Top Gear New Series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Orly?

2. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

That's why I said rumour. Apparently there was some chat along those lines on Radio 2 this morning - something about the FIA and footage rights. Seems unlikely.

3. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was impressed with both of them, it didn't feel as jarringly out of place as it could have.

Great episode, though, for sure. Every film was enjoyable, and that new version of the Veyron is absolute insanity.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I am gravely concerned for the future of human society if, albeit for only an hour or so, James May was the fastest man alive. :lol:

5. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clarkson to Cruise: "You do your own stunts ... you are proud of the fact that you do a lot of jumping up and down and falling off things."

:rofl:

6. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, that was the best regular hour of Top Gear in YEARS (the season-ending travel challenges excepted since those always rule). The thought of James May as the fastest man alive cracked me up, and the Senna special was just amazing.

More things like this and less juvenile overly-scripted stunts please!

A Final Gear post indicated there were some money issues with the F1 footage in Clarkson's Senna tribute (and the Beeb not wanting or not being able to afford paying for it on a pay-per-view basis, apparently) which means this one's going away and will probably be chopped out of the DVD release.

Thank goodness for torrents.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well my TV guide says Top gear will be on at 9.30 so I will have to catch it on I player as I will be watching Sherlock.

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Yep midweek repeat for me. Can't believe this series is over already.

9. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Is it true there won't be a series 16 just a christmas special?

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    I sure hope not.

I'm already disappointed this series was so short.

11. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Well it was a good episode to end on, imo. This series really felt good and soild, like they weren't trying to hard, or goiung over the top too much, to outdo themselves on whacky hijinks.
    Please say there is a summer special at they will be back october-ish

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I didn't realise Jeff Goldblum was such a luvvy. Perhaps he was just flummoxed by Clarkson's interviewing method: shout a few things and then shout a few things more.

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I thought he was a bit odd, but it seems like the American stars who get on shows over often don't quite get it and are overwhelmed.

14. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I think Top Gear is different enough that very few people get it. You sort of have to have seen the show a few times to realise that they are gonna ask you little to nothing about you work, social life and so on and just want to know what cars you like. After all is there another chat show that makes its guests drive round in a four door famaily car for a morning as part of their screen time? I think Goldblum, Cruis and Diaz adapted quite well.

15. Deckerd

I suspect Cruise had probably seen the show a few times. The two of them were petrolheads so it wouldn't be that strange.

16. Bob The Skutter

I don't just mean Top Gear though. Seems like they feel out of place on stuff like Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton and the comedy panel shows too. I don't know if it's the humour or what but it can often seem like they don't understand a lot of it's not serious.

17. Deckerd

Love the avatar, Bob.

18. Bob The Skutter

Thanks. Just saw it online the other day and had to have it as my avatar.

19. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I notice the same thing. There are very few American stars who come onto UK shows and "get it". They seem to work on the notion that they're on the show solely to promote something, rather than just enjoying being on the show. That might work on the US circuit, but it tends to fall flat over here.

One thing they need to realise though; nine times out of ten, we, the viewers, don't give a flying fuck what they're over here promoting. We have advert breaks for shit like that. We just want to see Ross, Clarkson, Carr...etc, ask them stupid questions, have a bit of banter, and then get rid of them in time for the next guest/segment.

20. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, they just seem bemused by the whole thing, especially on the comedy panel shows.