Janeway returning to Trek Lit? (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Janeway returning to Trek Lit?

If you were to do that, it would incredibly rude and disrespectful to someone else's property; it would be rude to other customers, who may be looking for copies of either series and not know where to find them because you have moved them; it would run the risk of getting store clerks in trouble with their supervisors, depending upon that supervisor's temperament; and it would be doing it over something a different company did.

It's not your property. You have no right to do that. Buy the damn book and burn it if you like, but don't fuck with someone else's stuff.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^It's not even that so much as that the people you're upset with won't even be aware of your gesture. Do you really think any bookstore you screw around with is going to contact Simon & Schuster to say "Some punk shuffled some of our books around"? I find it highly unlikely, and it -certainly- won't convey your desire to have Janeway be brought back.

If your feelings are directed towards Simon & Schuster, then take action towards Simon & Schuster.

As I've never actually been to a Chick-Fil-A (we don't have those in VT) I can only assume that a more appropriate analog to your idea for a protest would be if I went in there and shuffled the contents of their salad bar around in a nonsensical manner, rather than doing anything to specifically indicate that I took issue with their massive donations towards groups that are fostering homophobia.

3. Sci

Indeed; in both instances, it would be a much better -- and much less mean-spirited towards innocent third parties -- idea to send letters of protest to corporate HQ and to refuse to give them your business.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is Australia, you get 1/3 of a shelf for Trek stuff and 2 shelves for SW stuff, all right next to each other. There's not really a better visual location.

5. DonIago

You're missing the point, which is that if you want to send Simon & Schuster a message, this won't achieve that goal.

Or is your real goal to take out your frustration in a pointless display that will only hurt people that have nothing to do with whether Janeway is ever brought back to life?

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sometimes. Typically, the ratio reversed around the time of the 2009 "Star Trek" movie - and I even posted Melbourne and Sydney pics of bookshop shelves on TrekBBS to prove it.

7. teacake

Hurt people?

Dude, this is not shit in a game box.

8. teacake

I noticed that myself. It was quite a shock. However my friend at Dymocks told me that the Trek books were still not selling while SW steadily rolled off the shelves. Rolled off as in, once a week or so. I think most people buy stuff online now.

9. Sci

"Jim, why are these Star Trek books and Star Wars books swapped? Why did you move the Trek books to the YA section? I told you where to put them!"

You don't know what kinds of internal politics are at play in a store if merchandise gets mis-placed. Deliberately moving their merchandise away from where they are supposed to be? That's a violation of their property rights, and you could well land a clerk in trouble for no damn good reason.

They're not your goddamn books and you have no right to move them. If you want to make some meaningless protest over a development in a book series you dislike, write a letter to S&S HQ. Don't fuck with other people's stuff.

10. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

And this speculated over reaction is more likely than the clerk noticing while restocking or just having it brought to their attention by a customer asking for their desired book how? Your reaction here seems as overblown as teacake's idea seems trivial.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

coca cola paid me for a few afternoons work some years back where I went to all the convenience stores they leased free of charge soda can refrigerators to, and made sure of two things primarily... That I extract all non coca cola products from the fridges, and two, make sure that the coca cola products are displayed identically and uniform compared to photographic instructions they supplied me with.

That's a Nazi institution doing Nazi things.

I dare you to coherently challenge me on that.

Meanwhile I have friends who have worked at many major chain bookstores and the juniors shelving the books generally after they abide to the alphabet, they are allowed to get arty farty about their presentation, and they fight. The clerks go to war. I'm not talking about switchblades in the break room, but after layout... They manipulate the information available to make sure that their authors are dominant and others fall out of stock due to personal taste rather than saleability. An if there's a difference of opinion, it works into tides and pushing and pulling to make one ideology manifest depending on the swingshifts.

Mouthbreathing civil service like fucking angels restricting your options until you're a bloody Manchurian candidate.

In either case...

FIGHT THE POWER!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  12. teacake

You know I never liked the Titan series. I think I'll put those ones in Gardening.

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

You are SUCH a troublemaker! :alienblush:

14. teacake

My anarchist manifesto, "Rearrange This Book" will be available in the Cooking section soon.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I preordered The Eternal Tide this morning.

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The Voyager novels have taken the idea of introducing new characters a little too far for me. While DS9 and TNG introduced new characters to fill spaces in their personnel roster, the new Voyager novels have introduced entirely new characters on ships of their own. Voyager's characters were weak, but they don't need sidelined.

17. Sci

I've worked in retail. I know how hard store clerks work to properly stock a store's inventory; it's often long and unpleasant work, and imagining someone deliberately messing that up strikes me as so basically disrespectful that it makes me angry. No one's saying it's the same thing as theft or what-have-you, but it's a very casual form of selfishness.

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

So, your projecting your feelings onto everyone else. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

19. DonIago

Heh...mildly funny thing to say given we have people talking about boycotting all Trek literature, screwing around with bookstores, etc...

20. teacake

"People"?

Is this OCCUPY TREKLIT?!

:: happy dance ::