Ant-Man and Dr. Strange part of Marvel Cinematic Universe phase 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I thought that was Nathan Fillion. :)

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I always have a problem with magic in comic books. It's too "silly" and rule-breaking.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Riiight, because a man who can stretch his body into any shape because of cosmic rays he was exposed to when he took three of his friends on a joyride in a stolen rocket makes perfect sense...

4. Greg Cox

I've always had a soft spot for mystical type comics characters: Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Deadman, Brother Voodoo, Son of Satan, Madame Xanadu, etc. It's probably the horror fan in me.

(Never really got into the Phantom Stranger, though.)

Heck, I even loved the old DOCTOR STRANGE tv-movie as a teen, although I suspect it hasn't aged well.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Your sarcasm aside, there is a key difference, in that one scenario posits characters who are essentially magic, and the other posits that magic suffuses existence. It's really the same fundamental difference between Wars and Trek, and to attack someone who likes to recognize that distinction is ungracious.

And what about Black Panther? Haven't we had about enough white male heroes by now?

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope!

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My only expsure to these characters so far is animation (Ant-Man in Avengers: EMH and Dr. Strange in his DVD movie), but those are enough for me to know that these movies could be really cool.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Relax, I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just teasing. And I'm pointing out that there is plenty about comic books that is intrinsically silly. There was a time when comic books weren't ashamed of that fact, when anything was fair game no matter how bizarre or insane, because it was all just supposed to be fun and playful and the creators and fans didn't get as self-conscious about taking it seriously as they do these days. Lee and Kirby certainly didn't care about the distinction between science and magic; the Fantastic Four may have gotten their power from cosmic rays, but Dr. Doom is as much a sorceror as a scientific genius.

And part of the fun of superhero comics is that they're a total melange of genres, everything from pulp crime fiction to space opera to fantasy to horror to Westerns to soap opera to comedy. If the Justice League (at least in the DCAU) can include Martian Manhunter, Vigilante, Shining Knight, Orion, the Demon, and Adam Strange as well as Batman and Steel, then it's not that great a stretch to throw in Zatanna and Dr. Fate as well.

9. Greg Cox

You know, that was one of the best parts of writing all those DC novelizations a few years back. I got to write every kind of genre imaginable--all at once: hardboiled detective scenes, space opera adventure, spooky supernatural stuff, sword-and-sorcery, superhero slugfests, even prehistoric caveman scenes with Anthro and Vandal Savage. Everything but the kitchen sink, including Krypto the Super-Dog!

And, bringing this back OT, let's not forget that Doctor Strange was a charter member of the Defenders, which, in its glory days, also included an alien herald on a cosmic surfboard, the king of Atlantis, a giant green monster created by cosmic radiation, and an Asgardian valkyrie!

Like Christopher, half the fun of comics is the sheer, larger-than-life craziness of it all.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Besides, magic is just technobabble technology that we can't explain yet.;)

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or it's just magic. :p

12. Greg Cox

So, what characters do want to see? Clea and Wong are non-brainers, along with the Ancient One.

As for the villains, the big question: do you go straight to Dormammu right away, or do you tease him a bit by bringing in Mordo or Umar first? Or do you go with Nightmare instead?

Thoughts?

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also not a stretch to include Dr. Fate in the JLA, since he was a founding member of the JSA in 1940.

14. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

I'd probably start with an origin story of Dr. Strange and develop the characters which would mean going with Mordo by default. Strange's initial disbelief of magic and his rivalry with Mordo. His discipleship with the Ancient One and later as his "father figure".

The second movie, I'd go with Dormammu and introduce Clea. This time go with more sfx with Dormammu and the Dark Dimension.

I agree with your takes on Lee/Ditko and Englehart/Brunner/Colan being my 2 favorite periods from the comics.Who can forget the classic "search for Eternity" or the Silver Dagger saga? However, my favorite villain will always be Nightmare!

15. Greg Cox

And Shuma-Gorath . . . and Sise-Neg.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If Dr Strange is important to Phase Three, that suggests that Avengers 3 is going to use a Dr Strange villain like Dormammu for it's big alien invasion at the end, just like they're doing Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy in Phase Two.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Which, ironically, was Hank Pym's take on he subject in his Mighty Avengers days.

18. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

If they did jump to using Dormammu right away in the 1st Strange movie, he would definitely bring a presence to the screen with the sfx head. I've always imagined a loud booming voice similar to that of the Guardian of Forever or the Melkotian in ST:TOS. Throw some curves in with Clea and Umar. Add a few hundred Mindless Ones to help with the alien invasion aspect and you've got the beginnings of a good movie or two.:cool:

19. Greg Cox

Works for me, as long as we get some psychedelic, Ditko-esque art direction as well.

20. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm looking forward to all of the new Marvel film announced thus far.

I only wish they could bring Daredevil, Spidey, Fantastic Four, & X-men back to the fold of a shared universe. I miss those guys.

Anywho...

Dr. Strange & Ant-Man are pretty much given based on what's been said, so I'm also hoping to see Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Heroes for Hire (Cage, Iron Fist, & Jessica Drew) at some point.

I'd also love to see Felicia Hardy aka Black Cat, but that's just because I want to see who they'd cast. lol.