand new RCA Victor or Zenith (although Star Trek sold a lot of 'em); a lot of folks continued to get by with the old Dumont.

7. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen both versions, but I still like the original offering, visible "motion boxes" and non-digital displays and all :D

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

9. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like it if they could do a remastering that would keep the original effects, but clean up the stuff you shouldn't see, like the garbage mattes. Never saw 'em back in the day, so it was rather alarming when they suddenly became visible in later years.

And WHERE IS THAT AVATAR FROM!?!

10. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I could tell you... but then I'd have to... share.

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have season 1-2 on BR and i love the new effects, why, well because Star trek has in no way changed with these remastered version, the most important part of Star trek has always been the stories and the charactors and that has not changed in any way with the remastered version, all the stuff that i love about the original series remains intact, all they have done in update a part of Trek for me that was never i that important, they effects were there to help the story along but for me original Trek has always been about the stories and the characters.

And having TOS in HD has been like watching the show for the first time all over again, but i suppose anyhting that can draw me more into TOS is always a bonus.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yeah but all the things I love about the original series includes the original effects and that big, beautiful, hand-crafted starship model.

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Pretty much every planet ground set on stage fails for me, (though most are better than early TNG like HIDE & Q) ... set materials and styling are not really period (60s-designed stuff looked cooler, which is why the chairs are the only real period thing in TOS), they reflect what was used -- wood.

I don't find any of these wholly objectionable, but I find all of them a lot higher up on the 'if you had to tamper with the original, touch me FIRST' than the visual effects, which are usually brief cuts that go right by (and I only find about a third or a quarter of them to be really flawed, some of the ship shots in TOS are really solid), and in their original form, don't have the low dynamic range flaws of the -r CG, which is what registers (to me) as cartoonish.

14. man named Gorn

man named Gorn Lieutenant Red Shirt

This thread is a waste of time, not the remaster Fx in the eps....tit for tat, people. Paramount is not worried about the uber anal retentive types that HATE everything

15. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's not changed, the originals versions have been released on Video, DVD and now HD, so its not like the remastered version are replacing the originals, they are still there for anybody who wants them, i have them on the original CIC video release and the DVD release, but i found the HD remastered versions really added to my enjoyment of TOS immensely not only for the few remastered effects in each episode but seeing TOS in HD is just awesome.

16. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

exactly..though the "In Living Color" ads reached a fever pitch during the 60s when Color TV became much more affordable..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S60N2W5xzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxkzgGdqcM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-82zMVnL-co&feature=related

17. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I own and have watched all of TOS- R. My verdict? Thumbs up. The new effects are just icing on the cake. The stories remain intact. I liked things such as the Romulan Bird of Prey in 'The Enterprise Incident' and the D-7 fleet in Errand of Mercy.

It just adds a bit of flavour, thats all. And you can always watch the original versions on Blu Ray if you don't like the new effects.

18. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

:techman:

19. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

I,ve got season 1 and season 2 on blu ray and like the new cgi and added special effects. The story telling has not chaged and Wow the enterprise looks stunning and the planets look so real !!!

If you are still not happy with it check out the doomday machine episode its great .:bolian::drool::techman::techman:

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh, I thought the strafing run along the Doomsday Machine looked kinda stupid.