John Simm wants to be the Master again

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Bob The Skutter, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Even I know the old doctor who staple trap and I've only seen a handful of classic era episode

The doctor- how did you manage to escape the so and so?

The master- oh there will be plenty of time for questions

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, crispy Critter into Ainley was about the only thorough explanation we ever got (And Snake into Eric Roberts, too I suppose). Many times, the same actor came back from a certain death (That we actually watched) with barely a handwave

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see him back, but leave the camp at home, m'kay?

4. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People actually feel the blond hair was a mistake? I couldn't even remember his hair color...Are there no blonds in England?

Anyway, if the Master does come back, I'd like them to acknowledge the events of "The End of Time" and have the Master do some reacting/soul searching. I'd ultimately like him to go back to what he's always been but you can't learn that your identity was based on something that turned out to be somebody else's meddling and not have an identity crisis. This seems like the perfect oppourtunity to have Simm explore his idea for a darker "Master".

5. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Well, his best bet at this would be (how he gets out of the Time Lock, I have no idea), but his turn darker will be trying to get revenge on the TimeLords. It'll have to be big, because they don't exist in time anymore. Maybe bring the rest of the Universe into the Time Lock. It's ok Steve, just give me a BASED ON AN IDEA BY credit. :)

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^I don't know that he really needs to get revenge on the Time Lords. The one responsible for planting the Sound of Drums in his head was Rassilon, who I doubt survived the Master's lightning attack.

7. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah ... bring him back. And the Time Lords with him. After he's become their despotic leader and rescued them from the Time Lock using ruthless cunning. A universe now at risk from a new Gallifrey that will stop at nothing to satisfy the Master's will.

There should be a season or two's worth of stories buried in there.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting that he didn't care for that take on the character. I'm not sure the show is in a place to handle it better, I'm curious what direction it will take in the too belayed post-Pond period.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I really like John Simm's Master, but he was really Tennant's Master, I'd just as soon see a new Master for Matt Smith's Doctor.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Well we never did learn how he survived Planet Of Fire.

11. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

In keeping with the tailoring each Master to the current Doctor theme, I think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a marvellous Moriarty for Matt Smith. Not that I'm the first to think that or anything. Hope it happens.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I just realized something. Anthony Ainley wanted to play a straight, darker version of The Master, too, and tried to do this in The Planet of Fire but JNT made him ham it up more. What is it about showrunners who want to make The Master all manic like against the wishes of the actors who want to play him straight?

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And speaking of Anthony Ainley, he stuck around as the Master from Baker to McCoy, so I'm not sure why there's a notion that the character must change with every Doctor.

14. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Well, there isn't, except that John Simm strikes me as the perfect contemporary of Tennant to play 10's nemesis. He's the Anti-Dave. So it strikes me further that Beanaddict Crumblethatch would be the perfect contemporary of Matt's if Moffat was to make a similar decision.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think Tony Curran would make a better Master for Smith's Doctor than Cumberbatch.

16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I'd like to see a transition from one Mater to another, not off-camera. And I would like to see Simm's darker, more still take.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

See, I like having a continuity of Masters between the Doctors. It emphasizes his role as a separate character who can also get recast rather than just a mirror of the Doctor. Of course, he can be a mirror too, but I wouldn't mind at least one episode overlap.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I have no difficulty with them re-casting Simm and the nature of the Master's role is that, like the Doctor, he can be reinvented. Having said that, it's been a long time (if ever) since any actor played the Master opposite two different Doctors (I believe Anthony Ainsley may have done so, no?) so it might be interesting to see how Simm's Master might react to a new Doctor, having only ever encountered Ten.

19. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this. But I could also see Simm as a character that ties the continuity of the 10th and 11th Doctor's together in a nice way.

Hey, why not have both!

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^They could do something like what they did with Derek Jacobi as Yana- have Simm make an appearance and regenerate soon into the storyline.