Can anyone recommend "Alias"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by byron lomax, Jun 7, 2009.

1. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

That's the Marvel comic series from earlier this decade, not the television series. I've read a synopsis of the basic plot, and it sounds interesting; the series is pretty short and I've come across trades for cheap. Should I get them? Do I have to know much about the Marvel universe to enjoy the story? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I can. It's absolutely superb. Since Brian Michael Bendis was largely blocked from using mainstream Marvel characters (although they do appear occasionally) you don't need too much knowledge. The book is set in the regular Marvel Earth-616 universe but due to the language and other content, Bendis was not allowed to have, say, Spider-Man casually appear and start swearing.

You might want to know a little bit about certain mainstream characters like Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Spider-Woman (both Jessica Drew and Mattie Franklin) going in though.

Feel free to ask any questions here as you go if there's something (a reference, a character you've never heard of etc) you don't understand.

3. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

Thanks so much, for both the recommendation and the offer for help if I need any! Hopefully I can get the trades soon.

4. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there a super mega hardcover collection that collects all of Alias and The Pulse? Or am I hallucinating?

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I'm not sure but you raise a good point.

After Alias finished, Bendis continued the series in The Pulse. This book is essentially Alias with more involvement in the mainstream Marvel continuity and without the swearing and other mature content. The book did not last much longer than Alias did, only fourteen issues.

This all took place while Brian Michael Bendis, thanks largely to the success of Ultimate Spider-Man, was moving up in the world and becoming arguably Marvel's most important writer. Bendis took charge of New Avengers and included many characters, some criminally under used, that he had previously used in Alias, The Pulse, Secret War and other titles. As a result, while not an actual member of the team, Jessica Jones is a part of the New Avengers overall cast and features fairly prominently.

6. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i don't know about the comic, but i do recommend the tv series. :)

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Which has nothing to do with the comic.

8. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

lol yea, but i liked it :)

9. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

There was actually going to be an Alias (tv show) comic. I saw art work, and added it to my pull list, disappointingly it never came out.

Alias (the marvel comic) is great, I have all the trades - definitely reccomended. The Pulse isnt as good in my opinion though.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I know you guys are talking about a different Alias, but this thread reminded me of how badass Jack Bristow was.