Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Smallville Finale - What's the DOOR SCENE?

Jerry Seinfeld: "what's the deal with the door scene?"

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Smallville Finale - What's the DOOR SCENE?

I thought about the apartment scene too but given Brian's usual cryptic description of things I was thinking that he meant the final shot where Clark walks out the door onto the roof of the planet and rips open his shirt. It really could be either one of those scenes. They both are "Smallville" moments.

3. Admiral_Young

^ Williams music has been used in the series before...not sure why it was a surprise that it would be used in the final scenes.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I obviously missed it, having given up on the show ages ago.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not directed at you, especially since the producers seemed to agree, but I hate this line of thinking. Was TDK not Batman, or not good Batman, because it didn't have Robin? Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's ass whether there's a minor character in there named "Jimmy"? :rolleyes:

Hold on now; no reason to throw out the first two seasons-baby with the last-eight bathwater. And I fully stand by my opinion that on objective artistic merit, "Pilot", not to mention "Rosetta", "Lineage", "Memoria" (even though it's S3) and several others, are better than any of the Supes movies.

That said, from what I've read, and even taking Clana angst into account, the writing on the first three seasons absolutely blows this latter stuff out of the water.

6. Admiral_Young

I'll agree with Gaith (gasp!!!) the writing the first three seasons (give or take a few episodes) was much stronger than it has been under Brian and Kelly the last three seasons. There is a reason I only watched five episodes of this season, and why I borderline nearly abandoned this show after the last three seasons.

7. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I've continued to ponder this, and think it was a good ending for the Superman franchise.

But, ultimately, is a bit of a betrayal of Smallville.

(is this how people felt at the end of Ent?!)

Basically because it undermined its own story that it'd built up, in an effort to fit with the franchise - which it hadn't done before. It had honourned the franchise, but did its own thing.

I still enjoyed it though. Smallville has ranged from very good to very bad. Overall, it events out. It's a good show, with a good ending.

I watched Superman the movie today... the music must have put me in the mood!

Plus I thought more about Dean Cain in that suit paying me a visit in the night... but that's my private thoughts that turn up often.

And at the end of the day, I'll always be a Lois and Clark fan foremost. :)

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Lex getting a memory-wipe kiss/whatever from Tess was just bullshit and didn't need to happen. It undoes everything Lex has done and gone through over the course of the series. The Lex/Clark dynamic I always thought was one of strongest elements and a big reason why the show's quality dropped when Rosey left the series.

Erasing all of that not only doesn't make sense on the front of how Lex is able to go on to do all of his evil things but it just makes so much pointless. It would have made far more sense for Lex to look at Clark and say, "You've been lying to me since day one; when you saved me on that bridge I thought for the first time in my life I had met someone who could have been a real friend. I would've done everything I could to protect you from your enemies, from my father, and from the world itself, Clark. But you chose to remain in the shadows and hide yourself from me, and because of that there's nothing I can trust about you. Your friends, your family, they're all safe from me, Clark. But whenever you put on that suit you represent everything between us and I will make it my life's goal to bring you down to my level and give-in to weakness and the darkness that is inside all of us."

But, nope, a memory-wipe made more sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

At first, in this thread, i stated that the memory wipe was cool. But upon further thought, I agree that it was a bad move. They had built Lex up to be Superman's opposite, and he had all the right stuff to be Superman's nemesis in Smallville. I love the scene where clark said he'd be there to stop him every time. It looked like Lex was going to do everything he could to destroy Superman, without revealing who he really was. Then to just wipe that all way, was pointless and lame.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

What's the deal with all the drama about Lex's memory wipe? That's not the same Lex Luthor from the previous seasons anyway. It's just a clone/Frankenstein monster, goddammit.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't thought about it too much, but now I do have to agree that the Lex memory wipe was a bad move. I always thought Lex's arc was him becoming Clark's nemesis, but just when we get to the point where all this is about to come to fruition they go and wipe it from Lex's mind. :crazy: It baisically undid his entire arc, and made his entire arc kinda pointless from the perspective of setting his character up. If they didn't want him to remember Clark and his powers, then they should have just erased Clark, not all of his memories.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Purple kryptonite gave her AIDS.

13. Admiral_Young

^ Is that comment necessary? Lana was written out of the show two seasons ago when Kristen Kruek left.

14. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I like your version a hell of a lot better.

15. Admiral_Young

An even better resolution would be that the clone didn't retain the memories of Clark's secret due to traumatic brain damage experienced when the Fortress collapsed. Lex would still remember everything else except have that gap. He would still kill Tess. People are ignoring the sub-text of the mind wipe scene had to do with Tess's last act of redemption. Yes I might be delusional that it was the important part of the scene but we shouldn't be ignoring it. Tess was protecting Clark.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first 3/4th of the episode reminded me why I never could stay watching this show: angst angst talk talk, more angst, more talk. GAH! Drama is okay but not the after-school-special way these scenes are written, "Oh Clark, I wanted to marry you but I fear this is just a metaphor for my inability to deal with my childhood issues." There's no feeling of life to these characters, that they are individual, actual human beings, other than what the actors bring to the role. It's comic-book writing in the bad sense that term.

However, the ending was cool and worth hanging around for (or, rather, zapping to the end - not just zapping the boring angst but also the ads, which seemed to take up at least half the two hours - a bit excessive there, CW.) The John Williams theme was a nice surprise. I didn't expect that they'd bother to get the rights to it.

Erica Durance was very good. I hope she gets a role in something else. Unlike Tom Welling, she has enough screen presence to cut through the hokey material.

I agree the Lex mindwipe was BS. I'm not even sure why they felt the need to do it. I guess for the sake of continuity with the movies? Why is that important? They aren't planning another series taking up where this one leaves off, are they?

And what ages are the characters supposed to be at the end? Are they still in high school? They all look like they're 30 years old. They probably are...

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it gave you space VD?

18. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

Yes, The lex mind whip thing was bad. So why does he end up having it out for Superman after he knows nothing about him?

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

He mind defaults it self to the basic reason.

"This man/alien has more power than me. I want!"

New Lex just saw a red and blue being push a planet away. That should be enough to intrigue him

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is one valid reason to do a Lex memory wipe. Otherwise, he'd put two and two together that Superman is Clark Kent and would never hesitate to tell the world.