CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Feb 4, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA-shooting July 2010:Casting, Rumors, Pics till rele

I meant in the movie.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Secret identities are boring anyway.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman Returns

4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree with that. I think if you do them right, they can be pretty cool. And they are a convention that's pretty unique to the superhero genre. I just find it interesting that about the only story that movies know how to tell with secret IDs is them getting revealed.

Bringing it back to Cap, does anyone think that Steve Rogers' drill sargeant Sgt. Duffy might make an appearance in the movie? A scene or two with him could add some cute comic relief as Steve pretends to be an incompetent soldier.

5. Broccoli

I think it depends on how it is done. Sometimes it is arbitrary where the identity is revealed because they didn't know what else to do. The early Batman films are good examples of this.

Other times, it is revealed as part of the adaptation process. The Spider-Man movies are good examples of this (MJ knows in the comics as does Harry).

Then, there is the middle ground when the identity is revealed/figured out by another character (typically a villain) for the sake of tension in the climax, but then the villain is quickly killed before the information does the hero any major damage.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

From all appearances, Steve in the movie won't have a secret identity. Good idea, because that setup never made the slightest bit of sense anyway.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked the fact that Carol Ferris figured out GL's secret just by not being dumb as a stump. :lol:

I thought John Byrne had the best solution to not having people poking around trying to find out your secret - his Superman never let on that he spent time "undercover" in street clothes to begin with.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Broccoli

Great! Now we can finally watch Cap either run away or get his ass handed to him in pristine DVD clarity! :p

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I assume he was talking about in the movie.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, the humanity. ;)

Next thing we'll see is just prior to the Fantastic Four reboot someone is going to release that Corman version.

"The film you thought that was burned and destroyed rises again"

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think people are overthinking such things. The international market just wants splosions and the content of the movie doesn't much matter. Just look at how well that Transformer twaddle does internationally. The foreign BO often makes up for a movie that's a domestic flop because it's deeply flawed in some way - Tron Legacy for instance. The same phenomenon will probably rescue the critically panned Cars 2. Sometimes I wonder if audiences are just seeing movies for the air conditioning. I guess it's pretty miserable in Nairobi this time of year.

I remain unconvinced that the subject matter of a movie counts at all when you look at international box office. What counts is not having a lot of confusing backstory and characters to catch up on. That's what keeps Star Trek at well over 50% domestic in the box office, whereas for most blockbusters, the domestic/foreign split is flipped. Event though Abrams did his best to keep Star Trek XI context-free, there's no way to divorce it utterly from its history the way movies like Avatar or the Transformer series can be.

Germany is just one market and maybe the fact that the Germans are the bad guys will inhibit box office in that country, but they won't give a flip about that stuff in Indonesia etc and that should more than make up for any shortfall in one nation.

Keep in mind that a lot of the international box office comes from people for whom WWII isn't really a part of their history, or even if it is, the audience - whose parents weren't even alive during WWII - isn't going to care. WWII is just some exotic fictional milieu, and why would it be more or less attractive than an alien world, virtual computer environment, giant kid's toys come to life, or mythological dieities tromping around on Earth? None of these mean anything to the audience outside of the theater and they are all equally valid backdrops for action and splosions.

Of course if the international box office does fall short for this movie, all it means is that they are stupidly depriving themselves of the best summer blockbuster of the year. Either way, I plan to enjoy the heck out of seeing Captain America. I haven't bothered with any of the other summer movies - this will be the first one I see this summer, and if Conan turns out to be a shambles, it will also be the last. Unlike the international audience, I am a tough sell. And San Francisco has natural air conditioning. :D

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

or maybe we just enjoy movies for what they are and don't fucking angst over it or expect high art all the time.

14. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

As I said, the fact that the Nazis are the bad guys is not the problem. On average, Germans probably hate Hitler more than most people. (Which might be the reason why Inglourious Basterds was a big hit here.)

It's the (American) patriotism that people tend to be appalled at. Showing pride in your country is something that became frowned upon in Germany after WW2. Other countries will not have that same problem, but they're still likely to react badly to phrases like "Heroes are made in America" and the fact that Cap runs around dressed as the star-spangled banner. American politics and wars are not a popular topic in most countries. People may be able to forgive shitty stories, but will they flock to see a film about a topic that they basically find offensive?

Of course, it's entirely possible that none of this will matter in the end. Maybe I'm overestimating the whole thing. I certainly would like the movie to be successful. (At least if it's as good as I hope.)

15. CaptainCanada

Bay certainly sets the standard for mindless flag-waving and fetishization of the US military, but that's not something right there in the title.

I don't think a Cap movie is unsaleable by any means, but it's a more difficult sell than the concept might otherwise be; calling it The First Avenger in many countries is an acknowledgement of that, and I expect the adds for those locales will downplay those aspects of the character (who has otherwise a very universal story and appeal). In general, heavily patriotic displays have highly limited appeal outside of the particular country they originate from; in this case, really muscular American patriotism is heavily associated with a worldview and set of policies that is highly unpopular in the rest of the world. To the extent that that matters, it probably does help a lot that Bush is no longer president.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Are they actually using that "Heroes are made in America" tagline in international trailers? I would have thought that would only be in the domestic trailers because of how touchy the rest of the world is about Americans' sometimes overzealous patriotism.

Besides, after reading some of the things Johnston and Evans have said about the character, I don't think TFA is going to be some flag-waving, "America **** yeah!" jingoistic commercial for American awesomeness. Steve Rogers is patriotic, but not blindly so.

17. CaptainCanada

It's only in the domestic trailer, from what I understand.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Steve Rogers is a New Dealer and Bucky Barnes is a Yipsel!:devil:

Better not, they'd burn the theaters down.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I still haven't gotten over Bucky's death.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Which one?