Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay I wanted to know because I switched out my phasers and quantum torpedo for antiprotons and a transphasic to match my ground weapons and the K7 vendors only go up to mark X.

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I just discovered that a relatively painless way to get a full set of blue/purple items for my ship and crew is to spend 2 hours in a star cluster solely scanning every anomaly I can find.

At commander level, I think I can craft a full set of purples with about 1000 research materials of various types and 5000 dilithium.

3. intrinsical

[​IMG]

I just made Commander and this is my current ship, the Akira class USS Charon

4. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ohh pretty

congrats on the promotion :D

M

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to crafting...
    I am curious to know how that works out for you at higher levels, since the dilithium cost will rise significantly for even numered items.

6. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I've found the Galaxy-x to be the best damage dealing cruiser on the Fed side (having the spinal lance* and being the only fed cruiser that can mount dual heavy cannons). However it does have the same turnrate as the Galaxy retrofit, meaning that you have to put real effort into bringing a target into your firing arc.

The excelsior retrofit is also pretty good when armed with 4x dual beam banks and 4x turrets

Have you tried Klingon Battlecruisers? Those things are just sweet, especially the Vorcha refit.

*The spinal lance fires two shots, each one dealing about 10000 damage properly specced and has a cooldown of 3 mins.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I downloaded the game today. And tried it out for five minutes.

I'm thinking about taking a break from SWTOR soon and might play this for a few days instead. It does look like fun

A few questions though: Is there just one F2P server? I didn't see an option to pick one. If so, is it separate from the premium people? From what I gather most of you still have pay accounts.

And is the CS mostly content, or vanity? PWE games have been the latter, but I know the current trend is going towards the former. If it is content, how far can you get before having to start paying? I do have some PWE currency left over from PWI and FW, does anyone know if it transfers? In both of those games it was called Zen, but here it's not obviously.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You can play without ever paying a dime. Some items give you an edge, but if you really want, you can collect in game currency to trade in for C-Store points to pay for them.
    There is only one server, if you don't count the test shard.
    Teh rest is a single server heavy instance game.

9. Hartzilla2007

Which is why it was so easy to get our fleet set up since you don't have to juggle who is where.

10. CorporalClegg

There's a TBBS fleet?

11. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

there is...

either search for it, or message one of us in the game and we can add you :)

M

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trekkian Sybil that I am, I switched back to my Excelsior Retrofit, as I was getting tired of taking so long to blast the crap out of things. Oh my god, I had forgotten how powerful that ship is. I laid waste to dozens of vessels without breaking a sweat! Hooray superior firepower! :ouch:

13. CorporalClegg

I'm a little saddened that there's no Ambassador class. :(

14. Hartzilla2007

Well they are planning to add it at some point.

15. intrinsical

Each rank gets to choose from either an odd or even level item. The odd level items are slightly weaker than the even level items, but its a not a very big difference. The way I see it, I get to choose where I want to spend my dilithium for an added boost in my equipment while the rest of my gear is still pretty competitive.

16. intrinsical

Unlike other MMOs, Cryptic tends to heavily utilize instancing technology so there is only one server shared by both premium and f2p players. Additional instances are spawned when current instances are filled (usually ~50 players per zone-instance, and chat works across all zone-instances).

It is 100% vanity. From what I see so far, f2p players get access to all in-game content, even player-made content (although f2p players cannot create their own Foundry missions). You only pay if you want more bank/inventory/duty officer slots, access to better uniforms or ships.

17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Although not a tactical ship, the Excelsior Refit can put a hurting on 'em. I use the LCDR Tac slot to drop a double load of plasma mines out the tailpipe. Precede that with Eject Warp Plasma III and you'll give anybody trailing you a serious bloody nose. You can also use it offensively as a flyover.

18. Rocketeer

I recommend saving dilithium for the RA or VA equipment. Anything you craft at Cmdr or Captain level will probably be eventually discarded.

19. Rocketeer

I'm not really sure about the terms they are using but, I assume that there is a server farm that is clustered into one server (shard). That server is then virtualized into several virtual servers (instances). I use clusters and virtual servers but I'm not familiar with the terms shard and instance. Someone smarter than me may know.

20. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't wait until they do!

Yeah, she packs a pretty punch! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.