New ST:XI trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Sector 7, Nov 13, 2008.

1. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

The trailer certainly is busy, but still looks pretty good. The new 1701 looks better as I see it from more angles, even if the nacelles are, in fact, as close together as it seemed in the first trailer.

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks.
    ...and along with Mars Attacks, I was also reminded of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nimoy version).

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know how much I would agree with that, while of curse for the most part it shows the cast using modern (for them) technology. But pretty much each cast has featured characters that favor the old in some way over the new. Picard and his family seemed far more old school then new, not to mention his use of real books. Sisko loved real cooking instead of technology enhanced cooking, Paris knew the 20th century for auto's, Trip loved old cinema. And what little we actually saw on earth, still had earth much the way it is today, a mix of the old and the new. But as a huge amount of Trek was ship based we only could see what few personal items people are allowed. On TNG we often saw the cast (and various ones at that) using authentic musical instruments instead of computerized ones (the main exception was the keyboard and that was explained away about its not easy to carry a piano around with you. On earth Or Bajor (even Vulcan) we still see societies making use of old technology's and infrastructure.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^Good points, mswood. Something to think about.

5. SLWalker

SLWalker The OG Scotty Fangirl Premium Member

Insert generic but passionate defense of Jimmy-Doohan-being-the-definitive here. ;)

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it set the PERFECT tone. It said: this is not another standard, run-of-the-mill Star Trek movie. It's going to tell an epic, sweeping story and have a completely new look and feel from everything you've seen before.

The car scene, along with the Enterprises's construction on Earth, also establishes early on that this is something that's supposed to be happening in OUR world-- and not just some strange, barely-recognizable future world we can barely relate to.

7. SLWalker

Honestly (and I'm not picking a fight here or being facetious), I never had a problem relating to TOS from a human perspective. Some of the political statements were outdated, but a lot of them are still valid today. The characters seemed entirely human, though (and Spock was still entirely relateable); not perfect, not unrecognizable, not magically superhuman.

I never even questioned that we're still human, or that the future there isn't at all possible. To me, it was. Heck, still is. We just have to work harder towards it.

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

YOU don't have to be sold on Star Trek, you are already a fan. The trailer and movie are designed to appeal to a whole new generation of people who are NOT Star Trek fans already. THEY have to be sold on this new thing called Star Trek.

9. SLWalker

As someone who knows a bunch of new fans of TOS (not the movie, either), I can confidently say that the appeal is still there even forty years later. And that new people still find it and fall in love with it.

Mostly, for all the reasons I've already given.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention, how many holodeck programs did we see that took place in the past? For whatever reason, people in Star Trek just have a huge love affair with 20th century Earth.

It's not unreasonable to believe they'd also love the classic cars from that period too. No matter what century it is, those things will ALWAYS be considered works of art.

11. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

I agree. He should have been driving something like an old 'vette. :p

12. SLWalker

Nah. It shoulda been a Chevette, because the damn thing would have survived it.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, they should have had him drive one of these

[​IMG]

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see Kirk's "James Dean moment" happened when he was about 12. :rommie: Makes him seem far less silly. (However it also raises the canon problem of why Kirk could drive a car at 12 but completely forgot by the time of "A Piece of the Action" :p).

That trailer smacked of trying way too hard. Spock's the one with the obvious psychologically-based backstory. There's no reason to foist that on Kirk, too. Sure, he's ambitious and adventurous, they don't have to hit us over the head with it. It was always implied. They don't have to convince us.

And I definitely don't want the implication that his personal qualities are a reaction to childhood trauma or any such nonsense. That should be left to Spock. Some people are ambitious and adventurous because gee, I dunno, maybe they were born that way. Why can't they just take the simple route?

I'm also hoping that somehow that too-serious young Kirk that was mentioned in TOS will still be respected in canon. I like the notion that Kirk was not a hell-raiser or a partyer when young, and only when he started to achieve things in life did he loosen up and get that stick outta his ass. :rommie:

The brief glimpses of Pegg and Urban don't fill me with a lot of confidence that they will pull off their roles well. :wtf:

15. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

But really SLWatson, who would want a Chevette to survive anything?

16. SLWalker

I think Tarsus was all the trauma he needed to come across as understandable. "I won't let things like this happen again, and if that means breaking the rules sometimes, Hell with it." Would also tie into the seriousness you mention below, too.

Insert Steff brandishing her 'take-the-plot-concept-too-seriously' card high and proudly, defending Doohan and saying that Pegg (no matter how lovable) can never pull off Scotty.

17. SLWalker

I would! Those little bastards were easy to fix, very gas efficient and cheap! ;-) What more could you want from a car?

Well, except maybe speed and looks...

18. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the 'vette is an automatic. It's been awhile since I've seen A Piece of the Action, but as I recall Kirk's reaction is similar to lot's of people that can't drive a stick and sit down in one.

Spock even explains the clutch to him.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it did a great job in indicating that this is going to be a different type of Star Trek movie. As I've said to my friend this movie is either going to blow fans away, bring in new fans, or divide the fandom! I don't think the trailer tried too hard at all to be honest. It did a good job at teasing the movie without really giving anything away and making us want more. I am looking forward to next May along with the next trailer, which I'm guessing will be attached to Watchman.

20. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was trite, especially Kirk jumping from the car in slow-mo. I was half-expecting to hear Berlin's Take my Breath Away playing as he drove.

Mind you -- as I said, I thought the rest of the trailer looked great. I do understand the desire by the creative team to connect Star Trek with our familiar world, but I just wish they didn't do it be using a scene that looks like it came straight out of a bad 1980s action flick.