The Beatles

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Norrin Radd, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I know which record of theirs I'd rather consider as their final statement to the world. ["Free As A Bird"? - someone] :guffaw:
    I managed to get hold of their German version of that song a few years ago. In the early days, for their German fans they recorded "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" and "Sie Liebt Dich" - quite fascinating listens, those. :D

"Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEKPg-mnEfg

"Sie Liebt Dich": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vGv_d0mk6Q

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

^ My sister used to know the German lyrics so well she would sing along....:D

BTW - I love this website - it's an examination of every Beatles song from a music theory perspective. My own understanding of music theory is limited at best, but I love reading this sort of stuff nonetheless. Plus, the guy's a true fan of the band.

3. Zulu Romeo

Neat website - I'll have to check it out in depth some time. :)

4. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’ve been a fan my whole life. What strikes me is the musical progression from 1962 to 1969. Those 8 years seem like 18. Bands today are lucky to get 3 albums in 8 years and they had what 16? The songwriting skills were just amazing. People may not like the style of the music but you have a hard time arguing against the songwriting success. Not to mention that the songs are in our cultural jargon. People mention taking the “long and winding road” to such and such.

The 60’s was also a crucial time for the evolution of rock music. It’s debatable how much the Beatles drove that change but it is certain that they were just a popular and powerful band that their incorporation of different sounds, techniques and even fashion allowed the fringe to become mainstream. It easy to look back on that time now and say the songs were too bubblegum but you have to remember that the envelope was just beginning to be pushed back then. The Beatles weren’t the only band to start pushing but their popularity allowed them more freedom to do so making it easier for others to do the same.

5. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just as with Star Trek, I can't recall a time in life when I was not a Beatles fan.

6. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Beatles rise above any other popular musical artist of the last hundred years. They are in many ways like the family of quite a few people. I completely understand where the OP is coming from... they are a part of our lives.

7. Zulu Romeo

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I read this article once with contributions from both music and political historians that basically suggested, had Please Please Me come out a year earlier or a year later, The Beatles would have dissolved into obscurity.

9. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Hendrix was a huge Beatles fan, IIRC he famously kicked off a concert with a cover of "St. Pepper" the day the album came out. So he was certainly inspired by them. Several of his songs, like like "Wait Until Tomorrow" are quite Beatlesque in their construction.

But to be entirely accurate, Hendrix didn't really take a lot from the London guitar scene - he was more of a source of inspiration for British guitarists. He had already developed his signature psychedelic/blues sound playing in dingy clubs in Greenwich Village in New York City when he was discovered by Chas Chandler and brought to London to record "Are You Experienced."

One story that's widely told (though it may be apocryphal, for all I know) is that Pete Townsend was walking into a London club where Hendrix was performing and ran into Eric Clapton on the way out. Clapton had an absolutely ashen, shattered look on his face, and Townsend asked him, "Oh, is this new guy that bad?" Clapton replied, "No, mate, he's that good."

10. CorporalClegg

^
    Apocryphal in a posthumous kind of way. It's one of those those stories that "evolves" after someone's death that in spite of (or because of) has no regard for authenticity.

And frankly, had he not had died when he did, I doubt he would have been revered as much is he is. But I digress...

11. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

When the HELL is "Let It Be" getting a release? Last time it was on home video was in the very early '80s when VHS was new-ish...and it's NEVER been on DVD. :( :( :(

12. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

And when was the last time you actually sat down to watch a silent movie? I would guess very rarely, and you're far more likely to watch a movie that was made after you were born that you can relate to more.

History lessons are great, if I'm in the mood for a history lesson. But when I want to listen to interesting and challenging rock music made by and for adults, the Beatles are about the last thing I'll put on.

I can't help but notice ITL's Robert Fripp avatar, and think about how Fripp's album Exposure blows away anything the Beatles ever did, IMHO.

13. Star Treks

Star Treks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love Robert Fripp, I love Exposure, but you still couldn't be more wrong.

Anyone with a rudimentary sense of music theory knows that the Beatles were some of the most innovative and important songwriters of the 20th century (a glance through the above-posted web site gives plenty of good examples of this). You may not like it, but for someone who cares to investigate, it is plenty interesting and challenging.

Oh, and I watch lots of silent movies.

14. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was because of Yoko

15. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

You've proven my point expertly. And I frequently watch silent films ... and to prove that I'm also a part of what I'm discussing, I can appreciate so much about the silent films, but I can't know what the experience of seeing them when they first came out was like. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate them, just means I can't appreciate them in the original way.

--Ted

16. Level 2 Diagnostic

So, Beatles fans are all avid watchers of silent movies? I think that about says it all. I can now gracefully bow out of this thread. If anyone needs me, I'll be in 2009.

17. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

And if you ever start making any sense whatsoever we'll be sure to let you know.

18. Level 2 Diagnostic

19. CorporalClegg

The root directory?

20. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time and yes I do almost consider them to be family because of how familiar I've become with them through their music.