Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS version]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Re: Advance screening/World Premiere discussions [the NO-SPOILERS vers

You are correct, sir! I just like hearing positive reviews. James Berardinelli gave the movie 3 out of 4 stars, which from him is high praise, particularly as what he describes himself as a burnt out Trek fan who hasn't put on his ears in over a decade.

I will ready up on Mr. Bisley. Should be interesting. ;)

J.

2. rangaraj1987

rangaraj1987 Guest

TrekMovie Report From Sydney Star Trek World Premiere w/ Red Carpet Interviews & Photos April 7, 2009

by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Conventions/Events/Attractions, Star Trek (2009 film) , trackback [hotlinked image removed] The official world premiere of the Star Trek movie was held in Tuesday evening in Sydney Australia and TrekMovie was there on the red carpet and inside the event. See below for pictures and comments from some of the film stars as well as our report from the event itself. [NO Spoilers]

TREKMOVIE.COM AT SYDNEY PREMIERE
    by John Penberthy and Troy Parkinson

RED CARPET SYDNEY
    The Red carpet for the world premiere was frantic, with press outlets big and small all jostling to get questions in for the stars. We had a few moments to chat with some of the actors from the movie who were there, including the surprise guest John Cho. Here are the snippets and photos from each.
    [hotlinked image removed]
    Red carpet at Star Trek Sydney Premiere right before sunset
    TrekMovie.com: As a big fan, do you feel this film honors the original Star Trek?
    Karl Urban: Absolutely. I feel that not only is this a fantastic, fresh, hip, young, sexy reboot of the original franchise, but what Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have done is taken the very essence of what Gene Roddenberry created back in the 60s and given it a big shot in the arm, and JJ has put together a amazing ensemble. This film is fun.
    TrekMovie.com: Does the film involve famous catchphrases?
    Karl Urban: There are a lot of nods to long-term fans. We had the luxury to cherry-pick from forty years, those should make fans really really happy.
    TrekMovie.com: Is there any other character you could have wanted to play in Star Trek?
    Karl Urban: I couldn’t be more happy with the character I played, are you kidding? To me Star Trek was cult of personality than a science fiction show. My favorite scenes in the original show were where Bones and Spock to sort of argue and bicker with each other, and that is why I tuned is, is the characters on the show and that is the wonderful thing about this movie, is what JJ and this extraordinary cast has managed to do is capture the very essence of what Roddenberry created.
    ======================
    [advertising links removed]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Love that Tim Bisley review!

4. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

How much in terms of spoilers does Tim Bisley's review give away?

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Absolutely none.

But if you're not british the joke may be a bit obscure. If so go to Wikipedia and search for 'spaced'. That will help you find Tim Bisley

ETA: God above, I just realised I confused things terribly. Tim was a big Star Wars fan, and after Phantom Menace destroyed all his SW memorabilia.

Here's Tim's review:
    "This film is fucking brilliant!!! Sorry it took me a while to post this but I wet myself and was sick down my t-shirt because I was so excited and in love with this fucking movie which is brilliant. Did I say it was brilliant? I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and my faith in Science Fiction cinema has been restored. In your face Jar Jar you idiotic nonsense fucksmack. Live long and prosper all the fucking way I say!!! Oh god I can't stop crying! I have to call Mike!"

Tim Bisley (North London Science Fiction Review)

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

7. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

So, anyone looked up Tim Bisley yet?

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

9. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Tim Bisley is a character Simon Pegg played in the short lived (but brilliant) BBC comedy Spaced. It's where many of the people from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz first appear together.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Bumping this and responding, since there are some of us who haven't seen it yet as it's still 2 days away where we live and don't want to post in a spoiler thread, and God knows I'd be pissed if I found out a heavily spoiled plot point 2 days before the movie after waiting 2 1/2 years not to know everything about it, but that being said:

I got my tickets! :D
    They had setup a rope line for people to buy the tickets in advance (our theater waits until 2 days prior to sell advance tickets). We'll be seeing the Friday May 8th 7:00 PM showing, which is the first showing, so I will be going to our area's premiere Star Trek XI showing this Friday. I'm so excited I can barely control myself! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

J.

11. Michael Chris

Michael Chris Admiral Admiral

Nice, J!

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12 hours 18 minutes to go....

I shouldn't still be here to avoid any accidental spoilage, but I can't look away.:p

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well this is the [No Spoilers] thread. I bumped it up because there are some of us who haven't see the movie and won't be able to until Friday, and so to avoid being spoiled, I'm posting here periodically until Friday (I almost was when I visited the Spoilers thread to post and I can't even read my replies just in case someone posts something about the movie. I caught a certain word as I skimmed through that my highly analytical mind has already started to make connections with).

J.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm so annoyed. I couldn't get out of work at all this weekend, so I'm not going to get a chance to go see the movie until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest! :scream:

It's going to suck trying to avoid this forum for the wheel weekend. :p

15. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm excited... a couple of us are going to see it tomorrow night, and then I've got another group all geared up to see it in the Imax Saturday!! I figure we should be fine getting tomorrows tickets at the theater, but I've got my Saturday tickets all preordered!! Never been this excited for a movie before!!!! :D

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep! I was so worried I wasn't going to get the tickets in time. I ran into the theater out of breath. :lol:

J.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I hate being spoiled on movies (I'm looking at YOU, Rosie O'Donnell!). I was sure pissed when I found out that Chekov was a spy working for Nero and that Old Spock had to kill Young Spock.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

^ You are terrible. :lol:

J.

19. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Ow, my canon hurts! :scream:

At this point I have a group of about 10 people, myself and girlfriend aside, that are going and I very well may have convinced some co-workers to come as well! :techman: It helps that the theater is only five minutes away from my work too, so I was going to clock out and head right to the theater to stake out a place in line to get a good seat for me and my friends.

20. NCC74894A

NCC74894A Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I too am attending an advance screening on Thursday evening. Then I'll be treating my uber-Trekkie aunt to a Saturday matinee.