chances of a DS9-R project within 5 years?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

With the official announcement on September 28, 2011 of the TNG series being remastered to HD from 25,000 reels of film what are the chances of DS9 being remastered to HD in a similar way (from the original camera negative) say in the next 5 years?
    There are more CGI Visual FX in DS9 and would be more costly.

For your info the old threads on this topic:
    DS9 should get Remastered

REMASTER THE ENTIRE DEEP SPACE NINE SERIES.

Deep Space 9 in High Definition

and
    Bajoran Solar Sail craft, Put them in more when remastered.

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If the TNG revamp makes good money, then sure.

3. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

The need for new HD CG would be the stumbling block. Everything from Odo's morphs in Emissary to the epic battles in What You Leave Behind probably don't exist in HD resolution, and would need to be redone from scratch.

As much as I'd offer up my first-born to see the wormhole in HD, I don't think CBS would see enough of an audience for DS9 to spend that much time and money. :weep:

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I think ENT will get a Blu-ray release before DS9 or VOY ever do, simply because it would be more cost effective. DS9-R and VOY-R won't make the same kind of money that TNG-R will.

Television studios back then really shot themselves in the foot by editing on video rather than on film. It made financial sense at the time, but not many of them seemed to take the long term into account.

5. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see why not. When season six of TNG-HD comes, we'll get something of a preview of DS9 in HD with "Birthright, Part I."

6. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

See posts above for why not. Birthright won't be a problem as, AFAIK, there was no CG in that ep - shots in and outside the station were probably filmed on 35mm. But there's an awful lot of CG in the series itself, which'll either have to be remade (which will cost them) or upscaled (which'll look like crap).

7. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Extremely unlikely. The sad fact of the matter is that "DS9-R" simply is not nearly as profitable as the TNG blu-rays. DS9 has a loyal following, which is a good thing, but not a *huge* following, which is all that matters in terms of something they're pumping out for sales. The process to convert TNG to HD is, technically speaking, a huge pain. They won't go to a lot of trouble to bring DS9 up to more modern visual standards considering the lesser popularity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to have blu-rays for DS9 and VOY, but it probably won't happen.

8. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As others have said, the profitability of such a venture will be small in comparison to TNG. I don't see it happening.

I think "Enterprise" will be the next one released, as it'll be pretty easy to do.

9. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to think they'll release it in some half-assed HD at some point, but it's more likely to be "sharpened" than truly remastered for the reasons others cited. I cannot see them skipping any series for Blu Ray release however.

10. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if they would edit in some shields around the ships, that would probably be one of the easiest things to revamp?

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ You can't pick and chose SFX to redo. It's either everything or nothing.

12. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I can't see that happening then. The space battles looked good enough anyway, so it'd be stupid to change them just because it has to be "everything or nothing." Besides, too much work/budget for the "dark horse" Trek.

13. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

DS9 seems like less of a certainty than TNG. I think it's still likely-ish. Though maybe not within 5 years.

I would have placed lower odds on Farscape getting a Blu-ray and that is actually happening. Of course, the quality of that Blu-ray is up in the air. From what I've read it seems like they may be up-rezzing it.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually think TNG will be the last "R project" as far as Trek TV shows go. I think they'll start on the TOS movies next.

15. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

Remastering Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in high definition will probably make the series more attractive for television syndication or streaming sales to providers looking for programming content in high definition.

16. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

We always hear of the costs involved about redoing the SFX. Does anyone have an idea what the cost actually is - or an approximation? Are we talking tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands per episode?

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll do both DSN and VOY at some point, it makes buisness sense long term. Without it being HD the chances of them selling transmission rights decrease as HD becomes more and more common.

Sure they might not see a quick return on the investment but in the long term it'll make money. Remember as well with TNG-R they'll be able to iron out the issues and make it cheaper to do DSN-R than it would have been had TNG-R not been done.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I would think that it will get a HD release at some point - probably when the various technologies have become cheaper. There will be a whole bunch of old TV shows that need upgrading for rebroadcast so there will be progress / cost savings.

It may not have all of the effects redone, but there will have to be at least some 'fixing'.