Resident Evil: Retribution. Bit shallow, even by this series standards

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Not really surprised there hasn't been a review thread for this film. I don't believe I've ever seen the Resident Evil movies commented on positively around here. That said, I do enjoy them, I think it helps that I haven't really played the games, therefore I'm not disappointed that they are so far removed from their source material.

The only other one I saw in theaters was the third one. I guess that one didn't impress me too much because I skipped out on the fourth one in theaters. When I finally did see it about two months ago I was pretty impressed, and vowed I would see the fifth one in theaters( and in 3D, no less).

Like the thread title says, this movie is pretty shallow even by the standards set by the previous four films. Plot and disalogue are kept to a minimun in favor of extended action sequences between Alice and the soldiers of Umbrella searching for her.

See the jist of the film is this, after the events of the fourth film, Alice is captured and taken to an underground facility where she is interrogated by Jill Valentine, who is under the control of the Red Queen (the computer AI that was running the Hive facility in the first movie). Along the way Alice runs into some old friends from the first movie, namely Michelle Rodriguez and Colin Salmon.

Colin Salmon is all but wasted in the movie. Roriguez fares better, playing two different roles (the movie also invovles clones, but if that is a surprise to you by now, you're watching the wrong series).

The main crux of the film is Alice escaping from the facility, which actually includes test zones. A test zone is a huge area that replicates either: suburbia, times square of New York, and even Moscow. This is where the majority of the action sequences take place. Watching Alice fight off zombies while in suburbia is as neat as watching the rescue team sent to save Alice fighting zombie soldiers in Moscow. The action scenes are never dull, and keep the film moving at a brisk pace.

But when you look past the action, there's not a whole lot left in this film. Certainly you got Milla Jovovich, who is a fun protagonist to follow (she even shows off a bit of skin, which is always nice). So in the end, this movie really feels like filler, a means to the end. It's not spoiling anything by saying they set things up for a sixth (and presumably final) film. I just wish the events were a bit more interesting that lead us to that cliffhanger.

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Resident Evil: Retribution. Bit shallow, even by this series stand

I like these things as guilty pleasures, I might see this if I can find a cheap matinee. Maybe balance it out with Robot & Frank or something as well to feel better about myself. :)

Despite your comments I think the third was my favorite.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I don't really remember it all that much, just that I didn't go see number four in theaters.

I am going to give all of them a rewatch one day on BluRay; I really do love the way they continue on from the end of the previous film. Kind of like a action movie version of Rocky :p

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I slept through half of Retribution. A waste of a film. Though I have to admit that the ending hopefully sets up a much better sixth movie.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just not a movie that has a lot to say story wise until literally the last few minutes of the film. That closing shot of Alice and company and where they are practically begs for a follow up.

The premise of the film is that essentially she's a prisoner again but now in a unique "team up" situation with her antagonist. The facility just provides for interesting visuals and to bring back creatures we've already seen.

I think this the first film though that really requires you to have some knowledge of the film series though. As evidenced by the lengthy "previously on" segment. The first one I saw in the theaters was the 4th installment. Got caught up on DVD and felt ok jumping in, not sure that's as easily done with this installment.

It seems that a 6th film is set up to wrap up Umbrella vs the Resistance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Like I said earlier, this is just a film that bridges part 4 to the finale; you're right in saying it doesn't really have anything to to say.

I would blame Paul Anderson (it's so easy to) but then another franchise (Saw) had a similar problem where the fifth installment just felt like a way to get us from (the much better) fourth film to the sixth film).

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I'll be the one to say I love this series without reservation. I don't know if it's because I've never played the game or not, but if it is, whatever. My favorite character isn't in the game anyway.

I'd watch any kind of movie with Milla Jovovitch in it, and have, good and bad. (Right now, some wise-ass out there is asking "What GOOD movie has she ever been in?" It's a matter of perspective...) She's pretty, she's ridiculously athletic, and I get kind of a nerd-woody whenever I hear her talk with that pack-a-day-cig-habit voice of hers. If the film had cut out right after she said "My name is Alice. I worked for the Umbrella Corporation..." I would still have considered the ticket and the 3-d glasses money well spent.

I was glad Michelle Rodriguez got to play the girly-girl as well as the bad-ass, just to prove she was capable of being girly on screen. Maybe she'll get more parts like that from now on.

And (sigh) Sienna Guillory's American accent STILL sucks. I just wish she'd stop trying.

Sure, beyond the zombies and the automatic weapons and the monsters there isn't much to this film, but it's your own fault if you went to the movie looking to have some kind of literary experience. It's a zombie flick series based on a video game. I'm pretty sure none of the films will bring enlightenment or greater understanding of the Universe, so I don't waste time looking for one.

8. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I'm with you.. I loved the movie and I actually thought it was better than Part IV... I thought the plot was pretty good, making it more than just an escape movie.. Of course, if you try to think about it too hard, it falls a little flat, but I was glad to find some substance and that they tied it in to the first other movies pretty well with plot elements and characters.

I missed having Claire and Chris in this one, but really, there'd be nothing for them to do. This was about messing with Alice and having her mess with them back. I would bet that they'll be back in Part VI... Shall we take bets on the title?

RE: Requiem
    RE: Endgame
    RE: Restitution
    RE: No Jacket Required
    RE: Alice's Restaurant
    RE: Whatever Happened to Alice?
    :lol:

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least the video games have decent puzzles to solve. This film lacks even the most basic of plots.

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Then there's always:

RE: Alice Doesn't Work Here Anymore
    RE: Alice Aforethought
    RE: Quantum of Alice

And my personal favorite:

RE: Night Of The Living Alice
    Not true. It has the same basic plot as all the other movies, and the game, which is "They's a bunch of dead people runnin' around tryin' to eat folks! Shoot em and run!" And I would argue you don't need to be standing around trying to solve intricate puzzles when they's a bunch of dead people runnin' around tryin' to eat folks. ("Hmm, let's see...two brothers standing in front of the exits, one always lies..." GRRRAAAAHH! Crunch!)

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Resident Evil: Reboot

Since with the ending it seems
    the planet is going to need a reboot after this zombie plague has been running rampant across the globe. If Washington DC looks like that...

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of the last one being named "Requiem."

I do have a question/thought for all those that did see the movie:

When "Alice" wakes up in suburbia with the family during the zombie outbreak, I thought that was tied into the real Alice. But later in the movie it's shown that the Alice with the family was just a clone. So was there any connection to Alice and "Alice?" Or are they just two separate beings?

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

They're two different beings, Clone Alice and Project Alice. Both Alices woke up and we got to see what happened afterward, then eventually Project Alice reached suburbia and found what was left of Clone Alice.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

The Messenger (Joan of Arc movie) and Fifth Element. :p Sorry, couldn't resist, even though I know the quesiton was rhetorical.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Saw Resident Evil: Afterlife a couple of weeks ago and really like it. It was an above average installment to the series. Good story, good setting and both Ali Larter and Milla Jovovich were quite a sight. I also watched the movie thinking that Channing Tatum was in it. Then I saw the closing credits and saw that it was Wentworth Miller. :o Jill Valentine made a cameo at the end, but I couldn't appreciate it because I didn't recognize her. Oh, and why did they call it "Afterlife" anyway?

Saw the latest one this past Saturday, Resident Evil: Retribution, and didn't like it. Couldn't follow the story and little else was memorable. It was good to see some returning faces though, like Oded Fehr. I'd say that it was great to see Jill Valentine back in the mix, but she was so radically altered in looks and in character that she may as well have been someone else. Still, I enjoy this series and look forward to the next one. Hope they keep cranking these things out as lond as they can.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

The way it was edited though, it seemed like we were meant to believe they were the same person. Just a little jarring, that's all.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

That's okay. I just said that cause I'm used to being in the minority opinion when it comes to liking her films.

The Messenger was good, but there was a TV miniseries version that starred Leelee Sobieski that was just a little bit better. And while I liked Leeloo I couldn't fully enjoy Fifth Element because I spent half the film wanting to shoot Chris Tucker in the head. Meanwhile, I thought Ultraviolet and The Fourth Kind were great films.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Not exactly a Milla film, but she was pretty good in Dazed and Confused. Though I hear her role got cut down.

And count me as among those who liked Ultraviolet.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, (makes tally mark), that's two...

As for the scene in Suburbia, I assume the point was to fake us out by making when and where it happened an open question until Project Alice reached the right area of the base.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm not complaining, I did enjoy the scene. It's nice to see a good old fashioned zombie outbreak scene.

Did anyone else catch the fact that when Alice entered the Tokyo sector it was the same outbreak that was shown in the beginning of the previous movie? I think the music at that point was even the same.