Apple drops anti-copying measures in iTunes

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by msbae, Jan 7, 2009.

1. msbae

msbae Commodore

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow! :eek:
    For reals? This sets a precedent...

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

4. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What about all of the songs that I purchased that already have iTunes' DRM-hexes on them? Will there be some kind of system update to purify them them or am I out of luck? I've never been terribly clear on how this copy protection stuff works.

5. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

There is, but you have to pay $0.30 per track... and you have to convert your entire library, you can't pick certain songs. Though I'd imagine if you have lots of songs from iTMS then DRM isn't a big priority for you anyway :p

Anyway, I'm very surprised that Apple did this and they get a big thumbs up from me for it! I'm not thrilled about the introduction of the tiered pricing scheme though, largely because I'm afraid it'll ripple down into the other online music stores.

6. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

A few things about this (which is great news, I agree)...Apple never wanted
    drm in the first place. It's just that now they have finally gotten the 4 big music cartels to agree to take it off (as well as hundreds of indies).

And there was always a simple way to take it off.

Step 1 - Buy album on iTunes.
    Step 2 - Back it up to CD.
    Step 3 - Delete album from computer.
    Step 4 - Import album from your physical CD backup into the computer - it is now DRM free and can be played as many times in as many places as you want.

Yes it is an extra step but you should be backing up your cd's anyway.

Bottom line - GREAT NEWS!

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

As I've only purchased 8 albums from the iTunes Store, I opted for the upgrade at about £2 per album. The upgrade increases the bit rate from 128 to 256kbps so I don't feel cheated.

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

As I understand it, tiered pricing was the trade-off demanded by the music companies for dropping the DRM. The recession combined with reduced music sales in general was apparently enough to convince them to finally make that swap at least.

9. msbae

msbae Commodore

I've never purchased anything from iTunes, and I don't plan to, either. There isn't much point in doing so when you own hundreds of CD's...

10. I use Amazon MP3. Glad to see iTunes has finally caught up! :thumbsup:

11. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

Then why has Amazon had DRM-free tracks for so long?

12. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well, at least one article I read interpreted the music companies' intransigence on that point as an attempt to let other outlets catch up with and provide competition to iTunes.

Also note that Amazon already uses the variable-pricing scheme which iTunes will now employ.

13. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

The music companies didn't want Apple (or anyone probably) to hold all the cards. They didn't want to be dictated to, they were used to doing the dictating. So they let other outlets have it but not iTunes because Apple would not agree to their tiered price structure. I guess something changed that now.

And Apple has had DRM free music from EMI for a while now.

14. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Anyone read about the ACTA treaty?

15. msbae

msbae Commodore

I just browsed at the Wiki article on that treaty. Of all the major countries that are taking part in the negotiations, China isn't among them. I wonder why... ;)

16. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Something that occurred to me while discussing this with my sons ...... this article discusses music downloads only. iTunes also distributes video, doesn't it? Is there an DRM enabled restriction there as well?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, and there will still be. TV shows and movies will always have the DRM.

18. Neroon

Is that because of the greater expense involved in creating the works, the potential for greater loss of income from pirated versions of those video based works?

19. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

That ACTA treaty is worrisome as it could involve relaxed standards for monitoring the internet en masse.

The bill is largely being created in secret and may include provisions for internet filtering. Australia is already testing it's firewall (a nationwide firewall which nobody can opt out of) which is to filter "illegal content".

This bill could be very dangerous to internet freedoms in regards to privacy and could even be used to impose censorship (especially if a government was to decide that content depicting dissent was illegal content).

CuttingEdge100

20. Neroon

As odd as this may sound ... is there any trustworthy place online where I can read up on ACTA? The reason I ask it that way is if I just simply Google "ACTA" I'm not sure what sites would be giving accurate information. This affects online activity, after all.