Ever like a show but...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by BruntFCA, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Seinfeld.

2. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

Concerning Frasier, the pomposity of the Crane brothers was, of course, the main ongoing joke of the show. And, in half-hour increments, the characters were a hoot.

However, I've been seeing the show re-run in strips lately--several episodes one after the other--and I have to admit that after two or three episodes in a row, those Crane brothers start to get really annoying.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That's funny, I watched three or four seasons of Buffy, and there were a couple of characters I really didn't like, but I always liked Buffy herself.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Not a big fan of Leonard on BIG BANG THEORY. He has his moments, usually with Penny, but mostly he's kind of a wet blanket who is constantly cringing over something. He doesn't seem like a lot of fun to be around.

5. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Wasn't he the villain? ;)

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, put me down for Buffy. I either hated or merely tolerated her character depending on the season, but I never liked her.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I liked Enterprise but didn't care a lot for Archer.

I wouldn't outright say I didn't like Jerry Seinfeld but he was definitely my least favourite of the quartet in that show (and I preferred recurring characters like Newman to him too).

Kind of a cheat here but I don't like the Sixth or Seventh Doctors in Doctor Who!

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the supporting cast on "Ally McBeal," especially Cage and Fish but never could understand why that skinny brat was supposed to be the main character/siren for every single (and some married) men in Boston... especially in an office that employed Courtney Thorne Smith, Lucy Liu, Portia DelRossi and Jane Krakowski as co-workers.

Vince on Entourage always deserved a shovel to the face, if you ask me. Did anyone not watch the show for Ari, Drama and/or Turtle?
    Actually, yes, he was. The only real difference between him and Roman was that he usually maintained a veneer of respectability.

9. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

That was generally true for me, but Buffy would be my answer to the OP too - late-season-7 General Buffy, that is. It was worse because I always really liked her through the rest of the show.

10. The Mirrorball Man

Ah then, I wouldn't know. I left at the end of the "College Robot Soldiers of Peace" season.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm not sure if that falls under the rules for the thread :p

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

That means you missed season 5, aka the best season of the show.

13. The Mirrorball Man

Oh well, I can live with that.

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't hate Buffy, but she was the least interesting character on her own show. Similarly, the first show I thought of when reading the topic was Angel. I didn't hate him; I just preferred to watch every supporting character.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I liked House, the character, he seemed a like a genuine character with complicated issues. And there were plenty of times he showed great moments of real humanity. They were fleeting, sure, but they happened.

To the OP: I agree, Fraiser Crane is pretty big pompous ass, quite the opposite of the man we saw on Cheers. At times in "Frasier" it was hard to go along with him and want him to succeed because, well, he was a pompous ass. Look at an early episode where he seemed to struggle going to a steak-house with his father and enjoying it -even getting his tie cut off as it was forbidden wear in the place. He acted like he was in a foreign country or something and had no clue what he was doing or who he was with. This was a man who spent pretty much every minute of his free time the last nine years or so in a working-class bar.

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

This!

She grew more tolerable once she stopped pining after Billy so much and accepted that she was simply nuts (what with the dancing baby and all).
    And I actually started to like her in season four when she dated Iron Man.

Not a big fan of Renee either.

But the show really was lucky to have such a great support cast and might have been even better if it was called Cage & Fish and didn't rely on Ally so much.

17. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

This. I always have to explain it as "I like Buffy, but I like all the other characters a lot more."

18. The Mirrorball Man

I have fond memories of the second season of Ally McBeal, which is, if I'm not mistaken, the only series - or one of the few - to deal with the themes of depression and loneliness for a whole year. They didn't use those words, but during the whole second season, Ally was basically clinically depressed, and I thought it was a radical idea for a comedy show.

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Homeland and Walking Dead, for me.

For as much acclaim as she gets, I find Claire Danes' performance to just be strange and inauthentic. The rest of the show is pretty great.

Andrew Lincoln tries so hard to be tough and complicated that the actor that plays his son even upstages him with a more subtle and subdued performance. And that kid just stands there silently in most episodes! Again, love the rest of this show, too.

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Olivia Dunham on Fringe didn't keep me from watching for quite some time, nor does Temperance Brennan on Bones. Seeley Booth is wearing badly too, I'm mentally writing a fan fic where his intuitive manliness gets everybody but his girlfriend killed.

But like most people if I positively dislike the main character, it tends to ruin the show.