Question for Supernatural fans...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Thestral, May 21, 2012.

1. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

So I've started watching the second season (I know, late to the party), and I'm enjoying it so far something like 6 episodes in maybe, and especially liking Ellen and Jo in the mix. So I get to the big reveal about why Ellen got so upset when Jo ran off with the boys and the way the episode ended made me go look up the characters to make sure they'd be back. But what struck me as really weird was reading about negative fan reaction to Jo "intruding" and Kripke's decision to write her off... and that from then on he'd only introduce women as antagonists.

My question is... umm, why? I really like Jo and Ellen, and while I don't really expect them to become more than heavily recurring characters (especially now that I accidentally spoiled myself, haha) they provide a nice addition to the mix. Granted I like larger casts in general. I don't get the negative reaction just because she might've been a love interest, and I really don't get the "we'll only introduce women as antagonists from now on." Is there really a segment of Supernatural fandom that was "Eww... a *girl* hanging out with Sam and Dean?!" :wtf:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I never really got it, either. I guess people thought Jo was coming off as trying too hard to look cool in comparison to the brothers. Or that she was there to upstage one or both of them.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Same here. I liked them as supporting characters and I never understood the negative reaction. Allegedly, the female fanbase had some jealousy about anybody coming between them and their boys; I don't know how true that is. :rommie:

4. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

A lot of the female fanbase get upset about anybody coming between the boys.

5. issreliant

issreliant Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

it was fan reaction, (fangirls) but also that the love intrest between dean and jo never really worked, it came off as very big brother little sister, to me atleast. also that kripke didnt like the idea of the road house, too much like a perment home for the boys, and ellen and jo do return and have some big storylines in the future seasons.

6. Thestral

Bah, what foolishness. Why deep-six a good character over that kind of jealousy? :lol: My only complaint about SN season one was almost every woman they ran into seemed to be evil or dead meat.

Even if she hadn't turned into a full-flown love interest (though it was working for me personally) having a younger, eager hunter with them would've been a fun dynamic. And it's not like they've spent that much time at the roadhouse so far, plus it does a nice job expanding the universe to have a place where hunters can come. Ah well, not like I'll stop watching. :lol:

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Well, most characters end up as "dead meat" on Supernatural--whether male or female. The Sheriff, Jody Mills, is the only heroic female character who sticks around long term---but her role is rather small.

Actually, the only people you can count on surviving (more or less) are Sam & Dean. Everyone else is fair game. Sort of.

8. Thestral

Haha, that makes sense yeah.

9. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Supernatural is probably unique in TV history in that it is a series who's fans are primarily female yet HATE any attempt at introducing female characters. Every attempt at introducing a recurring female character has run afoul of this phenomenon.

The fangirls want their boys and ONLY their boys. Its ironic in that the male fans have actually liked some of the women introduced.

10. Thestral

^ That is ironic, yeah.

Ok, different question but still from Season 2. Does Gordon Walker the over-the-top Hunter remind anybody else of Charles Gunn, but gone over the edge? Not just because he's a black hunter but because he shows up in a vampire episode and his backstory is that his sister was attacked and turned and he had to kill her and has been hunting - especially vampires - ever since. Or is it just me?

11. Skywalker

I hadn't made that connection when I first saw the episodes. It could have been a deliberate reference, but I doubt it was really intentional.

12. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only female the entire fandom ever embraced was Katie Cassidy's Ruby. She was hot, tough and had no romantic designs on either Winchester boy.

When the Ruby character came back she was hot for Sam, and frankly, wasn't as good an actress as Cassidy. Everyone seemed to dislike the second Ruby.

13. Skywalker

I didn't dislike Ruby 2.0, but I did like the original incarnation more. Ruby's storyline probably would have played out in the same fashion no matter who was playing her (not going to go into details so as to avoid spoilers), but I preferred Cassidy's performance over Cortese's. Stupid budget cuts!

14. Thestral

Could just be me then. I've been kind of mentally comparing the two shows throughout anyway, which might have been part of my OP as well as the Gordon thing.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one in the female cast compares to Becky.

16. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw Ruby 1 as being a bit of a Mary Sue. She's the only good demon in the universe, with a demon-killing knife, who knows how the Colt works. She's a massively overpowered protagonist.

Of course, we know how that was supposed to work out, if not for the writer's strike. Ruby 2 is still competent and still extremely dangerous, but she doesn't know everything there is to know and isn't perfect.

17. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Katie Cassidy's Ruby was better because quite simply she was a better actress. Or at least a better fit for the role. You couldn't really tell which way she would go next. She had a few moments of humanity and sympathy, she helped the boys in a few tight spots, but there was always some hints that maybe, just maybe, there was something else going on... but again, you couldn't really tell if it was true or not.

Genevieve Cortese portrayed Ruby pretty much like pratty teenager. Even her final speech sounded like an attention craving teen, who didn't get the birthday present she wanted even though she was supposed to be talking about the friggin' end of the world. I can't really imagine Cassidy saying the same stuff and feeling that, yeah, it is the same character.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^See, this is why I only post here and don't read other fan-boards. I just watch Supernatural, take it for what it is, and go my merry way. I had no idea that anyone actual cared enough to get upset about female guest stars. There are only two main characters---Dean and Sam--and two regular supporting characters---Bobby and Castiel. Everyone else just comes and goes (mostly going) and I honestly never thought about it one way or another.

The only time I got upset was when they killed off my favorite character---but then dead isn't always "dead" on Supernatural, so I just kept on watching to see how it would play out.

20. Skywalker

They're crazy over at TWoP anyway. Don't take them too seriously.