Did Enterprise happen in this Star Trek's past?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brent, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Corinthian7

Corinthian7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The constitution class ship was from the Trek prime timeline and it was only ever seen in the mirror universe episode of Enterprise anyway. Love it or hate it Enterprise now has the proud distinction of happening in both timelines!

2. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

ROFLMAO

3. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

:techman:

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But if the events of First Contact don't happen in this timeline then the events of Enterprise will be substantially different than they were depicted in the series. Or maybe not.

Time to take some aspirin now.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This may be *part* of the TCW. Who knows, Daniels' group may yet send operatives back to prevent Nero's birth or something. :evil:

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd much rather prefer it if Daniels' group sent operatives back to prevent Daniels' birth. At least Nero is a maniacal villain, Daniels is too boring to exist.

7. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

There wasn't a Tasha Yar fighting in a brutal war against the Klingons in "our" timeline. But nevertheless such a Tasha Yar appeared out of thin air in the 2340ies and had a child which was to become a commander in the Romulan fleet.

So, it's possible that in this "new" timeline an Enterprise-E appeared in the year 2063, despite the fact that such a ship won't exist in this timeline's future. :)

2366 - Lt. Tasha Yar travels back to 2344.

2344 - Tasha Yar helps to defend the Klingon outpost on Narendra III, which alters the timeline in such a way that a future Federation-Klingon war is erased from history. She is then captured by the Romulans and gives birth to a child. In the meantime, Tasha Yar's younger self still grows up on Turkana IV.

2364 - Tasha Yar's younger self, who has also become a security officer on the Enterprise-D in this timeline, is killed by Armus.

2368 - The crew of the Enterprise-D encounters Sela. They have no clue where a child of Tasha Yar could possibly have come from.

2373 - Enterprise-E travels back to 2063.

2063 - Enterprise-E stops a Borg invasion of Earth.

24th century? - Nero travels back to the 23rd century.

23rd century - Nero alters the timeline in such a way that (among other things) the Enterprise-E possibly never gets built.

The question which should let you really lose sleep is the following: When the Enterprise-E travelled from 2063 back the 24th century shouldn't they now end up in the new timeline's 24th century created by Nero's temporal incursion? :lol: Or maybe not...

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Wrong forum. ;)

It would be cool if we finally found out who Future Guy was, like if Nero said something along the lines that he tried to meddle in the 22nd century but it didn't work, so now he's trying it in the 23rd.

9. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The answer is most likely "yes".

10. Cyke101

However, that's assuming that Abrams Trek leads to the TNG/DS9/VOY timeline that we all know of. There's a 50/50 chance of that happening because the writers of the movie have said that Nero, a TNG-era villain, would have some success in altering the timeline.

Early example: the writers' explanation for why the Enterprise looks so different than the TOS version is because of Nero's attack on the Kelvin years earlier, with the Enterprise herself showcasing a different aesthetic and technology as an effort on Starfleet's part to adapt. So right then and there, the timeline is already changing.

I'm a big, big proponent of the divergent timeline idea. It happened in Yesterday's Enterprise, it happened with the Mirror Universe, it happened with Parallels, and even Ensign Kim isn't really "our" Kim. If it's good enough for a multitude of Trek episodes, it's good enough for the movie, I think.

11. ClayHefner

ClayHefner Commander Red Shirt

It's still possible Enterprise was just Riker's holodeck program, loosely based on historical events. Like T'Pol never actually got horny in reality, but Riker used to play Trip in his holodeck fantasy.
    In any case, the awesomeness shield around this movie will make including Daniels or Future Guy very difficult.

12. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I blinked, what does that mean?

13. Cyke101

The angels have the police box, whatever the hell that means. :lol:

14. Karnbeln

Karnbeln Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Future Guy DID have pointy ears...

As for First Contact, one of the great things about the alternate universe theory of time travel is that it prevents the grandfather paradox. You can change an event in the past that would ordinarily mess up the time travelers from the future because the time travelers' timeline still exists. At the point of Nero's incursion into the past, there are now multiple timelines, the Roddenberry/Berman timeline (universe A) and the Abrams timeline (universe B). Both have the same past, featuring the Enterprise E showing up from the future and the Borg that were left behind in Regeneration. The Enterprise E may never exist, or at least exist the same way in universe B. However, universe A still exists, from which the Enterprise E came, so the E still shows up in the A-B joint past.

Of course, there would actually be more than just the two universes, not only because of all the time travel events in Star Trek history, but because every possible outcome of every event exists according quantum theory, which Bob Orci is famous for saying (repeatedly) that the film is using for their time travel theory.

15. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Really? I never noticed that. It would also imply a level of advance planning the ENT writers never seemed capable of. Mmh, do I really have to get out my ENT recordings?

16. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Did they really say that? Isn't this just speculation at this moment? Do you have a link?

17. Cyke101

I'm pretty sure it was linked to on these boards (frankly, i don't go very much else for Trek news). Give me a bit to find it.

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, of course. Thanks. :)

19. Cyke101

No problems :)

Okay, I found *a* link. It might not be *the* link, but I suppose it says enough about the timeline as it is:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob...-movie-fits-with-trek-canon-and-real-science/

You can also say that I probably extrapolated some details for myself (or rather, put words in the writers' mouths). The article does indeed say that Nero's attack on the Kelvin is the pivotal moment that changes the timeline. What I took from it was how technology changed as a result of the attack, which was a bit of biased premature wishful thinking on my part. But the writers do go out of their way to use the Kelvin attack to explain why the Enterprise is built in Iowa instead of San Francisco like in TOS.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

given what Orci said in the interview on trekmovie about certain things in the characters backgrounds being 'the same' in both timlines - like Kirk's rents being called Winona and George, or Scotty's transporter mishap, I'd guess that the divergence in the timeline comes sufficently after ENT so that it happened in both. say it happened in 2235 or 2250, that's well past the ENT time frame, so they have that in common.