The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    Got him.

:D

He was a pretty notorious pegwarmer in many places, but Hasbro did cave to fan and collector demands and make him...for all the good it seemed to do anyone on either side. :p

All that said, he's a fairly nice figure. Bland. Milquetoast as hell. But fairly nice.

3. cooleddie74

Jocasta's cardfront:

[​IMG]

4. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since this thread is mainly Star Wars, something different :)

[​IMG]

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

BLOODY HELL! :eek: :eek:
    [​IMG]

6. cooleddie74

^
    Nanananananananananananana....MUST...HAVE!!!

7. OdoWanKenobi

Oh my god! It will be soooooo expensive! It's 1:6 scale!

Of course, this almost certainly means we'll also be getting a Batman and Robin to ride in it. Is it too much to pray for a Romero Joker, Gorshin Riddler, Meredith Penguin, and Newmar Catwoman, too?

8. cooleddie74

The debut of Sideshow's "Desert Nomad" Obi-Wan Kenobi at Comic-Con. This piece depicts the exiled former Jedi during his 20-year transition from Ewan McGregor to Alec Guinness. Some of you have probably seen at least one photo of this statue before, but now many more have been made available and they make this piece look nothing short of incredible.

They've really captured the midpoint in Obi-Wan's Tatooine exile...they've taken elements from the faces of both Ewan McGregor circa 2005 and Alec Guinness circa 1977 and blended them perfectly.

[​IMG]

9. OdoWanKenobi

I LOVE THIS PIECE!

I wish I had the money. Hot Toys has claimed all of it already.

10. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

OMG...where and how much?

I bought an elite version of the Mattel 1:18.

11. OdoWanKenobi

^It'll be up soon enough at Sideshow Collectibles. You're probably looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $400-$500. It is 1:6 scale, after all, and this is Hot Toys.

12. cooleddie74

Didn't know the price would fall within that high a range. Might have to forget about it, then.

Oh well...at least I can look at the awesome pictures!

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you guys see the Comic Con pics of the new Marvel Legends figures? some pretty cool stuff.

14. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, absolutely no way I'll be buying it either. I'm just enthused that it exists.

I did see the Marvel Legends, and frankly, they pissed me off. Half the figures in the wave are complete reuse. Mystique is especially bad. Black Widow's torso, Madame Hydra's head. That head was horrible in the first place. Why the heck would they reuse it? Doom is a straight up rerelease of the Ronan wave figure. Deadpool is a repaint/rerelease, too, but that one doesn't bother me as much. Absolutely nobody could find those two-packs when the figure came out. Also, what the hell is up with the Mini BAFs? That flies right in the face of the concept.

On the bright side, though, the rest of the figures really look great. I can't wait for Neo-Classic Iron Man, or the chance to finally own that Deadpool.

I really wish Hasbro would cut it out with the running changes being a whole different character. That makes them very hard to find, and perilous to buy online, which with Hasbro's horrible distribution, is usually the only option.

15. cooleddie74

Funny thing about Hasbro distribution right now...while it still generally and for the most part continues to suck an egg, did you know the Grand Moff Tarkin wave of Vintage has actually started showing up in many, many places? It currently has the widest range of distribution since the Episode I wave at the beginning of the year. The frequency of store reports regarding Tarkin and his wavemates has some collectors thinking that---at least with STAR WARS and the Vintage Collection---Hasbro might be getting some of its nagging distribution problems straightened out.

I think it's still way too early to say that the Big H is reversing its trend of Epic Fail, but Tarkin wave figures are showing up in all kinds of stores...even FYE outlets that specialize in movies and music. Their small toy sections have seen cases of Tarkin wave figures hanging from their wall pegs.

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i know what you mean. i was thinking that 'new' Doom looked exactly like the one from the FF wave. i'm looking forward to getting Hyperion, Sentry, Red She-Hulk and Dani Moonstar. i'll get classic colors Deadpool if i can find him. the rest...i dunno.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Was messing around a bit and made this:
    [​IMG]

I thought it was cool enough to share. It's the Wal-Mart exclusive Gordon. He's not part of the main waves, but he still comes with a BAF piece in the form of the shattered batsignal cover. Blake will come with the normal cover piece. Awesome idea using this exclusive figure as a way to give us an alternate display piece. Serious props to Mattel for this idea.

18. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Hey guys. I don't collect action figures so I know nothing about them. I want to do a craft project for some friends and family for Christmas, and I'll need some Trek figures. Could anyone advise me on buying the figures? I'd like either OS or TNG main character action figures, and possibly ships. But the thing is, I want mini ones -- like around 1/4 the size of a standard figure. I don't mind if they're used or damaged, and I'm looking for something pretty cheap. Anyone have any ideas?

19. OdoWanKenobi

Best thing I can think of is Minimates. They're kinda close to Lego figures, but there's plenty of Star Trek ones. Thing is, though, they're intended for collectors, so they aren't necessarily cheap for what you get. They're the only Star Trek figures that size that I know of, though.
    Try here and see if any catch your fancy

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^Those are really cute, but not really what I had in mind and a bit above the price I wanted to spend. I'll keep them in mind though if I can't find anything that suits the project better. Thanks for helping!