So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I am pretty sure if Godfather 2 would had contradicted the first movie people would had benn pissed fiction oir not.

I am pretty sure even the game respects its continuity.

2. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Well, Godfather 2 and The Godfather are both movies, so it's not really the same thing. I don't expect a media tie-in to be as consistent as a film sequel.

I agree with you in principle Christopher, and for the most part I'm able to do that just fine. I would love to see the Commando series completed, even though it's a totally different interpretation of Mandalore than we saw in The Clone Wars TV series. As you say, it's all just fiction, and my goal is just to be entertained. :)

But I do find that I often still get that brief uncontrollable moment of jarring reaction when the out-of-date item first comes up. I can shrug it off and still enjoy the story just fine on its own merits, but it still took me out of the story for that brief moment. So I decided I wanted to get caught up on the Star Wars books and reduce the number of those moments while I can.

And besides that, I don't think I've been caught up on Star Wars books since Darksaber in 1995, so it would be nice to be caught up for a fresh start with the new trilogy.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  3. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier, Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Halfway through he stated that he can't speak for all "Trekkers". No, Neil, you certainly can't, considering that some of us prefer Trekkie... :lol:

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I finished re-reading the main series Honor Harrington books. I'm now reading Nate Silver's book The Signal and the Noise.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently reading Wolverine: Road of Bones by David Mack.

6. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished "To Reign in Hell" by Greg Cox quite a while ago and it was a very good read and passed all too fast. Then I read four Christian books: "Crazy Love" (text by Chan with Yankoski), "Living Crazy Love" (workbook by Chan with Beuving), then I reread "At Peace with Failure" by Mehl, and finally, "Against the Night" by Colson with Vaughn. As for perhaps more serious reading, I read "Joining Together: Group Theory and Group Skills" (5th ed.) by Johnson & Johnson (1994) which is a very good intro to groups -- might even be applicable to starships were they to exist. Lastly, I just read "Martyr" by Peter David (1998, ST-NF #5). If I am especially ambitious, I shall read "Every Officer Is A Leader" (2nd ed.) by Anderson, Gisborne, & Holliday (2006) which could be applied to security workers everywhere. Not sure what my next ST book shall be -- it shall be my 26th ST book this year though. I bought several omnibuses (omnibi?) for my reader and yet have not started reading SCE yet. And, I could put 'destiny is in my future' as a close for my postings -- hopefully it is a near future.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Blitzed through Soul Key. There were things I liked, but the book kind of feels like it was being pulled in a few directions at once and the result was a bit off from what could have been. I think Wood handled characters well, but it felt like some scenes were only there to showcase alternate characters. Things just sort of happen and move on. I'm still not clear on some character's motivations and Ben Sisko is a weird cipher. I would venture to say at least half of this book should have been in Fearful Symmetry leaving more room for the plot to breathe.

I've now moved into Rise Like Lions, which is a lot of fun 3 chapters in.

8. Drago-Kazov

He made it sound like contuinity does not matter at all.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I decided to just focus my Trek reading on TNG for now, so I've set aside Seize the Fire, and started up Timothy Zahn's Star Wars novel Outbound Flight. I'm only a few pages in so far, but I'm liking what I'm reading.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Imzadi by Peter David.I haven't read this book in along time.This book is so much better written Than the Imzadi 2 Sequel Triangle.I read it last year it's okay but not as well written as the original novel.

11. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Have you read Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles series, beginning with The Last Kingdom[/b]? Magnificent stuff. :)

12. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Some books I've previously read:
    *Salvage the Saint by Leslie Charteris (3 out of 5)
    *Star Wars Omnibus: Boba Fett (3 out of 5)
    *Star Wars Omnibus: Early Victories (2 out of 5)

Currently reading a self-published/indie book:
    *Pearls of Asia by Lee Geiger

13. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Okay, but I don't think that was what he going for. To me it sounded like he was saying that fiction is not always historically accurate to begin with, so when the official continuity of a franchise shifts like this and renders previously released tie-ins inaccurate, a good way of approaching it is the same way you would approach historical fiction. Abraham Lincoln didn't really fight vampires, but that doesn't stop someone from enjoying "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter." Apply that to the Star Wars universe and New Jedi Order becomes "Luke Skywalker, Yuuzhan Vong Hunter."

Or to put it in a Star Trek context, just because The Next Generation made Diane Duanne's Rihannsu books inaccurate doesn't mean you can't still enjoy them as an alternate history of the Romulans.

Film always trumps print. I think it was a mistake on the part of Lucasfilm to always talk about the EU being canon in the first place imho, because it all hinged on there not being any plans of actually making more movies. So now instead of simply having some inaccurate tie-ins, the official canon is going to end up changing, which is harder for many fans to accept.

14. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished New Frontier: Renaissance the other day. I'm now reading Percy Jackson: The Titan's Curse.

15. Drago-Kazov

You can, i won't read them.

Depends on the book.The Godfather followed the book closely. War and Peace will be more famous then any movie anybody made based on the book.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Let's amend that: Film always trumps print--when it comes to tie-in novels. I doubt that Fer was claiming that movies based on classic novels trump the original books. But when you have books based on movies and TV shows . . . well, yeah, the movies and TV shows set the rules.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  17. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished RBoE today and moved right into PoD.

18. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm taking a break from World of Warcraft so I can make a dent in my unread book shelf.

Kraken and Embessytown by China Mieville - both good in their own ways like everything I've read so far from Mievelle.

There is No Darkness and Tool of the Trade by Joe Haldeman - Tool was pretty good but Darkness was the weakest Haldeman novel I've read and I've now read them all except for the last one which isn't out in paperback yet.

The Rare Coin Score, The Green Eagle Score and Slayground by Richard Stark - Parker novels are always good action crime novels from the perspective of the criminal. I've liked everyone I've read.

Ganymede by Cherie Priest - Third in a pretty fun Steampunk Zombie series. I think I liked the 2nd in the series a little better but not by lot. I both 2 and 3 a lot more than the first one.

The Bottoms by Joe R. Lansdale - Besides this I've only read several Hap and Leonard novels by Lansdales. Those have been fun by this one blew all of them away. I liked it a LOT. I loaded it to a couple friends while we were in Cabo and they thought it was great too.

The Family Trade, The Hidden Family and The Clan Corporate by Charles Stross - The first 3 novels in The Merchant Prince series. I'm a big Stross fan and this series is pretty good but not my favorite by him. For that I like the Landry novels or Halting State.

19. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost done re-reading the Mission Gamma series, after that not sure what to read. Cold Equations 2 will be released next week, so that's something to look forward too.

I've been reading Game Of Thrones, since my girlfriend thought I'd like it. I loved the shows first season, haven't seen season two yet. So, right now I'm reading the first book of that series. However, my gf doesn't want me to take those books to work so I can read during my lunchbread (afraid something will happen to them), so I need to find something to read for those 45 minutes a day. I might try some Dickens again.

20. Drago-Kazov

I just started the Forever War, i only managed to read Robocalypse in the sc-fi category
    outside of tie-in fiction. Let's see how this will go.